Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 02:49 AM   #71671
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congratulations to you both on the 50 years

Judy and I celebrate Sept 7 every year

since 1991

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-02-2019 at 04:32 AM.
11-02-2019, 04:23 AM   #71672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations also! Only 20 years for me.
11-02-2019, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #71673
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grandson's wedding was great, food at the reception was great, I was able to avoid eye contact with my ex, so that was also great.
11-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #71674
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
The current US passport & passport card puts your personal information on an non-encrypted embedded RFID chip. I can't speak for other US States with enhanced driver's license, but if you have an enhanced Michigan DL, it is the same as having a US passport card - and has an non-encrypted embedded RFID chip. There is speculation that nefarious identity thieves can capture this data with portable RFID scanners. Standing in public airline ticketing areas or exits from baggage claim, car rental or hotel check-in desks are 'good' spots to capture this data. In short, use RFID shields with your official identification and minimize the time it sits outside these shields.

Something else I noticed ... I renew my Michigan DL typically every 4 years. I renew my passport every 10 years. The added renewal cost for an enhanced Michigan DL is about the same as the marginal cost of getting a passport card at the same time as I renew my full passport. The difference is having to provide that citizenship paperwork every 4 years versus every 10 years. Since I have a passport card, I no longer get the enhanced Michigan DL. I fly with my passport card instead. And I use my non-RFID chip Michigan DL when standing at places like car rental or hotel check-in desks.

We have a lot of non-US members in this Forum. Please accept my apologies for temporarily hi-jacking this thread for a topic that likely doesn't matter to you.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-02-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Cleanup, aisle 5.
11-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #71675
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The current US passport & passport card puts your personal information on an non-encrypted embedded RFID chip. I can't speak for other US States with enhanced driver's license, but if you have an enhanced Michigan DL, it is the same as having a US passport card - and has an non-encrypted embedded RFID chip. There is speculation that nefarious identity thieves can capture this data with portable RFID scanners. Standing in public airline ticketing areas or exits from baggage claim, car rental or hotel check-in desks are 'good' spots to capture this data. In short, use RFID shields with your official identification and minimize the time it sits outside these shields. . . .
they do sell RFID sleeves which are suppose to protect you credit cards and other items

rfid blocking - Google Search

whether they actually work

????
QuoteQuote:

Finally, if you're worried about e-pickpocketing but don't want to spend much money, you can make your own blocking wallet or wrap your cards or passport in a thick piece of aluminum foil. According to Consumer Reports, that works as well as most RFID protectors on the market
- There Are Plenty Of RFID-Blocking Products, But Do You Need Them? : All Tech Considered : NPR
11-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #71676
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The current US passport & passport card puts your personal information on an non-encrypted embedded RFID chip. I can't speak for other US States with enhanced driver's license, but if you have an enhanced Michigan DL, it is the same as having a US passport card - and has an non-encrypted embedded RFID chip. There is speculation that nefarious identity thieves can capture this data with portable RFID scanners. Standing in public airline ticketing areas or exits from baggage claim, car rental or hotel check-in desks are 'good' spots to capture this data. In short, use RFID shields with your official identification and minimize the time it sits outside these shields.
I changed to the enhanced Washington state driver's license when I drove big trucks, as the carrier I drove for sent me to Canada frequently, and it saved me time, and optimized the value of me as a driver for the carrier.

Although I no longer drive trucks, I keep the enhanced driver's license, as I travel to Canada for pleasure frequently, and it makes crossing the border quick and convenient. Now with the new airplane travel identification requirements changing, I am ready.

The DMV gives drivers a shielding sleeve to place the card in, and explains why. The sleeve is essentially a Faraday cage, blocking electromagnetic fields, thus preventing nefarious miscreants from taking that which is not theirs. I asked for extra sleeves, and then placed my credit cards in them to further protect my identity.
11-02-2019, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #71677
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I travel to Canada for pleasure frequently

11-02-2019, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #71678
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
. . . . . . I was able to avoid eye contact with my ex, so that was also great.
Being on the same planet is difficult for me where Mrs. Racer 1.0 is concerned.

I even have a hard time having to breathe the same air that she does.
11-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #71679
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Me too; taking the family out for dinner to celebrate my our 50th wedding anniversary which was yesterday (1 Nov).
(one neighbour said that I would have only got half that for murder, the other neighbour (our pastor) and his wife brought in morning tea and we had a very enjoyable time.)
Congrats on the 50th!

---------- Post added 11-02-19 at 09:30 AM ----------

Tin foil wallet should take care of rfid, assuming you are using a wallet of course.
11-02-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #71680
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I changed to the enhanced Washington state driver's license when I drove big trucks, as the carrier I drove for sent me to Canada frequently, and it saved me time, and optimized the value of me as a driver for the carrier.

Although I no longer drive trucks, I keep the enhanced driver's license, as I travel to Canada for pleasure frequently, and it makes crossing the border quick and convenient. Now with the new airplane travel identification requirements changing, I am ready.

The DMV gives drivers a shielding sleeve to place the card in, and explains why. The sleeve is essentially a Faraday cage, blocking electromagnetic fields, thus preventing nefarious miscreants from taking that which is not theirs. I asked for extra sleeves, and then placed my credit cards in them to further protect my identity.
Yeah financial cards that may have a RFID chip will contain the account information. WHO is responsible for the account is generally not on the card. And why should it be? The provider of that card has it in their database. However, official identification for citizens and legal non-citizens DOES have WHO you are. And that data is NON-ENCRYPTED. Sure it is a nuisance, but I can close a financial account and open a new one. It is a bit harder to reboot ME should my identity be stolen.

