Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #67456
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I wonder if you are missing one of the little tick boxes in your profile under "Messaging & Notification"

06-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #67457
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well we had a few considerations; access for my brother in a wheelchair, decent garage, bungalow, gas heat... This had all those things and we got a really good deal because of the smoking thing. Kind good as it gives us the ability to design and afford to renovate the kitchen the way we want it. The rest is just paint really...and redo the hardwood. We have two months before we need to move out so it give us renovation time.
Yep, we all have our sets of preferences, priorities and compromises we're willing to make. As you say, "having" to renovate gives you opportunities. We were flexible on time - as in prepared to keep looking for a couple of years of necessary - and found a place that ticked enough boxes and grabbed the chance.

Back to packing stuff and throwing out junk. We still haven't sold this place, so need to prepare for that.
06-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #67458
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it the semi-colon that does the delineation?
Yep. It does mess up the punctuation but it works.
06-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #67459
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Testing

@savoche

@robtcorl

@Racer X 69;
You attention seeker you.

06-02-2019, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #67460
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yep, that's what I said it was.
Oh, I see. I mistook the pizza for an Egg McBob.

Sorry, eh?
06-02-2019, 07:34 AM - 5 Likes   #67461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Friday and Saturday yard sales are pretty much the norm most places, makes sense it you want to set up for two days.
Around here they're mostly on Wednesday and Saturday.
Love going to them, but rarely go nowadays.
We got a $140 wagon yesterday for $40...brand new!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-02-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #67462
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nicely done. Wagon is a word with many uses.

06-02-2019, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #67463
Pentaxian

Wow, those ol’ wagons are $140 now?!?!? Holy guacamole!

And I see that The Thread has now reached 900 pages, Tokyo is still safe, and there is still no reason to buy a K3...
06-02-2019, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #67464
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Radio Flyer when I was not much more than a crumb grabbing carpet crawler. I doubt it cost more than $5 new.
06-02-2019, 11:04 AM - 4 Likes   #67465
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Truth is knowledge.

Knowledge is power.

Power will set you free.

Oh, and duck.
06-02-2019, 11:20 AM - 4 Likes   #67466
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Sunday, all...

Mum cooked lunch today, and it was good. A wonderful leg of British lamb, slow cooked in the oven for nearly four hours. When I used my meat thermometer to test it, the point slid in with absolutely no effort, so I guessed it would be tender... but, oh my... Carving it was almost impossible, as chunks were just falling away from the bone. The only seasoning she used on it was Aromat, but that's all it needed. She made a lovely gravy with the juices, and served it with boiled new potatoes, butter carrots, mixed vegetables and Yorkshire puddings.

About half of the meat is left over, so I'll make a hot pot or perhaps a curry with it tomorrow
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XF1  Photo 
06-02-2019, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #67467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I had a Radio Flyer when I was not much more than a crumb grabbing carpet crawler. I doubt it cost more than $5 new.
Gasoline was probably fifty cents a gallon back then too.
06-02-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #67468
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Happy Sunday, all...

Mum cooked lunch today, and it was good. A wonderful leg of British lamb, slow cooked in the oven for nearly four hours. When I used my meat thermometer to test it, the point slid in with absolutely no effort, so I guessed it would be tender... but, oh my... Carving it was almost impossible, as chunks were just falling away from the bone. The only seasoning she used on it was Aromat, but that's all it needed. She made a lovely gravy with the juices, and served it with boiled new potatoes, butter carrots, mixed vegetables and Yorkshire puddings.

About half of the meat is left over, so I'll make a hot pot or perhaps a curry with it tomorrow

Tonight for dinner we had a lamb leg I roasted this afternoon. It was a New Zealand leg we bought in the Sainsburys post Easter sale, GBP8.99/kg (which for foreigners is a pretty good sale price here for lamb). The only sheep meat I know of which is consistently cheaper is the mutton at the halal butchers. Their current price, both at New Malden and at Headington is GBP7.99 for mutton shoulder (all the fore leg and the shoulder, including the whole scapula. Mutton is good for curry, cooked long and slow. Lamb is better for roast. I prefer the meat texture of New Zealand lamb, it is less likely to fragment but still cooks tender. Today's was 1.86kg cooked in pre-heated oven at 185C for two hours followed by about 30 minutes at 160C, then rested for quite a while. I deboned it, took out the femur, after buying, then froze. Today, just before cooking I tied it up, and even the cut portion held together nicely when carved. Guess the desirable properties of the meat are a result of New Zealand sheep walking about, and being smart enough to find their own food, not like the local ones that queue in the shed waiting for the farmer to feed them.
06-02-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #67469
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Tonight for dinner we had a lamb leg I roasted this afternoon. It was a New Zealand leg we bought in the Sainsburys post Easter sale, GBP8.99/kg (which for foreigners is a pretty good sale price here for lamb).
Nice And yes, that's a good price for lamb. Not a cheap meat here in the UK.

It must be four years or more since I last had roast leg of lamb at home. I buy chops every few weeks or so, but if I'm buying a "joint" or "rolled joint" of meat, I normally get beef, pork or a ham. Or a nice whole free-range chicken.

The only sheep meat I know of which is consistently cheaper is the mutton at the halal butchers. Their current price, both at New Malden and at Headington is GBP7.99 for mutton shoulder (all the fore leg and the shoulder, including the whole scapula. Mutton is good for curry, cooked long and slow. Lamb is better for roast.
I love mutton... in curries, as you say, but in any slow cooked dish... stews, casseroles, pie fillings etc. But I never see it for sale in either of my local butchers or in the supermarkets up here. I like goat meat for the same purposes, but again I never see it around here. The North East is far less varied and adventurous in its food offerings, even in this day and age, compared to the South East. Still mostly creatures of habit around these parts

I prefer the meat texture of New Zealand lamb, it is less likely to fragment but still cooks tender. Today's was 1.86kg cooked in pre-heated oven at 185C for two hours followed by about 30 minutes at 160C, then rested for quite a while. I deboned it, took out the femur, after buying, then froze. Today, just before cooking I tied it up, and even the cut portion held together nicely when carved. Guess the desirable properties of the meat are a result of New Zealand sheep walking about, and being smart enough to find their own food, not like the local ones that queue in the shed waiting for the farmer to feed them.
We bought our leg of lamb at the butcher's about a week ago (good butcher with reputable farm suppliers), and I wrapped it - still on the bone - and froze it straight away in the quick freeze compartment of my fridge / freezer. Today, we wrapped it in foil (still frozen) and cooked in the oven for three and a quarter hours at 180C on the fan, opened up the foil, drained the juices for the gravy, then gave it another forty minutes back in the oven. Took it out, and left it to stand for twenty minutes. It was perfect - for my Mum and Dad, at least, as they don't like their meat pink in the middle. I generally do, but I have to say, it was no worse for being done that little longer... Nicest tasting, most tender and juicy piece of meat I've had in a long while.

I think the remaining cold cuts would make awesome sandwiches with a little mint sauce, but my Mum hates cold lamb... so, I'll make something with the left-overs tomorrow. Based on today's lunch, I've no doubt it'll be tasty
06-02-2019, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #67470
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Gasoline was probably fifty cents a gallon back then too.
More like 25 cents or less. When I started driving in 1971 it was less than 30 cents.