Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #70291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We still do that. Simply dip the kettle in the lake, boil and you're good.
In Algonquin you still have to be a little cautious but typically we boil water right out of the lake and use a water purification pump for drinking water.

09-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #70292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ours was a hike and paddle. But some of our carries were 2 hours, 2/3s with load. The food barrels get lighter as the trip goes on, but my first carry over the portage, day pack camera gear and canoe never gets any lighter.

We have a Platypus gravity water filtration system, but not used much on this trip. Most of the time it was straight out of the lake, with the caveat we do paddle away from shore to get away from particulate matter stirred up off a shallow bottom.

Algonquin Park is a geological dome. It's water feeds much of southern Ontario. On this trip we travelled across the top of the park Osler lake is the highest lake in the park, so there are no sources of polution. So only near our put in and take out did we worry about filtering. Around the edges of the park that are easier for car campers to get to we filter religiously. Once you are two days in, there's not much to worry about. Our water filter is for city folk who don't understand the concept of "pure water." Many of the access lakes have extensive cottage development and motor boats. Filtering is necessary.
...unless you end up with giardiasis...not a human thing
09-09-2019, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #70293
Veteran Member

I have a LifeStraw in my BOB (bug out bag).

09-09-2019, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #70294
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
...unless you end up with giardiasis...not a human thing
No . . . . . . don't want beaver fever.

Oh no.

09-09-2019, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #70295
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I may have shared this before, but is still growing, and worth another look.

Miniatur Wunderland OFFICIAL VIDEO - world?s largest model railway | railroad - YouTube
Wow!!!
Indeed!

They're quite obsessed with the creation of life, though - and related activities
09-09-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #70296
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

...unless you end up with giardiasis...
That I have tried. I won't recommend it. Not even to K-3 owners

But hey, the symptoms are almost completely gone now - a scant 16 years later
09-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #70297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
All this talk about water, and drinkability . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . one thing most of us never think about, is that there is the same amount of water on Earth today, as there was in the beginning. It has been "recycled" many times over.

The water any of you draws from a tap, or pours from a bottle, is no more than dinosaur pee.

Cheers!

It's probably also been beer, bacon or cheese. Why do you focus on pee?

09-09-2019, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #70298
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's probably also been beer, bacon or cheese. Why do you focus on pee?
The one thing we do the most of with water is drink it. What doesn't get out of us by perspiration has to exit somehow.
09-09-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #70299
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
When we're away from populated areas we fetch our drinking water straight from the streams. In the lowlands you want to know where the stream originates, though. In the mountains, drink and be happy.
Except if there's a dead animal a short walk upstream lying in the stream bed.

There's also Primary meningoencephalitis, in geothermal water, which is rare, but happens here. Symptoms begin with a change in taste or smell, followed by headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, fever, stiff neck and mental acuity changes. The infection typically affects the olfactory bulb and grey matter of the frontal, temporal and cerebellar lobes and usually runs a rapid course with death within 6 days of onset of symptoms. There is no cure.
09-09-2019, 03:48 PM - 4 Likes   #70300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I have a LifeStraw in my BOB (bug out bag).
Absolutely the best way to get a good workout for your cheek muscles
09-09-2019, 04:35 PM - 3 Likes   #70301
Veteran Member

There's also Primary meningoencephalitis, in geothermal water, which is rare, but happens here. Symptoms begin with a change in taste or smell, followed by headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, fever, stiff neck and mental acuity changes.
I have a few of those symptoms and haven't had even a sip of your geothermal water.
09-09-2019, 04:55 PM - 4 Likes   #70302
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a few of those symptoms and haven't had even a sip of your geothermal water.
Water is safe if diluted with whiskey.
09-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #70303
Pentaxian

Except if there's a dead animal a short walk upstream lying in the stream bed.

There's also Primary meningoencephalitis, in geothermal water, which is rare, but happens here. Symptoms begin with a change in taste or smell, followed by headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, fever, stiff neck and mental acuity changes. The infection typically affects the olfactory bulb and grey matter of the frontal, temporal and cerebellar lobes and usually runs a rapid course with death within 6 days of onset of symptoms. There is no cure.
Geothermal water, as in hot springs? Ya, I don't drink that water. I own't drink any water unfiltered or treated the's anywhere near room temperature or higher. You have to know what might live in the water. Cold water kills most things capable of harming humans.

The most dangerous part of the park is the drive there and back. There are drownings, bear attacks (3 I think in 100 years) etc. but, the way there is way more life threatening. And if if you don't go to the park you're probably driving somewhere else anyway. The park itself and the water therein has for the most part nothing to do with any kind of death statistics.
09-09-2019, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #70304
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well Bob I guess NZ is not on your bucket list anymore.
09-09-2019, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #70305
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So all the places in the world that have a "new" have an old. New Guinea has Guinea, New Mexico has Mexico, New Hampshire has Hampshire, but what about New Zealand?

Where is Zealand?