07-17-2019, 05:10 AM - 3 Likes   #69076
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So your house has an island.

And it is on an island.

But no man is an island.
Deep...but a little early to be into the bourbon, no?

07-17-2019, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #69077
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Good morning all...finally caught up on three days worth of "The Thread". We had a very productive weekend. I hauled up a good load of boxes and a couple of my tool chests (very heavy) on Friday and then we spent the weekend further demolishing the kitchen area and carefully lifting 60 year old hardwood for reuse in the master bedroom. The flooring guy refinished some of the flooring already and it looks great (I will post some pix later on...sorry guys, ASCII 4B33 shots they will be. My son joined us for the weekend and not only was he impressed with our new abode but he put in a solid weekend of labour. Thanks Dan! Well, back to this job of mine. Have a great day/morning/evening everyone!

I am feeling a bit the same. Last week I thought I was buying a house, then discovered that the seller had given a dud building report and repairs would cost double their estimate and make ongoing problems for getting a mortgage and insurance forever into the future, and that would make reselling trouble when the time for that comes. So the seller can keep their house. I need to look for a different one.

And yesterday all day was taken up with going to a meeting in Farnborough. Unfortunately there was no airshow happening.

And the bother of trying to buy some windscreen wipers on Amazon. I inserted my car registration number and their system correctly identified the model of my car.
The first wipers I bought were from a German maker, Heyner. They comprised wiper blades and several plastic adapter mouldings. One of the adapters fitted into my wiper arms, but the people at Heyner had been so lazy they never checked that the adapters they shipped as part of their product actually fitted with the other part of their product. Pure laziness.
The next one I bought was Bosch. The pictures on Amazon were not good enough to see exactly the connecting bit that fits into the wiper arms. On arrival I found that it did not fit.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a strip of wiper rubber and slide it into the wiper blades myself, just like the old days? That would solve my problem because there is nothing wrong with the structure, it is only the rubber that has failed.

Actually, one of the most frustrating things I find with shopping on Amazon is that if I know exactly what I want, brand, model etc, and search for that they will deliver me a whole lot of choices which are not what I want, and maybe even if I type in the heading that Amazon give to name the product once you get to the item page it might not even appear in any of the search results.
07-17-2019, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #69078
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh yes. The train is my favourite, too. City centre to city centre, no security hassle, plenty of space.

Unfortunately there's no express train running to South Africa from here

Cecil Rhodes tried to get the land to make that possible but the scheme fell apart.
07-17-2019, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #69079
Pentaxian

And here is bacon, before and after. Again, only one photo, well, one image of two photos ;-)

This morning I saw a semi labelled "Moll's Bacon". Could carry quite a bit of bacon, unless the sign was just a decoy.

07-17-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #69080
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I have been away for a few days...
Not one mention of the cricket!!!!
The Saffer-Kiwi must be too distraught to speak about it.
In Oz we don't like the Kiwis (only in sport, I hasten to add), but we didn't like the poms first; so we think the Kiwis were robbed.
- Robbed on several counts; the four overthrows, the idiotic countback system, the lack of another few overs to establish a winner, the cheapskate ICC who obviously can't afford a second trophy so it could be declared a draw.
Did I say it was a farce? NO? Well it was.

It was almost enough for us to be sorry for the Kiwis.

Are you suggesting I celebrate?

How could I?
07-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #69081
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I am feeling a bit the same. Last week I thought I was buying a house, then discovered that the seller had given a dud building report and repairs would cost double their estimate and make ongoing problems for getting a mortgage and insurance forever into the future, and that would make reselling trouble when the time for that comes. So the seller can keep their house. I need to look for a different one.

And yesterday all day was taken up with going to a meeting in Farnborough. Unfortunately there was no airshow happening.

And the bother of trying to buy some windscreen wipers on Amazon. I inserted my car registration number and their system correctly identified the model of my car.
The first wipers I bought were from a German maker, Heyner. They comprised wiper blades and several plastic adapter mouldings. One of the adapters fitted into my wiper arms, but the people at Heyner had been so lazy they never checked that the adapters they shipped as part of their product actually fitted with the other part of their product. Pure laziness.
The next one I bought was Bosch. The pictures on Amazon were not good enough to see exactly the connecting bit that fits into the wiper arms. On arrival I found that it did not fit.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a strip of wiper rubber and slide it into the wiper blades myself, just like the old days? That would solve my problem because there is nothing wrong with the structure, it is only the rubber that has failed.

Actually, one of the most frustrating things I find with shopping on Amazon is that if I know exactly what I want, brand, model etc, and search for that they will deliver me a whole lot of choices which are not what I want, and maybe even if I type in the heading that Amazon give to name the product once you get to the item page it might not even appear in any of the search results.
Look up wiper refill....or go to your local autoparts store, they should carry "cut to fit" wiper blades
07-17-2019, 05:36 AM   #69082
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

Saw that on the Beeb site yesterday. Thanks for drawing it to our attention.

07-17-2019, 05:39 AM - 4 Likes   #69083
Veteran Member

Morning all!
The heat is on, lows in the upper 70's, highs 99, heat indexes 105 to 110. I'm glad we got a new central AC unit last year.

The bbq forum will be down for a good while, it's going to a different provider.
So I'll be hanging out here pestering youse guys more than normal.
Happy Hump Day!
07-17-2019, 05:39 AM - 5 Likes   #69084
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm here... I just tend not to get "into it" on sport But I do have my opinions, so here goes:

- Everyone knows that every sport and every tournament / contest / match is regulated by well-documented rules (we don't have to like 'em, but they exist, and for good reason)
- Everyone knows that umpires / referees / judges in every sport make mistakes, which is hardly surprising given the range and volume of aspects they're monitoring
- Everyone knows that finals in any tournament or league contest attract far more critique than earlier legs where, no surprise, umpiring and judging mistakes occur too
- Everyone knows that, despite mistakes, an umpire or judge's word is final (someone has to be ultimately responsible)

... and then:

- Everyone knows that NZ and England played absolutely neck and neck with nothing to choose between them... In that sense, they were both winners, and aside from the rules, I'd be happy if a draw was declared
- Everyone knows that the ICC rules mean there must be a single winner for the World Cup
- Everyone knows that the umpires missed something in the final, but no-one knows how that decision (or a different one) would / could have affected the match
- Everyone knows that a whole bunch of other umpiring mistakes were probably made in earlier legs, that didn't get the same attention for obvious reasons

... and finally:

- No-one should be too surprised when the losing team(s) and supporters pore over every detail to see how the winning team's victory might be bogus - but it's hardly endearing...
- Gentlemen should, IMHO, accept whatever official decisions are made with grace
- There aren't too many gentlemen around these days, especially where sport's concerned
- The winning team and their supporters really appreciate when the losing team and their supporters simply respect the result, congratulate them, and are happy for them

Cricket isn't a big sport for me (few are, actually). I'm a boxing guy, primarily. Now, there's a sport where big events - big title fights - can be won or lost on the decisions of referees and judges... and, frequently, mistakes and poor decisions are made. But they are what they are. They're part of the sport, an acknowledged risk. So long as there's no foul play, one accepts the decision gracefully, congratulates the winner, and shows absolute respect for the competitor. At least, that's what I'd do...

One could tear apart the victory and hold up the victor's win as somehow false. One could analyse every second of every game leading up to the final from start to finish, looking for mistakes. But... well, it seems rather churlish and unsportsmanlike, no?

EDIT: I've read from some quarters that the correct result should have been a draw... but that's against the rules of the tournament. Yet, the same folks suggesting it are very tight on the umpires' application of rules. So which is it to be? It all seems rather ungentlemanly and against the whole character of cricket as a sport

What they should have done was declare a draw, cut the trophy in two with an angle grinder and award half to each team. Sorry about the challenges that makes for players to drink from the trophy. Then, at the next World Cup, if it is won by exactly one team, weld the trophy back together.
07-17-2019, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #69085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Morning all!
The heat is on, lows in the upper 70's, highs 99, heat indexes 105 to 110. I'm glad we got a new central AC unit last year.

The bbq forum will be down for a good while, it's going to a different provider.
So I'll be hanging out here pestering youse guys more than normal.
Happy Hump Day!
Yay! More of Bob!!
07-17-2019, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #69086
Pentaxian

Look up wiper refill....or go to your local autoparts store, they should carry "cut to fit" wiper blades

Thanks, I'll try that. Must get back to useful stuff now.
07-17-2019, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #69087
Veteran Member

Yay! More of Bob!!
That brought a smile to this old man's face.

07-17-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #69088
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So your house has an island.

And it is on an island.

But no man is an island.
But they are a Pentaxion.........
07-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #69089
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What they should have done was declare a draw, cut the trophy in two with an angle grinder and award half to each team. Sorry about the challenges that makes for players to drink from the trophy. Then, at the next World Cup, if it is won by exactly one team, weld the trophy back together.
Hi Tim

How many more " accidental 4rs"are now going to be scored from here on in
A bad precedent has been set

Dave
07-17-2019, 10:04 AM - 3 Likes   #69090
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darth produced some fine ribs yesterday; three hours at 250 and then an hour going from 250 up to 450. The missus made up some fine side fixings so a very enjoyable supper to be sure. No need to say bacon as pork is in the picture.
And no parboiling first, right?