Funny story - now - not so funny a few years ago... The US passport used to depend a lot on your name as to whether you got closer scrutiny coming back into the US. "James Johnson" - give me a break. How many people have that name? There had to be at least one seriously bad dude using my name. I was stopped literally every time I tried to reenter my country. Michigan borders Ontario, so like Mr. Racer, we routinely visit Canada. It got to the point that the border guards would apologize before asking me to head over to the additional inspection area. They didn't even bother with directions. My wife and I would leave our car and sit with some rather sketchy looking people waiting their turn for interrogation. I even had a personally signed letter from my US Senator on official Congressional letterhead on the subject. Made no difference. A decade ago we were returning home from Europe. The electronic kiosk refused to give me a boarding pass and directed me to the ticketing personnel. The gal took my passport, scanned it and suddenly her eyes got really big - she excused herself to go into the back room. I'm pretty sure she was calling the US State Department in the middle of the friggin night in Washington DC. She came back out and slided my passport and boarding pass across the counter, snatching her hand back so I couldn't possibly touch her - still with big eyes.

The problem disappeared when I renewed my passport - with its embedded RFID chip.
11-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #71681
Pentaxian

Yeah financial cards that may have a RFID chip will contain the account information. WHO is responsible for the account is generally not on the card. And why should it be? The provider of that card has it in their database. However, official identification for citizens and legal non-citizens DOES have WHO you are. And that data is NON-ENCRYPTED. Sure it is a nuisance, but I can close a financial account and open a new one. It is a bit harder to reboot ME should my identity be stolen.

Funny story - now - not so funny a few years ago... The US passport used to depend a lot on your name as to whether you got closer scrutiny coming back into the US. "James Johnson" - give me a break. How many people have that name? There had to be at least one seriously bad dude using my name. I was stopped literally every time I tried to reenter my country. Michigan borders Ontario, so like Mr. Racer, we routinely visit Canada. It got to the point that the border guards would apologize before asking me to head over to the additional inspection area. They didn't even bother with directions. My wife and I would leave our car and sit with some rather sketchy looking people waiting their turn for interrogation. I even had a personally signed letter from my US Senator on official Congressional letterhead on the subject. Made no difference. A decade ago we were returning home from Europe. The electronic kiosk refused to give me a boarding pass and directed me to the ticketing personnel. The gal took my passport, scanned it and suddenly her eyes got really big - she excused herself to go into the back room. I'm pretty sure she was calling the US State Department in the middle of the friggin night in Washington DC. She came back out and slided my passport and boarding pass across the counter, snatching her hand back so I couldn't possibly touch her - still with big eyes.

The problem disappeared when I renewed my passport - with its embedded RFID chip.
I'd like to know what came up on that poor woman's computer screen.
11-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #71682
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I always had to use my passport at airports

I am named after my grandfathers, one of which died before I was born and the other died when I was five or six

to avoid confusion I was called by my middle name not my first name

well computers generally want first name, middle initial and last name

and my DL listed me by the initial of my first name, full middle name and then last name

so my airline tickets didn't match my D L

now my Real ID DL lists my full name
11-02-2019, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #71683
Veteran Member

Better hope Parallax doesn't shut down this thread too for a lack of bacon, beer, cheese, and lutefisk discussion.
Oh, and boiling ribs.
11-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #71684
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Information that may be of interest to some who read the posts in this thread and who might post here as well:

QuoteQuote:
110 Bacon Recipes That Are Seriously Addictive
Literally everybody loves bacon.

by HANNAH DOOLIN
SEP 23, 2019

Crispy, salty and fatty, bacon is the ultimate ingredient that takes any recipe over the top. It's the perfect addition to any meal, whether you're cooking up a few strips with breakfast, making BLT recipes for lunch and dinner, or even sneaking it into dessert...yeah, we went there.
- 110+ Best Bacon Recipes - How To Cook Bacon - Delish.com

and there is this announcement by Adam as well:
QuoteQuote:
For this giveaway, I'm not going to be involving likes. Things just get too messy and would dilute the meaning of likes (i.e. which normally indicate quality content) throughout the forum.

However, here's a way in which we'll reward quality posts: in November, each review you post in the lens/camera/accessory review section will count as 20 bonus posts toward the giveaway.

This bonus will start once you reach 100 regular posts and make an entry in the grand prize raffle. It won't be shown in the progress tracker, but it will automatically be added at the end of the month.

Adam

Read more at: Win a Pentax KP, LX, 55-300mm, and more: 100 Year Giveaway - November - Event Kickoff - PentaxForums.com
11-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #71685
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam has announced the winners of the Grand Prize Raffle for October

congrats to the winners:
QuoteQuote:
I've now drawn the lucky numbers:

This means our winners are:

Grand prize: @Larrymc

Second palce: @Torashi

Third place: @Ash and @rod_grant

Congratulations!

Adam
Read more at: PentaxForums 100 Year Giveaway - October - Grand Prize Raffle Entry Thread - PentaxForums.com

well, time for me to keep posting and to have some bacon as well