Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2019, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #68251
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And to complete a post I tried to place here Friday:

You can always move North, towards the Equator. I hear they get some dry, hot weather up that way.

So thanks to the wonders of the internet and the Almighty Google, I visited your fair community. Looks like a place I would love to live.

So, tell us, what is the history of this building?

And is this motocross track private or public?

Hi Racer

The building I will check on currently a bank but may have always been. A fairly rich farming area as in not too many poor ones and also produce.The other banks also have rather lavish ( for us ) buildings

The motocross track ,there is a motor bike club south of town I'll check with google maps if it is the same track.
Move more north...when I win lotto
I had a quick look at googlemaps how old is your picture? The one I looked at is overgrown with trees and the track not so defined

Dave

Last edited by dbs; 06-23-2019 at 06:06 PM.
06-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #68252
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Racer

The building I will check on currently a bank but may have always been. A fairly rich farming area as in not too many poor ones and also produce.The other banks also have rather lavish ( for us ) buildings

The motocross track ,there is a motor bike club south of town I'll check with google maps if it is the same track.
Move more north...when I win lotto

Dave
The motocross track is West of town, across the road from a cemetery.
06-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #68253
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Except there aren't bears like that in Floriduh.

I'd be more concerned about panthers, alligators and pythons.
06-23-2019, 06:11 PM - 5 Likes   #68254
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Saturday I added some tubes to my mortar launcher. When I built it many years ago it only had one tube on each plate. Lighting the fuses was a pain, and best done with two people. Even then you only had two shells going up at a time, with long spaces in between firing.

So Friday after work I stopped at my local old fashioned auto parts store and bought a 10 foot stick of 2" exhaust tubing. Saturday morning I cut 6 19" pieces, prepped and welded them tot he plates, and then prepared a new method of firing the shells.

I got some nichrome wire, wrapped short lengths around the fuses and connected the ends to some primary wire. As I only had enough primary wire for 4 circuits, I paired the shells up.

When the day had turned to night, I gathered the tribe and we sat a safe distance away from the battery of mortars. One by one I touched the wires to a voltage source and each time a pair of shells ignited and headed skyward. Only one of the eight shells failed to ignite, later found to be an open in one of the wiring connections. I borrowed a lighter from one of the smokers, and lit the fuse the old fashioned way, and got the last shell off.

My plan is to add at least 8 more tubes, maybe 12, for an even 20. I also will be building a wiring buss, with a switch panel, fitted with pushbutton switches, as carefully slipping the bare ends of wire into the end of an extension cord can be tricky in the darkness.

Why the fuss with the steel tubes you ask?

Well, these mortar shells come with cheesy cardboard or fiberglass launch tubes. They are dangerous, prone to falling over just as the shell fires (not good), or the tube fails during the explosive action of the launch (also not good). Since discovering the 2" mortar shell many years ago while living on the local Indian reservation, I have been obsessed with them. I have even found a local supplier who can get them in bulk, rather than in the consumer "kits" offered at the July 4 holiday.

So the steel tubes are durable, and a larger platform offers a safer method of firing the shells, as well as making the firing of them more convenient. Also, the tube in the kits are only about 12" long. Knowing that a similar sized cartridge in a gun performs differently in a pistol with a short barrel, as opposed to a rifle with a long barrel, I went with a longer tube, for more velocity, and a bit higher launch. The 19" figure of the original tow tube came from them being leftover scrap after a repair job at work when I worked at the electric utility vehicle maintenance shop.

And I can sit and watch them too, rather than running away while ducking as each one launches.

So happy Pre Fourth Of July everyone!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPod touch  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-23-2019 at 06:39 PM.
06-23-2019, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #68255
dbs
Pentaxian

The motocross track is West of town, across the road from a cemetery.
Hi Racer

Googlemaps shot from you matched with the one I saw the dam is the same shape and location to tthe track.
The motor cycle web site also shows the same sat map.
Some of the dog clubs use part of the complex for training
The address is Main North Road cnr with Spring Gully Road is it the same with your googlemaps ? It is actually on the opposite side of the intersection which is a t junction not a +
You have me intriqued now I'm off to have a gander

Dave
06-23-2019, 06:29 PM - 2 Likes   #68256
dbs
Pentaxian

Saturday I added some tubes to my mortar launcher.
Hi Racer

Is that the panther, alligator and python slayer machine ?

Dave
06-23-2019, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #68257
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Racer

Is that the panther, alligator and python slayer machine ?

Dave
Nah.

We don't have any of those critters here in the Northwet.

Here we have bears, and cougars.

And Sasquatch.

06-23-2019, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #68258
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Racer

The building is still the NAB bank from 1881

The motor cycle club track(s)
I found the one nextto/ near the cemetry that was locked up and an uphill walk (it was drissiling so didn't jump the fence )
If the sat picture you showed is from there,then the 2 tracks have very similar neighbours, from the eye view
I'll try and get to there next meeting for a squizz

Dave
06-24-2019, 01:04 AM - 2 Likes   #68259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, so that’s what 60,000 people look like! What a show the Eagles put on, the crowd sang its lungs out. The two quotes of the night were from Don Henley - “we’re going to play two and a half hours of music this evening. Because we can.” and Joe Walsh - “If I’d known when I wrote that song that I’d be singing it for the rest of my life, I’d have written something better.” He certainly hasn’t lost it with the guitar.
06-24-2019, 01:30 AM   #68260
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Wow, so that’s what 60,000 people look like! What a show the Eagles put on, the crowd sang its lungs out. The two quotes of the night were from Don Henley - “we’re going to play two and a half hours of music this evening. Because we can.” and Joe Walsh - “If I’d known when I wrote that song that I’d be singing it for the rest of my life, I’d have written something better.” He certainly hasn’t lost it with the guitar.
Joe Walsh:

“You can’t argue with a sick mind.”
06-24-2019, 04:44 AM   #68261
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Racer

Googlemaps shot from you matched with the one I saw the dam is the same shape and location to tthe track.
The motor cycle web site also shows the same sat map.
Some of the dog clubs use part of the complex for training
The address is Main North Road cnr with Spring Gully Road is it the same with your googlemaps ? It is actually on the opposite side of the intersection which is a t junction not a +
You have me intriqued now I'm off to have a gander

Dave
80 Benny's Hill Rd, Emu Flat, SA.
06-24-2019, 05:09 AM   #68262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two years?

You're too young to be retiring.
Nope...turn 60 in 2021
06-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #68263