07-15-2019, 04:17 PM - 4 Likes   #69031
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
From the article:

QuoteQuote:
"For them to do that at the height of the summer where we've got kids, parents and old people on the beach, who wants to sit and watch that?”
Well, the kids should be shielded from it, for sure.

But parents and old people? Hey, if they haven't seen it yet, they gotta see it sometime.

A short Rupert Story™:

When I was in my early 20's, a buddy an I were dating sisters, gals we went to high school with. We were out, the four of us, for a day, and evening around town. After dinner we went down to the waterfront, to a popular beach spot on Port Gardner. The place was nearly deserted, save for an other pair of couples, a little older than us, maybe in their late 20's, early 30's. They had a fire going on the beach, and we said hi to them and walked about 50 feet further along the waterside, and built our own fire.

As was common then, we had some beer, and a little "somethin', somethin'", wink, wink. We sat there by the fire, drinking and enjoying each other's company. The other couples were drinking wine, and also enjoying a little "somethin', somethin'".

I was dark, but you could still see a bit.

Suddenly, my girl shrieked and pointed at the pair of couples not far up the beach from us. "Look!" she exclaimed, "Those people are having sex!"

I told her to calm down and suggested we should follow suit.

"That's gross!" she retorted, and her sister joined in, with, "Yeah! Gross!".

Then they said they wanted to leave, so we doused the fire, and walked back up the beach to our car, passing right by the other couples, who barely paid us a glance. Someone said to us, "Why, you don't have to leave on our account."

I laughed, because we went back t the girl's parent's house. Their dad had a country music band, and every Friday and Saturday was playing at a local country and western bar, so we always had the house to ourselves.

And I don't think I have to explain what we did while their parents were away for the evening, but for sure we could have done it on the beach just like the pair of couples we saw there that evening.

devilish

07-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #69032
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's done a bit differently here.

Pig Hunting NZ 2017 - YouTube
Boy Mark, that looks like a lot of bother. But then again, there is more vegetation there, so I guess shooting them from helicopters wouldn't be very practical.
07-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #69033
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

{In keeping with the current theme, it did happen at the Pig 'n' Whistle pub.}

I guess this must be a Glasgow thing, cars mounting pavement.

I didn't know cars had an attraction to pavement, or anything else. They are, after all, inanimate objects, that only perform after directed so by humans.

Three injured as car mounts pavement in 'attempted murder' outside Glasgow pub
07-15-2019, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #69034
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought that's a bit of a British thing - Warm beer?
<Sigh>...

Only if one chooses to drink at a sub-standard establishment.

Ales and stouts should be at cellar temperature, IMHO - ideally 55F / 13C (but a couple of degrees above or below isn't worth worrying about). Lager should be chilled, and if it's a light thirst-quencher rather than a malty, complex brew, I like it really chilled... 41F / 5C or less - but again I can live with it a little higher.

At home, my ales are stored in my garage, next to - but never in - my large refrigerator. During winter, they're a little colder than I'd like, and during a warm summer they're just a little warmer than I'd prefer - but close enough. My lagers are stored in the fridge, so always less than 41F / 5C. I don't keep stout at home, but if I did, it'd be with the ales.

I like my red wines a little warmer than my ales - generally to match the room temperature (or outdoor temperature, unless it's a very hot day). And I like my whites chilled to the same level as my lagers, which - I realise - is colder than recommended... but that's how I like 'em.

On the few occasions I go eating and drinking with my buddy, the places we frequent are generally pretty good on storage of ales, stouts and red wines - but the lagers are variable, as are the white wines

07-15-2019, 04:49 PM - 4 Likes   #69035
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And I don't think I have to explain what we did while their parents were away for the evening,
Watched racing on a small b&w TV?
07-15-2019, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #69036
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boy Mark, that looks like a lot of bother. But then again, there is more vegetation there, so I guess shooting them from helicopters wouldn't be very practical.
Nope, if you want to go pig hunting here, you need good pig hunting dogs and you need to get up close and personal with the pig. But not as close and personal as the girl on the beach.
07-15-2019, 05:51 PM - 3 Likes   #69037
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
<Sigh>...

Ales and stouts should be at cellar temperature, IMHO - ideally 55F / 13C (but a couple of degrees above or below isn't worth worrying about). Lager should be chilled, and if it's a light thirst-quencher rather than a malty, complex brew, I like it really chilled... 41F / 5C or less - but again I can live with it a little higher.

At home, my ales are stored in my garage, next to - but never in - my large refrigerator. During winter, they're a little colder than I'd like, and during a warm summer they're just a little warmer than I'd prefer - but close enough. My lagers are stored in the fridge, so always less than 41F / 5C. I don't keep stout at home, but if I did, it'd be with the ales.

