Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2019, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #64486
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I have had many surgeries over the years, beginning when I was 10.

The nature of the experience has changed over those years.

I don’t recall much from that experience 53 years ago, except it was like falling asleep and then waking up an instant later.

Fast forward to me getting my wisdom teeth pulled at 16. Again, the details are somewhat sketchy, but it was like falling asleep, and then waking up an instant later. This time though, the waking up was rather sudden, like awaking with a start, quite forcefully.

My first colonoscopy was a bit different. I had some apprehension going into it. I don’t like needles, and when the catheter was inserted into the vein my anxiety level was high. When they applied the anesthesia it felt like I was sinking into water. When I woke up the sensation was similar to that of going under, only in reverse. Weird.

The last two surgical events were pretty tame. I was enjoying the stuff the anesthesiologist gave me to relax. In November I recall going into the operating theater, then waking up. Today I was out before leaving the preop room. The waking up was much like waking up from a really good sleep, only really stoned.

I think that ones attitude going into these things make all the difference in the experience. I try to stay open minded and relaxed, and find that it helps to make it easier to endure.
I suspect I've had considerably fewer surgical procedures than you... maybe six that required general anaesthetic. Frankly, I preferred them to anything with local anaesthesia... especially the dental stuff.

I was never anxious about going under. I found it quite amusing that, for a few of the later ops, I was given temazepam or something similar as a pre-med... Nice, for sure, but I really didn't need it. Going into surgery never worried me, and I guess I'm fortunate that needles don't bother me either (I wouldn't stick 'em in myself voluntarily, but for medical purposes I'm OK with them). But I never did like or feel good coming round after anaesthetic. Apparently I got a little fighty on a couple of occasions, which really isn't like me at all

03-20-2019, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #64487
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've got just the shoe for you.
With that shoe you just get any two in a box. No need to be fussy about left and right.
03-20-2019, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #64488
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I suspect I've had considerably fewer surgical procedures than you... maybe six that required general anaesthetic. Frankly, I preferred them to anything with local anaesthesia... especially the dental stuff.

I was never anxious about going under. I found it quite amusing that, for a few of the later ops, I was given temazepam or something similar as a pre-med... Nice, for sure, but I really didn't need it. Going into surgery never worried me, and I guess I'm fortunate that needles don't bother me either (I wouldn't stick 'em in myself voluntarily, but for medical purposes I'm OK with them). But I never did like or feel good coming round after anaesthetic. Apparently I got a little fighty on a couple of occasions, which really isn't like me at all
I'm OK with the needles, when they are needed, but would rather they weren't needed. It is the sting of the stick that I don't like. I have spent my entire life trying to get used to it and just let it happen when it is needed, but it still bothers me.

When I first started at the electric utility, way back when, he local blood bank would come around 3 or 4 times a year. My coworkers encouraged me to donate. After all, it was on company time. They finally shamed me into it, and I became a regular donor.

I finally called it quits after clearing the 3 gallon mark. It was getting tough for them to find a decent vein, and a couple times it wouldn't flow well.

Maybe I was running low.
03-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #64489
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been "knocked out" once for wisdom teeth, twice for my pacemaker (one was for its replacement) once for prostate surgery (I only had one of those) twice for colonoscopies, and once for an upper scope for my ulcer. No ill effects from any of them.
I had an epidural for my torn meniscus repair and watched the procedure on a monitor.
Mrs Bob gets very nauseated coming out of anesthesia.

03-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #64490
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been "knocked out" once for wisdom teeth, twice for my pacemaker (one was for its replacement) once for prostate surgery (I only had one of those) twice for colonoscopies, and once for an upper scope for my ulcer. No ill effects from any of them.
I had an epidural for my torn meniscus repair and watched the procedure on a monitor.
Why do they knock you out for colonoscopies? Here, those are usually done awake.
03-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #64491
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got just the shoe for you.
I wear these when I work.

I wear these when I drive my race car.

I like these when I hike.

I wear these when paddling my kayak around. Designed to get wet and then drain, they are comfortable and make a day on the river even more enjoyable.

We don't wear shoes in the house, but the doctor wants me in decent and supportive footwear all the time (save for those obvious times when one's feet are without footwear). So I wear these inside the house.

03-20-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #64492
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where's your cycling shoes Racer?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-20-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Who?
03-20-2019, 03:06 PM - 3 Likes   #64493
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Why do they knock you out for colonoscopies? Here, those are usually done awake.
It is my understanding that they used to do them while the patient is awake, but sedated some here too. But for some reason they decided to put the patient down.

Might have something to do with shoving a camera on the end of a 2000 foot hose into something that for most of us is an Exit Only.

I've had 4, all while "in that other place".

The gastroenterologist is sending me "we miss you" cards again. I guess they want to do another Exploration Southwest again.
03-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #64494
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The Hokas will do just fine.

I also don't don lycra when I bike. Jeans and a t-shirt, ball cap and sunglasses. Ice cold adult malted barley pops in a cooler pack in one saddle bag, snacks and lunch in the other.

There are a few of those reclaimed railroad grade bike paths around here. Makes for a nice sunny Sunday ride with Mrs. Racer 2.0.

Sometimes I will find a trail in the woods too, provided it isn't overrun with the mountain biking crowd.
03-20-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #64495
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used my race driving shoes while jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.
03-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #64496
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
With that shoe you just get any two in a box. No need to be fussy about left and right.
I only need a left shoe at the moment. Probably be June before I put a shoe back on the right foot again.
03-20-2019, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #64497
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Anaesthesia doesn't bother me for myself, but I find it difficult to see loved ones undergoing it.

Some years ago, my then very young son broke his arm badly, falling off a climbing frame at a birthday party. I went into pre-op with him, and stayed with him while he was put under. I'd call myself fairly hardy emotionally, some might even observe (incorrectly, I might add) cold... but watching my boy go under general anaesthetic was heart-wrenching. I'm not quite sure why. Then again, I've been with a couple of pets when they've been put under for different veterinary procedures, and that had much the same effect

Of course, my boy and those pets were just fine. My current cat, Boo Boo, is sweet and funny post-op (which I've experienced twice now)... All he can think about is his food and a cuddle
03-20-2019, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #64498
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I wear these when I work.

I wear these when I drive my race car.

I like these when I hike.

I wear these when paddling my kayak around. Designed to get wet and then drain, they are comfortable and make a day on the river even more enjoyable.
Regarding those race car shoes... In the words of the immortal jazz musician, Charles Mingus:

"The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jiveass Slippers"
03-20-2019, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #64499
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We're more humane here in the USA, making the prep and fasting the most dreaded part.
03-20-2019, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #64500
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

We're more humane here in the USA, making the prep and fasting the most dreaded part.
My Dad had a colonoscopy very recently. Even considering the lack of anaesthetic (just a mild tranquiliser is given here in the UK), it was the MoviPrep before-hand that he disliked most of all
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »