Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2019, 05:53 PM - 3 Likes   #66061
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That does seem an interesting way to see the animals. I'd prefer a Landrover.

But, I learnt something this last week. The reason commercial hot air balloon flights are so expensive is because of the costs involved. If you have a friend with one, he may only ask you to pay for the gas. The commercial operators need to make a profit, so they factor in the cost of the pilot's time, the pilot's certification costs, the balloon canopy and basket certification costs and the cost of the gas. On top of that, the balloon canopy has a limited lifespan. If flown "cool", the canopy will be flown at around 90degC, while, if flown "hot", the canopy may be at 120-130degC. This deteriorates the fabric much faster and hence the shorter flight hours. If flown more gently, i.e. slower ascents, then the lifespan of the canopy can be extended. But, if pushed hard, the envelope will deteriorate faster.

If flown only during cooler weather, and with a light load, the canopy may last around 300-400 hours. But, if flown heavy, during warmer weather, and with fast ascents, the canopy has a lifespan of about 200 hours.
So, to break even, the cost is divided into the 200 hours flight time and divided by the number of passengers along with a factor based upon average numbers booked per flight. Hence the high cost per person, per flight.
And everyone deserves to earn enough to be comfortable, and get paid appropriately for the work or service they are providing, eh?

04-25-2019, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #66062
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And everyone deserves to earn enough to be comfortable, and get paid appropriately for the work or service they are providing, eh?
I vote Racer for president of common sense!
04-25-2019, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #66063
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I vote Racer for president of common sense!
tiphat
04-25-2019, 07:55 PM - 3 Likes   #66064
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. So, for example, if you have a $15,000 basket, burners and gas bottles hanging from a $80,000 balloon, and you're looking at certifying the commercial pilot and the balloon and other gear, roughly $22,000 every two years, you can see how quickly it all adds up to quite a bit of money. On top of that it's a good few hundy to refill the gas bottles and then there's support vehicles and support crew etc.

04-26-2019, 12:02 AM - 2 Likes   #66065
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah, they mostly use Landcruisers these days. I think the last time I sat in a Landrover was in Zimbabwe. And before that in Tanzania, but they apologised for the inconvenience and promised to transfer us to Landcruisers as soon as possible

QuoteQuote:
But, I learnt something this last week. The reason commercial hot air balloon flights are so expensive is because of the costs involved. If you have a friend with one, he may only ask you to pay for the gas. The commercial operators need to make a profit, so they factor in the cost of the pilot's time, the pilot's certification costs, the balloon canopy and basket certification costs and the cost of the gas. On top of that, the balloon canopy has a limited lifespan. If flown "cool", the canopy will be flown at around 90degC, while, if flown "hot", the canopy may be at 120-130degC. This deteriorates the fabric much faster and hence the shorter flight hours. If flown more gently, i.e. slower ascents, then the lifespan of the canopy can be extended. But, if pushed hard, the envelope will deteriorate faster.

If flown only during cooler weather, and with a light load, the canopy may last around 300-400 hours. But, if flown heavy, during warmer weather, and with fast ascents, the canopy has a lifespan of about 200 hours.
So, to break even, the cost is divided into the 200 hours flight time and divided by the number of passengers along with a factor based upon average numbers booked per flight. Hence the high cost per person, per flight.
So if the canopy is patched and the pilot's response to questions of certification is "sure, I'm certifiable", that might explain the lower price?
04-26-2019, 12:07 AM - 3 Likes   #66066
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this some kind of Viking threat, should I be worried, or just more hot air?
Nah, Vikings don't threat. They just do.

You need to polish your Glaswegian skills. Like Racer. He's fluent in Glaswegian.
04-26-2019, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #66067
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You need to polish your Glaswegian skills. Like Racer. He's fluent in Glaswegian.
Haw you!!

04-26-2019, 02:50 AM - 2 Likes   #66068
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Nah, they mostly use Landcruisers these days. I think the last time I sat in a Landrover was in Zimbabwe. And before that in Tanzania, but they apologised for the inconvenience and promised to transfer us to Landcruisers as soon as possible

So if the canopy is patched and the pilot's response to questions of certification is "sure, I'm certifiable", that might explain the lower price?
Caveat emptor
04-26-2019, 04:42 AM   #66069
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you do that, everything to the left will be United (no states, just one big mass), and everything to the right will just be States, nothing united about 'em.

These things need to be properly thought through before folks just head off galavanting...

Or do you mean United like the soccer business that left out City when it united the town?
04-26-2019, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #66070
Pentaxian

Need one word for that: "Yes."
04-26-2019, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #66071
Pentaxian

Indeed. So, for example, if you have a $15,000 basket, burners and gas bottles hanging from a $80,000 balloon, and you're looking at certifying the commercial pilot and the balloon and other gear, roughly $22,000 every two years, you can see how quickly it all adds up to quite a bit of money. On top of that it's a good few hundy to refill the gas bottles and then there's support vehicles and support crew etc.

And the cost of money for all that capital.
04-26-2019, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #66072
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And the cost of money for all that capital.
Guess I haven't put enough coffee in me yet to understand that statement.
04-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #66073
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually a guy I know (used to work with him) is a top ranked balloonist in Canada and travels the world now in his retirement doing all things ballooning. If I ever meet up with him I will have to ask about joining him for a flight.
04-26-2019, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #66074
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Haw you!!
Awright, I think I know what happened to Bertie (explained in Lesson 2 at about 1 minute in)

04-26-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #66075
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Guess I haven't put enough coffee in me yet to understand that statement.
I think he meant to comment on how much money it costs to have all the equipment and paraphernalia associated with operating a hot air balloon.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »