Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2019, 05:07 PM - 4 Likes   #64456
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
My foot is beginning to hurt.

A considerable amount.
It will feel better once it quits hurting.

03-19-2019, 05:32 PM - 4 Likes   #64457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Our Resident Smartass is in the building.
03-19-2019, 08:48 PM - 4 Likes   #64458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...quite the prophet; 100% accuracy.
03-19-2019, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #64459
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
How do you react to anaesthetic? I've always found it quite pleasant to go under, but disorienting and a little panicky on initial recovery... and some mild nausea afterwards, which is usually preferable to any pain that subsequently kicks in.
I have had many surgeries over the years, beginning when I was 10.

The nature of the experience has changed over those years.

I don’t recall much from that experience 53 years ago, except it was like falling asleep and then waking up an instant later.

Fast forward to me getting my wisdom teeth pulled at 16. Again, the details are somewhat sketchy, but it was like falling asleep, and then waking up an instant later. This time though, the waking up was rather sudden, like awaking with a start, quite forcefully.

My first colonoscopy was a bit different. I had some apprehension going into it. I don’t like needles, and when the catheter was inserted into the vein my anxiety level was high. When they applied the anesthesia it felt like I was sinking into water. When I woke up the sensation was similar to that of going under, only in reverse. Weird.

The last two surgical events were pretty tame. I was enjoying the stuff the anesthesiologist gave me to relax. In November I recall going into the operating theater, then waking up. Today I was out before leaving the preop room. The waking up was much like waking up from a really good sleep, only really stoned.

I think that ones attitude going into these things make all the difference in the experience. I try to stay open minded and relaxed, and find that it helps to make it easier to endure.

03-19-2019, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #64460
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
First and only time trying it was after my prostate surgery 11 years ago, they did not agree with my digestive system, only took one or two.
For most of the 20 years I took it the narcotic never caused any issues.

But the last two were awful. Locked up tight no matter what I ate. Asked the doctor what to do, and he wrote a prescription. I told him I wasn't going to take one drug to offset the side effects of another. Went to a "physiatrist" who got me on a program to get off the Oxy.

Been 3 years last Christmas.

Been awesome to not have a physical dependence on medicine.

When I take it like I am doing now, I take a senokot once a day to keep the pipes clear and things moving along.

Life is good.
03-19-2019, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #64461
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Good Morning All

Well.....
Racer has been in and out,that was quick ,hope the healing is too.

Dave
Thanks Dave!
03-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #64462
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
my dad has been on percosets (another hydromorphen product) for over 40 years.. for crippling sciatica .....
. he is 92 and still golfing so long term use has a benefit ...otoh his kidneys will fail sooner or later and he already decided against dialysis when it happens. ..... 92 living life fully .... cant knock that
That is great that it has given him a better quality of life.

But it is odd that a doctor would keep him on the high dose of acetaminophen long term like that. Just the narcotic by itself, in the extended release form would be a much better choice, with low risk and nearly zero side effects.

03-20-2019, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #64463
Veteran Member

why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread)

That is great that it has given him a better quality of life.

But it is odd that a doctor would keep him on the high dose of acetaminophen long term like that. Just the narcotic by itself, in the extended release form would be a much better choice, with low risk and nearly zero side effects.

I think the nature of how they prescribe has changed dramatically. But his doc didn’t. He finally retired but at that point dad was old enough no one wanted to try and make the change as the withdrawal itself could cause major issues for a guy approaching 90 at the time. And I will add that dad has his way of taking his 5 a day and doesn’t listen to his somewhat drug savvy kids. He takes 3 over an hour to get up because he wakes with headache and pain.... we have tried to explain he wakes with that pain because he is in withdrawal and if he spaced the 5 to every few hours it would not be as bad or as big an issue... won’t listen... oh well
03-20-2019, 06:09 AM - 2 Likes   #64464
Veteran Member

Happy Spring gang!

03-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #64465
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think the nature of how they prescribe has changed dramatically. But his doc didn’t. He finally retired but at that point dad was old enough no one wanted to try and make the change as the withdrawal itself could cause major issues for a guy approaching 90 at the time. And I will add that dad has his way of taking his 5 a day and doesn’t listen to his somewhat drug savvy kids. He takes 3 over an hour to get up because he wakes with headache and pain.... we have tried to explain he wakes with that pain because he is in withdrawal and if he spaced the 5 to every few hours it would not be as bad or as big an issue... won’t listen... oh well
That is too bad Eddie.

We know that one 12 hour time release is better twice a day, for better and safer health (because of the time release and absence of acetaminophen), and for the convenience of only having to manage two doses a day.

With no narcotic hangover.

I hope your dad continues to have a reasonably good quality of life, and has a great many years too!
03-20-2019, 06:17 AM   #64466
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our Resident Smartass is in the building.
Speaking of which, I have not seen the humble one around for a while. His OT must be his life right now....poor guy.
03-20-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #64467
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well in about fifteen minutes Mrs. Racer 2.0 and I will head into the city, to the Sisters of Providence hospital, so the foot doctor can take another shot at gluing the second metatarsal back together. He calls it a revision. In airplane manufacturing we call it rework.

So another incision, rework the bone splice, take a bit of heel bone to graft the metatarsal, sew it shut again and send me home with a splint.

After a week or two I get another cast, for another six weeks.

Yay.

I must admit the drugs they give intravenously and the general anesthetic are fun. But not something I like to revisit frequently.

See y’all on the other side, eh?

Rework is expensive, especially in plane work.

Nice thing with dentistry in the NHS here is that the price is for the job, such as a filling, to be finished, not a separate payment for each visit to the Mercedes buyer's office.

BTW: been with Mrs T v1 for nearly 28 years.
03-20-2019, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #64468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
...quite the prophet; 100% accuracy.
Kinda like hitting your head against the wall; it feels so good when you stop
03-20-2019, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #64469
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
If a cat has ever owned you, you will get this.

I was at a meeting yesterday and when it came time to discuss where to from now I asked the person beside me, "do we get three votes on this?"
03-20-2019, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #64470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Spring gang!
Hey look! There's Chuck!