Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #68191
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Or one could take the Mark approach. It doesn't really get any fun until about 4 minutes or so.

Danny Macaskill: The Ridge - YouTube
Well there is something at the start that Mark could incorporate into his regimen. Rowing. Very good for the core, upper body and the abs.

But the video stopped being fun for me when he started packing that bike instead of riding it. And he climbed to places no sane man ever would.

06-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #68192
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There's some sense in that. But, you do seem to have a nice spot.
It will be very difficult to replace.
06-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #68193
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well there is something at the start that Mark could incorporate into his regimen. Rowing. Very good for the core, upper body and the abs.

But the video stopped being fun for me when he started packing that bike instead of riding it. And he climbed to places no sane man ever would.
My wife says I'm not allowed to get a boat.
06-20-2019, 05:24 PM - 5 Likes   #68194
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

06-20-2019, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #68195
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My wife says I'm not allowed to get a boat.
Life is pretty dry without a boat.

I own a 1976 Eliminator Jet Boat. It is 19 feet long, has a 460 Ford V8 engine with a Berkely Jet drive.

Fast. About 70 miles an hour. With a freshly rebuilt pump and different cam and induction on the engine it could easily top 100.

Set up to pull skiers.

I also have two kayaks.

They can be paddled at a pretty good clip, but nothing close to the jetboat.

Still fun though.

I used to have an 8 foot pram (small rowboat) too, but lost track of it somewhere along the line.
06-21-2019, 04:20 AM - 2 Likes   #68196
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What you see are the pour spouts on either side of the skillet.

Ah, I see. Not a skillet after use in a domestic.
06-21-2019, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #68197
Pentaxian

This house will be on the market soon.

Two bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, full unfinished basement, the upstairs is one big room that could be divided into a couple more bedrooms, the basemen can also be finished and made into useful living space, main floor and upstairs is 2,992 square feet, the basement is 1,836 square feet. Geothermal heating and cooling. Private well, and septic system. Propane fireplace and Jenn Aire propane cooktop with a 500 gallon buried propane tank (comes in handy for those times when the windstorms knock the power out).

The house is an ICF (insulated concrete form) design, the exterior walls are about 18" thick, concrete with rebar (R50 insulation value, this home is superinsulated, highly energy efficient), the interior walls, floors and roof are conventional stick frame. The siding is Hardie Plank concrete fiberboard, the roofing is Pabco 50 year architectural three tab.

40 x 60 shop with a 12 foot high wall.

All on a private, secluded parcel of 6.174 acres partially wooded with 380 feet of private riverfront on a high bank (no flooding).

A steal at $1,199,000 US.

You have almost done the Realtor's wordsmithing for them. Make sure you get a discount on their services for that.

BTW: that picture made me think - is that the Realtor's picture or the real picture? Makes the place look nice.

Sounds tough enough to withstand some pretty big storms, not like those ex-houses we see on news fairly often after storms went through the mid-west.

Last edited by tim60; 06-21-2019 at 04:45 AM.
06-21-2019, 04:42 AM   #68198
Pentaxian

The problem has become the economics of living here on a pension.

At the moment, I could genuinely as the price I posted here, and still get around $1.1 million.

And a similar property, although a view place instead of riverfront (although some we have looked at have ponds or seasonal streams), and most likely not an ICF with geothermal heating and cooling) is running $290,000 to $500,000. We owe just a bit over $300,000 on this place.

So we sell, pay off the mortgage, pay cash for another place, and have some cash left over for things like paying someone else to do the heavy lifting for the move.

And some beer.

And a bacon cheeseburger.

Oddly though the timing is off.

My current retirement plan is three more years from August.

I hope my property values keep climbing . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and those in the area we are looking at relocating to don't.

All the other things you can do, you should be able to set up a spreadsheet to calculate the best time in the next few years to do the transactions.

Some of the items of fixed, such as the mortgage payments. The amount at the sale time depends on when it is, but can be predicted. Also, yo0u pay between now and when you sell is predictable.

Market value of both houses is hard to predict. Are both affected by the same market - commuting to similar places, or are they affected by different factors. You could predict rates, and set up sensitivity analysis for the rates in each area.

You could really dive into the black art of accountancy where, regardless of what happens to your bank account you could convince yourself you made a profit or a loss, depending on which answer you want.

Do houses of the kind you want in the other area get offered for sale frequently, and do houses in your area sell promptly?

This is a hard decision, and you want to do it when you choose, not when your are forced by either your own health or finance (and finance has the more insidious effect).
06-21-2019, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #68199
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You have almost done the Realtor's wordsmithing for them.
After reading hundreds of listings for property one gets an idea what makes for good ad copy.

