Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2019, 04:35 PM - 4 Likes   #69061
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... but I love a well-kept stout every so often. ...
Are we still talking about beer?

07-16-2019, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #69062
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very well explained Mike.
Thanks, mate, but I can't take credit... I found that online, and even that basic information was more detailed than my own knowledge All I've ever known is how we keep beers in the UK, and that it's sacrilege here to chill an ale or stout
07-16-2019, 04:37 PM - 2 Likes   #69063
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Are we still talking about beer?
You sound like a more manly version of my ex-wife...

EDIT: I've just figured that out. It's late, too warm, and I've had a couple of glasses of wine. That's my excuse
07-16-2019, 04:37 PM - 4 Likes   #69064
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Oh nice; why are you getting into that craziness!
I'm doing over the Kitchen in three parts. Island was first, now the cooker to fridge corner, and then the storage / pantry side last.
Flooring to be replaced too, but it will be overlay flooring so, no need to do it before the joinery.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
07-16-2019, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #69065
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You sound like a more manly version of my ex-wife...

EDIT: I've just figured that out. It's late, too warm, and I've had a couple of glasses of wine. That's my excuse
Speechless.
07-16-2019, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #69066
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm doing over the Kitchen in three parts. Island was first, now the cooker to fridge corner, and then the storage / pantry side last.
Flooring to be replaced too, but it will be overlay flooring so, no need to do it before the joinery.
Nice island, Mark! I don't dream about them, but my dream kitchen would be based around an island. I can't do it in my home, as the kitchen is L-shaped and the main cooking area is too small for anything in the middle. The long part of the L has the fridge, storage units and a breakfast bar with skylight windows above it. It's nice - though I never actually use it for breakfast. It's where I set my laptop up for daily use But I do like an island...
07-16-2019, 06:53 PM - 4 Likes   #69067
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'm here... I just tend not to get "into it" on sport But I do have my opinions, so here goes:

- Everyone knows that every sport and every tournament / contest / match is regulated by well-documented rules (we don't have to like 'em, but they exist, and for good reason)
- Everyone knows that umpires / referees / judges in every sport make mistakes, which is hardly surprising given the range and volume of aspects they're monitoring
- Everyone knows that finals in any tournament or league contest attract far more critique than earlier legs where, no surprise, umpiring and judging mistakes occur too
- Everyone knows that, despite mistakes, an umpire or judge's word is final (someone has to be ultimately responsible)

... and then:

- Everyone knows that NZ and England played absolutely neck and neck with nothing to choose between them... In that sense, they were both winners, and aside from the rules, I'd be happy if a draw was declared
- Everyone knows that the ICC rules mean there must be a single winner for the World Cup
- Everyone knows that the umpires missed something in the final, but no-one knows how that decision (or a different one) would / could have affected the match
- Everyone knows that a whole bunch of other umpiring mistakes were probably made in earlier legs, that didn't get the same attention for obvious reasons

... and finally:

- No-one should be too surprised when the losing team(s) and supporters pore over every detail to see how the winning team's victory might be bogus - but it's hardly endearing...
- Gentlemen should, IMHO, accept whatever official decisions are made with grace
- There aren't too many gentlemen around these days, especially where sport's concerned
- The winning team and their supporters really appreciate when the losing team and their supporters simply respect the result, congratulate them, and are happy for them

Cricket isn't a big sport for me (few are, actually). I'm a boxing guy, primarily. Now, there's a sport where big events - big title fights - can be won or lost on the decisions of referees and judges... and, frequently, mistakes and poor decisions are made. But they are what they are. They're part of the sport, an acknowledged risk. So long as there's no foul play, one accepts the decision gracefully, congratulates the winner, and shows absolute respect for the competitor. At least, that's what I'd do...

One could tear apart the victory and hold up the victor's win as somehow false. One could analyse every second of every game leading up to the final from start to finish, looking for mistakes. But... well, it seems rather churlish and unsportsmanlike, no?

EDIT: I've read from some quarters that the correct result should have been a draw... but that's against the rules of the tournament. Yet, the same folks suggesting it are very tight on the umpires' application of rules. So which is it to be? It all seems rather ungentlemanly and against the whole character of cricket as a sport
Here I go feeling like I have to correct you guys again.

It is a ball game.

And once again, I quote Earnest Hemmingway.

QuoteQuote:
“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

07-16-2019, 07:34 PM - 3 Likes   #69068
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice island, Mark! I don't dream about them, but my dream kitchen would be based around an island. I can't do it in my home, as the kitchen is L-shaped and the main cooking area is too small for anything in the middle. The long part of the L has the fridge, storage units and a breakfast bar with skylight windows above it. It's nice - though I never actually use it for breakfast. It's where I set my laptop up for daily use But I do like an island...
Thanks. It's a work in progress. The pillar had to remain as it holds up quite a big part of the roof. It used to be a much bigger lump though, because the hot water cylinder used to be there, in a cupboard. So, it's been quite a drawn out saga because I had to move the hot water cylinder to a different part of the house (which meant a new cylinder) and where the fridge is now, there used to be a coalrange, so I had to do a new ceiling to hide all the old flue pipe and water pipe penetrations.

Our island has no breakfast bar, it's storage and workspace only. The dining table is not far away, so we prefer to sit there - no need to sit in the Kitchen too. When it's all done, it will be quite a large Kitchen area and it's quite practical having the island in the middle. There used to be a (typical 1950's) island there that I hacked out. Complete with mustard coloured tiles for the bench.
07-16-2019, 10:35 PM - 3 Likes   #69069
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Oh nice; why are you getting into that craziness!
They lost the World Cup
07-17-2019, 01:56 AM - 3 Likes   #69070
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Thanks. It's a work in progress. The pillar had to remain as it holds up quite a big part of the roof. It used to be a much bigger lump though, because the hot water cylinder used to be there, in a cupboard. So, it's been quite a drawn out saga because I had to move the hot water cylinder to a different part of the house (which meant a new cylinder) and where the fridge is now, there used to be a coalrange, so I had to do a new ceiling to hide all the old flue pipe and water pipe penetrations.

Our island has no breakfast bar, it's storage and workspace only. The dining table is not far away, so we prefer to sit there - no need to sit in the Kitchen too. When it's all done, it will be quite a large Kitchen area and it's quite practical having the island in the middle. There used to be a (typical 1950's) island there that I hacked out. Complete with mustard coloured tiles for the bench.
So your house has an island.

And it is on an island.

But no man is an island.
07-17-2019, 04:21 AM   #69071
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice! I guess I was wondering why you had to remove the drywall.
07-17-2019, 04:25 AM - 4 Likes   #69072
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Darth produced some fine ribs yesterday; three hours at 250 and then an hour going from 250 up to 450. The missus made up some fine side fixings so a very enjoyable supper to be sure. No need to say bacon as pork is in the picture.
Attached Images

07-17-2019, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #69073
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does that gas pump serve stout?
07-17-2019, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #69074
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Us too and that is why we are ripping out the wall between the kitchen and livingroom/dining area....craziness abounds!
07-17-2019, 05:09 AM   #69075
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have the same predicament. the roof was not built with trusses but with rafters. The wall we are removing is load bearing so a post and beam (LVL) will have to replace it. Hopefully, the whole thing does not come down around our ears