Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2019, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #68431
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi

Some are offended
And some don't really see the display of a flag as the only way to be patriotic to ones own country.

In other words you do it your way and we''ll do it ourway

And no way is the right way

Dave
Is the gesture to which you refer also known as the ‘cricketers’ salute’?

06-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #68432
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Is the gesture to which you refer also known as the ‘cricketers’ salute’?
Must be the gesture that shows the one it is directed at that they are number one in the eyes of the gesticulator.
06-29-2019, 01:46 PM - 3 Likes   #68433
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Please explain good bagpipe playing from bad.
I believe it's differentiated by distance, Bob. The player who positions him- or her-self well out of earshot is considered "good".
06-29-2019, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #68434
Pentaxian

Please explain good bagpipe playing from bad.
If I can listen for 3 minutes it's good.

06-29-2019, 02:30 PM - 5 Likes   #68435
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So the house has been quiet for nearly a week now, and the invaders family members are either back home in Hawaii, or "vacationing" their way back across North America towards Floriduh. The recently graduated grandson is slowly assimilating his stuff into our spare bedroom.

I took a moment to go through some pictures from the last few weeks, and remembered this video I made one quiet Saturday morning during the invasion visit.

Let me apologize upfront for the poor video quality. I didn't make it for the video, but for the sound.

As I keep early to be, early to rise hours during the week I generally get up early on the weekend too, if you want to call 3 or 4 am early. So I was sitting on my west facing porch, enjoying a fresh cup of coffee, and watching the night turn into day. After a few sips of the delicious brown liquid, and a few sniffs of the intoxicating steam, I realized how perfectly peaceful it was. The grandkids and their parents were sleeping soundly, as was Mrs. Racer 2.0.

I had been browsing the forum and news on my iPod, and realized it might be nice to record the sounds of the new dawn, and the relaxing and peaceful feeling it gave me.

Enjoy my forum friends.

06-29-2019, 02:36 PM - 3 Likes   #68436
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Warm and muggy day here today... Not by US standards, of course, nor indeed compared to some other parts of Europe right now... but we've still had some of the effects of the so-called "Sahara Bubble". Sunny, but with lots of cloud cover. 26C / 79F this afternoon, 21C / 70F this evening (10:30pm) and sloooowly dropping. A few spots of rain this evening, but not proper rainfall. Thunder storms expected though not for certain. Stepping outside, it feels likely... Very humid and "close".

We managed a simple BBQ today... pork sausages, bockwurst, bacon-wrapped scallops (including an extra, unseasoned one for Boo Boo, my cat ). BBQ'd red and orange bell peppers, mushrooms, white and red onions, plus a nice big salad of shredded iceberg lettuce, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, white onion and grated carrot. I sat out in the garden for quite a while afterwards, sipping a cold beer and helping Mum with her word puzzle magazine competitions

After a good run of feeling much better than usual, I was dog tired this afternoon, so reluctantly went for a nap around 3:45pm. For the first time in a long while, I had a bunch of dreams within dreams - waking up from each one and being sure I was properly awake, then something happening and realising I was in another dream. In the last one before I actually woke up, I was fully aware that it was a dream, and I was able to do stuff I couldn't do normally, like floating off the ground on demand. That was pretty cool I felt rotten when I woke up, though... took me a good couple of hours to feel straight again

Going back to the BBQ... I have a n00b question. If you guys are barbecuing fatty meat, how do you cook it so that the fat doesn't drip onto the charcoal and cause flames that end up burning the meat? The only way I can think of doing it is to arrange the charcoal into set areas, and put the meat on a part of the grill that isn't sitting directly over the charcoal - then close the lid to get enough temperature to cook the meat. Any advice would be most welcome, as the pork sausages I cooked today had a high fat content. I ended up with some flames that charred the sausages way more than I'd have liked (although they tasted great)
06-29-2019, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #68437
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I had been browsing the forum and news on my iPod, and realized it might be nice to record the sounds of the new dawn, and the relaxing and peaceful feeling it gave me.

Enjoy my forum friends.
I did enjoy it, very much!
You can tell by the great quality it wasn't recorded with a you know what.

06-29-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #68438
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy my forum friends.
Awesome. Absolutely awesome! And not a single bagpipe to be heard...

