Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #71806
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I know someone who fell for the "There's a problem with your computer" call from "Microsoft". They took over his computer and charged him a fairly large amount. When he told me about it I immediately told him it was a scam but he was still convinced it was really Microsoft. Somehow he managed to get his money back from his credit card company, though I am not sure he really deserved it.
I consider myself reasonably smart and clued up on such things, but even I nearly fell for a phone scam... Just after I moved into my current home, back in 2014, I got a call on my mobile from our TV Licensing Authority (allegedly), stating that I didn't have a license. The gist of the call was that I needed to pay there and then or risk prosecution. It was a very convincing call from someone with an English accent and a believable (but, I think, spoofed) telephone number. I almost gave out my credit card details... but stopped at the last minute and asked for the number to call them back. They wouldn't give me a number, and that's when the game was up. As it happens, I had forgotten to move my TV license from my old property, so it served as a handy reminder to get that sorted out

11-05-2019, 03:20 PM - 4 Likes   #71807
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
TV license
Do you ever have to renew the plates on your televisions?
11-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #71808
Pentaxian

I consider myself reasonably smart and clued up on such things, but even I nearly fell for a phone scam... Just after I moved into my current home, back in 2014, I got a call on my mobile from our TV Licensing Authority (allegedly), stating that I didn't have a license. The gist of the call was that I needed to pay there and then or risk prosecution. It was a very convincing call from someone with an English accent and a believable (but, I think, spoofed) telephone number. I almost gave out my credit card details... but stopped at the last minute and asked for the number to call them back. They wouldn't give me a number, and that's when the game was up. As it happens, I had forgotten to move my TV license from my old property, so it served as a handy reminder to get that sorted out
I have had emails saying my TV license payment hadn't gone through for some reason. I had to check the sending address and my online bank account showing the payment had been made before being sure it was a scam.

11-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #71809
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We have frozen croissants and in a tube.
Pillsbury calls them crescent rolls.
Apparently, we have frozen pre-rolled croissant pastry in a tube from "Jus-Rol"... but it gets poor reviews, and from what I've seen on videos the resulting croissants don't look right, nor do they have the light, layered texture you'd expect and want.

Still, I thought we didn't get tube-based baking products at all over here, but it seems we have this one, at least. I don't know of any others, though...

11-05-2019, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #71810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Funny. I know someone like that too. He was not too impressed with me when I laughed and laughed and laughed....
Same here. I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't told me about it and he hadn't contacted his credit card company. Having said that though I actually contacted Microsoft myself about an issue with a printer driver and arranged a callback at a convenient time and they took over my computer and did all the same things I had already done with no more success than I had. They even scheduled another phone call for the following week for a more in depth attempt to fix it. Before the second call I decided to reinstall Windows over the top of my install and that fixed it. At no point did they suggest trying that. So it was almost exactly like the scam calls , the only difference was that they didn't ask for credit card details.

11-05-2019, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #71811
Veteran Member

I know Amazon is hurting a lot of B&M businesses, just like Walmart has here in the states, and that bothers me, but damn it...........
Mrs Bob needed a new band for her Fitbit, ordered it yesterday, it just came and tracking has a pic of it at the door.
Cost? $6.69 USD, with free Prime shipping.
At least the two of us had a great lunch today at a locally owned, non-chain, restaurant.
11-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #71812
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I know Amazon is hurting a lot of B&M businesses, just like Walmart has here in the states, and that bothers me, but damn it...........
Mrs Bob needed a new band for her Fitbit, ordered it yesterday, it just came and tracking has a pic of it at the door.
Cost? $6.69 USD, with free Prime shipping.
At least the two of us had a great lunch today at a locally owned, non-chain, restaurant.
I confess

I use Amazon

and walmart

but

also locally owned businesses as well

one of the things I love to do when on my travels is to find those hidden gems that the locals know and avoid the tourist traps and nation wide franchises

11-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #71813
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought you get in trouble if you vote more than once?
Theoretically you can get in big trouble for voting more than once.
11-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #71814
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do they still have TV Licences Mike? I always wondered how they get people to pay?
11-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #71815
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
one of the things I love to do when on my travels is to find those hidden gems that the locals know and avoid the tourist traps and nation wide franchises
Blue Highways, by William Least Heat-Moon, travels with me in my mind as a guide, when we travel.
11-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #71816
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Do they still have TV Licences Mike?
Oh, yes.

I always wondered how they get people to pay?
It's somewhat vague and shrouded in secrecy, but I believe the authorities work on the default assumption that every property has the ability to receive live television, plus everyone who previously owned a TV licence should still have one... and, in either case, if there isn't a licence in place, it's up to the individual to prove they don't need one if challenged by letter, phone, or visit (the latter being handled by third party contractors).

In theory, I don't have an issue with funding our state broadcasting services. I don't think the licensing model is the best way, though. IMHO, it should be paid for through taxes - so it's available to everyone that pays tax, as well as those who don't for already-validated reasons. If someone chooses not to make use of the services, that's up to them - but a state broadcaster is an important facility whether or not you use it (like healthcare or schooling), and should be publicly funded since it mustn't rely on advertising revenue - in part because it should be entirely unbiased commercially and politically. And there's the problem... it's most definitely politically biased. I'm not so naive to think there's any such thing as completely unbiased broadcasting, but the BBC has become something of a national joke with its liberal-left bias. In that sense I object to the licence fee, but since I support the basic concept of a state broadcaster, I'm morally committed to paying it (and I do, every year, without fail)...
11-05-2019, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #71817
Veteran Member

I'm on season 2 of Detectorists, originally aired on BBC, and thoroughly enjoying it.
Metal detecting was a hobby of mine, back when I was able to get down on the ground and back up without help.
One thing that surprises me is some of the language, f-bomb and all, on what I assume is public TV.
You'll only hear that here on cable, or whatever they call it now.
11-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #71818
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I thought you get in trouble if you vote more than once?
The system is set up so doing so would be very difficult.

Besides, there are millions of folks voting, so any attempt at influencing an election would be extremely difficult. One would need to create a million or so illegitimate votes, and that in of itself would raise suspicion.
11-05-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #71819
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, yes.

It's somewhat vague and shrouded in secrecy, but I believe the authorities work on the default assumption that every property has the ability to receive live television, plus everyone who previously owned a TV licence should still have one... and, in either case, if there isn't a licence in place, it's up to the individual to prove they don't need one if challenged by letter, phone, or visit (the latter being handled by third party contractors).

In theory, I don't have an issue with funding our state broadcasting services. I don't think the licensing model is the best way, though. IMHO, it should be paid for through taxes - so it's available to everyone that pays tax, as well as those who don't for already-validated reasons. If someone chooses not to make use of the services, that's up to them - but a state broadcaster is an important facility whether or not you use it (like healthcare or schooling), and should be publicly funded since it mustn't rely on advertising revenue - in part because it should be entirely unbiased commercially and politically. And there's the problem... it's most definitely politically biased. I'm not so naive to think there's any such thing as completely unbiased broadcasting, but the BBC has become something of a national joke with its liberal-left bias. In that sense I object to the licence fee, but since I support the basic concept of a state broadcaster, I'm morally committed to paying it (and I do, every year, without fail)...
We had those in South Africa. Many did not pay. Here, the licence system was cancelled some years back and it's now tax funded, which makes far more sense IMHO. No need for "inspectors" and other petty officials. Moreover, with so much of TV now being subscription based (Netflix, etc) I can't see how the licencing model can continue to work, going forward.
11-05-2019, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #71820
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
One would need to create a million or so illegitimate votes, and that in of itself would raise suspicion.
Not in Zimbabwe!