BTW: that picture made me think - is that the Realtor's picture or the real picture? Makes the place look nice.
Thank you for the compliment Tim!

That is an HDR image I made about 6 years ago.

Here is the non HDR image:

A shot just after we finished the home in 2008:

Our first winter we had a white Christmas:

And just last February we had 18" of snow:

One more recent shot, made about three years ago:

Sounds tough enough to withstand some pretty big storms, not like those ex-houses we see on news fairly often after storms went through the mid-west.
The ICF design was developed for home construction in areas with frequent tornado and hurricane activity. When outfitted with shutters for the windows and doors, the structure usually stays pretty much intact, even the roof which is stick framed remains, with little to no damage, save for shingles getting blown off.

The solid nature of the design, coupled with insect resistance (termites and carpenter ants don't care for styrofoam), a high R value (measure of insulating factors), and the fact that concrete, steel and the styrofoam wall exterior make the use of ICF a great alternative for home construction. The costs aren't any higher than that of a conventional stick framed structure, so it is a no brainer.

Properly maintained, this home should last hundreds of years.
06-21-2019, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #68200
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a skillet after use in a domestic.
Oh no. That skillet has never been used in anger, only to cook good meals.
06-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #68201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This house will be on the market soon.

Two bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, full unfinished basement, the upstairs is one big room that could be divided into a couple more bedrooms, the basemen can also be finished and made into useful living space, main floor and upstairs is 2,992 square feet, the basement is 1,836 square feet. Geothermal heating and cooling. Private well, and septic system. Propane fireplace and Jenn Aire propane cooktop with a 500 gallon buried propane tank (comes in handy for those times when the windstorms knock the power out).

The house is an ICF (insulated concrete form) design, the exterior walls are about 18" thick, concrete with rebar (R50 insulation value, this home is superinsulated, highly energy efficient), the interior walls, floors and roof are conventional stick frame. The siding is Hardie Plank concrete fiberboard, the roofing is Pabco 50 year architectural three tab.

40 x 60 shop with a 12 foot high wall.

All on a private, secluded parcel of 6.174 acres partially wooded with 380 feet of private riverfront on a high bank (no flooding).

A steal at $1,199,000 US.
Are you moving far away? Downsizing?
06-21-2019, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #68202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem has become the economics of living here on a pension.

At the moment, I could genuinely as the price I posted here, and still get around $1.1 million.

And a similar property, although a view place instead of riverfront (although some we have looked at have ponds or seasonal streams), and most likely not an ICF with geothermal heating and cooling) is running $290,000 to $500,000. We owe just a bit over $300,000 on this place.

So we sell, pay off the mortgage, pay cash for another place, and have some cash left over for things like paying someone else to do the heavy lifting for the move.

And some beer.

And a bacon cheeseburger.

Oddly though the timing is off.

My current retirement plan is three more years from August.

I hope my property values keep climbing . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and those in the area we are looking at relocating to don't.
Yep, that is exactly what we have done. As of August 22 (hopefully if the deal on our house goes through) we will be without mortgage!!! and less than two years to retirement.
06-21-2019, 05:01 AM   #68203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading hundreds of listings for property one gets an idea what makes for good ad copy.

Thank you for the compliment Tim!

That is an HDR image I made about 6 years ago.

Here is the non HDR image:

A shot just after we finished the home in 2008:

Our first winter we had a white Christmas:

And just last February we had 18" of snow:

One more recent shot, made about three years ago:

The ICF design was developed for home construction in areas with frequent tornado and hurricane activity. When outfitted with shutters for the windows and doors, the structure usually stays pretty much intact, even the roof which is stick framed remains, with little to no damage, save for shingles getting blown off.

The solid nature of the design, coupled with insect resistance (termites and carpenter ants don't care for styrofoam), a high R value (measure of insulating factors), and the fact that concrete, steel and the styrofoam wall exterior make the use of ICF a great alternative for home construction. The costs aren't any higher than that of a conventional stick framed structure, so it is a no brainer.

Properly maintained, this home should last hundreds of years.
Interesting that you mentioned you have a buried propane tank...that is against code up here...propane tanks must be above ground.
06-21-2019, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #68204
Veteran Member

Happy Summer Solstice to everyone up here!!
Happy Winter Solstice to everyone down there!!
06-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #68205
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Interesting that you mentioned you have a buried propane tank...that is against code up here...propane tanks must be above ground.
Buried propane tanks are constructed differently than above ground tanks. They have a special coating to reduce the corrosion that will happen in the ground, and when buried a special anode is attached and buried with the tank.

Also, I own the tank, so I'm not held captive to one propane dealer. I can shop around when it is time to refill the tank and get the best price.