I might actually save this and loop it as an ambient sound to listen to at night when I'm drifting off to sleep
06-29-2019, 03:00 PM - 4 Likes   #68439
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi all! LB reporting for duty.

Here in Florence we've had three day straight of heat... temperatures in the 38°C range, and not much relief during the night either.
I've been mashing my K-01 shutter quite a lot (mostly inside museums, so that I can see some details later at home), and found out that my GF likes my K-30...
Have they invented bacon ice-cream yet?
06-29-2019, 03:02 PM - 3 Likes   #68440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We managed a simple BBQ today... pork sausages, bockwurst, bacon-wrapped scallops (including an extra, unseasoned one for Boo Boo, my cat ). BBQ'd red and orange bell peppers, mushrooms, white and red onions, plus a nice big salad of shredded iceberg lettuce, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, white onion and grated carrot. I sat out in the garden for quite a while afterwards, sipping a cold beer and helping Mum with her word puzzle magazine competitions
You're putting me to shame, Mike!

I felt rotten when I woke up, though... took me a good couple of hours to feel straight again
I'll give you napping 101 lessons whenever you want.

Going back to the BBQ... I have a n00b question. If you guys are barbecuing fatty meat, how do you cook it so that the fat doesn't drip onto the charcoal and cause flames that end up burning the meat? The only way I can think of doing it is to arrange the charcoal into set areas, and put the meat on a part of the grill that isn't sitting directly over the charcoal - then close the lid to get enough temperature to cook the meat. Any advice would be most welcome, as the pork sausages I cooked today had a high fat content. I ended up with some flames that charred the sausages way more than I'd have liked (although they tasted great)
I think you answered your own question.
A two zone fire has the coals banked to one side, a three zone fire has them banked, but a few spread out from there.
Cook indirect until desired doneness, then sear over the coals. Foil on the charcoal grate on the indirect side helps with clean up.
06-29-2019, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #68441
Veteran Member

It's nice here, 93 F with a heat index of 100 F.
I do feel for everyone over there not used to those high temperatures.
06-29-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #68442
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You're putting me to shame, Mike!
Never. Your BBQ efforts are the stuff of legend, Bob. I couldn't catch up if I tried But, it was a nice meal. The bockwurst (from Aldi) were very good done on the grill (I normally boil bockwurst)... My folks normally stop eating when they're full, but this time both asked for seconds All that was left when we'd finished was a small bowl of bell pepper and onion, a couple of mushrooms and a tiny bit of the salad... which I had for dinner this evening

I'll give you napping 101 lessons whenever you want.
I'll take any lessons or tips going! Part of the problem for me, I think, is that I often take a 30mg codeine tablet just after breakfast, around 7 - 8am. It's very effective, but I think it's wearing off by afternoon. I'm supposed to take up to three a day, but I don't take the mid-day one and often don't take my evening one if I'm feeling OK (I don't want to take any more than I actually need). In any case, the excellent benefit of the morning one is, to some extent, offset by a sluggishness and irritability in the afternoon. I'm not certain, but I'm fairly sure it affects the quality of my nap on the occasions I take one...

I think you answered your own question.
A two zone fire has the coals banked to one side, a three zone fire has them banked, but a few spread out from there.
Cook indirect until desired doneness, then sear over the coals. Foil on the charcoal grate on the indirect side helps with clean up.
Thanks, Bob. I think I need a bigger / better BBQ I guess I could leave a narrow zone in the middle for the sausages, and start cooking them just a little earlier than usual... Something to try next time!
06-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #68443
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome. Absolutely awesome! And not a single bagpipe to be heard...

I might actually save this and loop it as an ambient sound to listen to at night when I'm drifting off to sleep
Glad you like it Mike.

But aren't the sounds of those birds morning sounds?

What would work better would be the lark, and other evening birds.
06-29-2019, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #68444
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

But aren't the sounds of those birds morning sounds?

What would work better would be the lark, and other evening birds.
Zzzzzzz.... Zzzzzzz.... <Snuffle> <Cough> "Wha? Say what?"... Zzzzzzz....Zzzzzzz...

06-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #68445
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Part of the problem for me, I think, is that I often take a 30mg codeine tablet just after breakfast, around 7 - 8am.

30mg codeine? Three times a day?

That sounds like quite a bit.

Is it pure codeine, or is it a smaller amount of codeine coupled with something like Tylenol?