Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #67066
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Does it have much in the way of freezer burn, Bob?
I do see some, I'll know more when it's fully thawed.
I'll trim that off and proceed if it's not too bad, otherwise toss it or make dog jerky for Brooke.

05-24-2019, 03:43 PM - 3 Likes   #67067
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy Friday.

Three days off, one paid. Gotta mow, when the rain stops.

Then there is the stock cars in Charlotte, the Indycars in Indiana, and Formula 1 in Monaco.

So y’all know what Racer will be doing.

Oh, and I just finished my 20 minute bone stim ultrasound treatment.

And Friday night, beer night.

Cheers!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-25-2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: "Mow", not "Now"
05-24-2019, 03:45 PM - 3 Likes   #67068
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sounds kinky.
05-24-2019, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #67069
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So it is dusk there then?
Indeed so. I posted at 10pm or just after, so I must have seen the bats around 9:50pm. Sunset at my location today was, apparently 9:21pm...

I too enjoy watching them as they come out. Interesting to note they flap their wings almost constantly, any gliding being for a very short distance when they change direction.
I live in a residential development on the edge of a town. At night, we hear occasional cars, a few aircraft on their approach into Newcastle Airport, and a (not very busy) main railway line in the distance about a mile away. In between those sounds, it can be pretty quiet (if not as quiet as "real" rural areas), and when the bats are circling, as they come close I can actually here the beating of their wings. It's a lovely, gentle sound. I don't recall ever seeing them glide, though they sometimes stop flapping when they dive...

05-24-2019, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #67070
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Friday.

Three days off, one paid. Gotta now, when the rain stops.

Then there is the stock cars in Charlotte, the Indycars in Indiana, and Formula 1 in Monaco.

So y’all know what Racer will be doing.

And Friday night, beer night.
Happy Friday, Racer

Enjoy the racing

Public ("bank") holiday here this weekend... Going to get my hair and beard mostly removed tomorrow (I am starting to look like a mountain man ) - also the nose waxing . On Sunday, my Dad and I are going to a ham radio fair and swap-meet just a few miles away. Neither of us looking to buy or sell anything, but it's always fun to look around. And at this particular one, there's an on-site cafe that does fantastic (and cheap) bacon snadwiches and good, strong, "builder's" tea On holiday Monday, there's a classic and custom motorcycle exhibition in the City of Durham, and I suggested to my Dad that we visit it, and maybe grab some lunch at the "eat-as-much-as-you-likecan" Chinese buffet down by the riverside...

And, just now, I'm sipping a nice, mid-range, old vines Italian Zinfandel... a bit meaty at 14.5% abv, but hey - it's Friday
05-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #67071
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Thanks. The date selected BECAUSE nothing special happened that day to make it generic.
05-24-2019, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #67072
Pentaxian

I just stepped outside to put a few things in the recycling bin, and two small bats passed right by my head in quick succession - no more than two or three feet away. They're doing wide circuits of the garden and feeding on all the insects from what has been a pleasant day with temperatures around 19.5C / 67F. They regularly visit my garden during the Summer months. I stood for about five minutes watching them circling, diving and climbing. Cute little things... I didn't know until recently, they can live for a surprisingly long time - 30 years plus, and there are recorded cases of 40+. Amazing for such small animals, especially when you consider similar-sized rodents only live three years or so...

Think how your first sentence reads if you do not realise that the bats to which you refer are flying mammals, and the way you tell the story that clue is left till after.

05-24-2019, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #67073
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thanks for the tip Chef Parallax!

He may be hoping for you to mis-spell that so he becomes "Chief Parallax".

And he may well deny this assertion to appear humble.

Last edited by tim60; 05-24-2019 at 10:45 PM.
05-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #67074
Pentaxian

That's very sad I read that wiki article... strange that the fungus is found in Europe, but doesn't seem to be affecting our bats - especially considering the colder climate in much of this part of the world

Curious - is it actually the colder temperature that makes it less prevalent. Or are the bats a different genetic lot, and less susceptible?
05-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #67075
Pentaxian

Indeed so. I posted at 10pm or just after, so I must have seen the bats around 9:50pm. Sunset at my location today was, apparently 9:21pm...

I live in a residential development on the edge of a town. At night, we hear occasional cars, a few aircraft on their approach into Newcastle Airport, and a (not very busy) main railway line in the distance about a mile away. In between those sounds, it can be pretty quiet (if not as quiet as "real" rural areas), and when the bats are circling, as they come close I can actually here the beating of their wings. It's a lovely, gentle sound. I don't recall ever seeing them glide, though they sometimes stop flapping when they dive...

Does Newcastle Airport have a curfew. The grey airline at Brize Norton do not have a curfew.
05-24-2019, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #67076
Pentaxian

Happy Friday, Racer

Enjoy the racing

Public ("bank") holiday here this weekend... Going to get my hair and beard mostly removed tomorrow (I am starting to look like a mountain man ) - also the nose waxing . On Sunday, my Dad and I are going to a ham radio fair and swap-meet just a few miles away. Neither of us looking to buy or sell anything, but it's always fun to look around. And at this particular one, there's an on-site cafe that does fantastic (and cheap) bacon snadwiches and good, strong, "builder's" tea On holiday Monday, there's a classic and custom motorcycle exhibition in the City of Durham, and I suggested to my Dad that we visit it, and maybe grab some lunch at the "eat-as-much-as-you-likecan" Chinese buffet down by the riverside...

And, just now, I'm sipping a nice, mid-range, old vines Italian Zinfandel... a bit meaty at 14.5% abv, but hey - it's Friday

I am puzzled how in a country with such a long history of continuous government within the current tradition (at least from 1066) the best they could come up with for a celebration was that bank employees were getting the day off.
05-24-2019, 11:34 PM   #67077
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't believe this thread is still going.
05-25-2019, 12:09 AM - 4 Likes   #67078
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I can't believe this thread is still going.
It has been listed by UNESCO as of worldwide cultural significance - it's not going away!

05-25-2019, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #67079
dbs
Pentaxian

Yep sure is !
05-25-2019, 12:27 AM - 2 Likes   #67080
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Brown nose syndrome?

The only boss I've had who's convincingly pretended to appreciate my unfiltered feedback was a former special forces Texan. The best boss ever. Damn I miss him.