I like my red wines a little warmer than my ales - generally to match the room temperature (or outdoor temperature, unless it's a very hot day). And I like my whites chilled to the same level as my lagers, which - I realise - is colder than recommended... but that's how I like 'em.

On the few occasions I go eating and drinking with my buddy, the places we frequent are generally pretty good on storage of ales, stouts and red wines - but the lagers are variable, as are the white wines
You lost me at the 13C for ales and stouts. . That's practically bath water temperature!

07-15-2019, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #69038
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

<Sigh>...

You lost me at the 13C for ales and stouts. . That's practically bath water temperature!
Yeah, I too think that is a tad warm.

I prefer my beer almost, but not quite frozen. Not slushy, but almost.

And poured into a thick mug that has been kept in the freezer.
07-16-2019, 12:02 AM - 3 Likes   #69039
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been away for a few days...
Not one mention of the cricket!!!!
The Saffer-Kiwi must be too distraught to speak about it.
In Oz we don't like the Kiwis (only in sport, I hasten to add), but we didn't like the poms first; so we think the Kiwis were robbed.
- Robbed on several counts; the four overthrows, the idiotic countback system, the lack of another few overs to establish a winner, the cheapskate ICC who obviously can't afford a second trophy so it could be declared a draw.
Did I say it was a farce? NO? Well it was.

It was almost enough for us to be sorry for the Kiwis.
07-16-2019, 02:10 AM - 3 Likes   #69040
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I too think that is a tad warm.

I prefer my beer almost, but not quite frozen. Not slushy, but almost.

And poured into a thick mug that has been kept in the freezer.
I think it's down to personal taste, as well as what we're used to in our respective countries.

I did, however, find the following online, which goes some way to explaining why the temperatures I mentioned have at least some merit:

"One of the finer points of beer enjoyment that’s too often overlooked is proper serving temperature. Serving beers at their proper temperature may take a little extra effort or planning, but the rewards are significant. Drinking beer at the proper temperature allows you to really taste the beer.

Quality beers shouldn’t be served colder than 44 degrees Fahrenheit. Here are some general temperature guidelines for different beers:

- Serve most premium lagers between 42 and 48 degrees Fahrenheit (6 to 9 degrees Celsius) and quality ales between 44 and 52 degrees Fahrenheit (7 to 11 degrees Celsius).

- Serve authentic Stouts as warm as 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius), which is British cellar temperature.

- Serve some high-gravity Barleywines, Old Ales, and barrel-aged Stouts only very lightly chilled or at room temperature, like a snifter of brandy.

In the United States, most beers are served much too cold for serious appreciation. In fact, ice-cold temperatures ruin the flavor of good beer. The average refrigerator is set to keep food and drinks chilled at around 38 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit (about 4 degrees Celsius), but serving beers at this temperature has several negatives, including the following:

- The colder the beer, the less carbonation is released; the less carbonation that’s released, the less aroma the beer gives off.

- The palate is numbed to the point that it can’t discern many of the beer’s flavor nuances. (So this explains why some beers are best served just above the freezing mark!) Why bother drinking a beer if you can’t taste it? May as well have a Slurpee.

Cold temperatures = less carbonation released = less aroma = less taste = why bother? Save the really cold temps for lawnmower beer — the kind you chug down after mowing the lawn (taste? who cares?)."

On that last point, one of my great pleasures is mowing the lawn on a warm day, then enjoying an ice cold lager beer whilst surveying the results of my efforts

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-16-2019 at 03:35 AM.
07-16-2019, 03:33 AM - 4 Likes   #69041
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Beer has nuances?

I never.
07-16-2019, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #69042
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news: Snowshoe baseball.

07-16-2019, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #69043
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Beer has nuances?
More so than I'm qualified to judge. I only know what I like... general pale / summer ales with a relatively low alcohol content (3.4 - 3.8%), not too malty and with a little bitterness in the finish. I tend not to like darker, heavier bitters (though some aren't too bad), but I love a well-kept stout every so often. And then, a really cold, simple lager beer on a hot day in the garden...
07-16-2019, 04:40 AM - 2 Likes   #69044
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

More so than I'm qualified to judge. I only know what I like... general pale / summer ales with a relatively low alcohol content (3.4 - 3.8%), not too malty and with a little bitterness in the finish. I tend not to like darker, heavier bitters (though some aren't too bad), but I love a well-kept stout every so often. And then, a really cold, simple lager beer on a hot day in the garden...
Bitter is not better.

07-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #69045
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see your studs and I show you mine!

Kitchen corner I'm pulling apart at the moment.
Oh nice; why are you getting into that craziness!