Bacon

11-08-2019, 08:14 PM - 2 Likes   #71927
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I love those cartoons...

It's an interesting point, though... I don't think school reunions are a thing over here. I mean, they might be... but it's not something I've heard of. I get the impression they're bigger in the US?

Some years ago, an old school-days girlfriend of mine looked me up, and I met with her and another of my closer female school-friends in London, where all three of us were working by then. It was sort of fun, if a little weird and awkward at times. We promised to do it again, but never did - and I suspect that's exactly what we all thought would really happen

I've occasionally wondered what some of my other school chums ended up doing, but only occasionally - and never enough that I wanted to spend a whole night with a bunch of them to find out.

I do stay in touch with my closest friend from those days. I'd class him as my best friend if pushed, and we meet up for drinks and dinner every few months - but then, we've always stayed in touch, no matter how far apart we lived and worked. We maybe didn't meet every few months, but always got together when we could. And now I'm living back up in the North East, we see more of each other, which is cool
Although I didn't actually graduate, I have attended the 10, 20, 30 and 40 year reunions of my high school class. I discovered at the 10 year gathering that many of my classmates (about 8 or 10, I forget now) were also employed at the electric utility where I worked for 30 years. Funny how that happened, eh?

Rather than wait for the 50 year meetup, they had one at 45 this past September. I had planned on going, but the evening of the event, I said to Mrs. Racer 2.0, "There was something I was going to do this evening, but can't remember what it was."

Then I looked at the calendar on my phone.

Oops.

Well maybe they will have a 50 year meetup in five years.
11-08-2019, 08:17 PM - 3 Likes   #71928
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
Isn't this whole thread fluffy?

Bacon
No.

Go back and read all 71,927 posts.

Then come back and take the test.

There has been plenty of very informative and valuable contributions here.

And of course plenty of reasons why you don't need a K-3.
11-08-2019, 08:19 PM - 2 Likes   #71929
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
Isn't this whole thread fluffy?
The Thread™ is not fluffy.
Perhaps you need to read every post and get back with us once you comprehend the complexities involved here.
edit, Racer beat me to it, and he lives in a slow time zone.

11-08-2019, 09:28 PM - 2 Likes   #71930
Pentaxian

Guess I better hit the books...
11-09-2019, 04:12 AM - 2 Likes   #71931
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Mike; school reunions don't really happen over here in my experience (maybe a little like Hallowe'en!). Maybe it's something to do with the focus of where 'graduation' happens being different. In the US, young people graduate from both junior and high school at ages 13 and 18, and it's a really, really big deal, gowns, mortar boards, 24-hour parties and all - my middle son graduated from high school just outside Philadelphia when we lived there for a couple of years in the mid-00s. In the UK when we speak about graduation with the gowns and mortar boards, it's very much more aligned with the end of the Bachelor's degree level at age 21 - indeed, university students are referred to as 'undergraduates'. What then tends to happen here is that although there are few really formal gatherings (as far as I know) of former university graduates - except at places like Oxford and Cambridge, where it's very different - many graduate colleagues retained their links to their peer groups and meet up informally when it works. I'm still in regular touch with six of my graduation group (across a range of educational disciplines) from 45 years ago. One of those is a close friend, but even he has to give way to my oldest friend who I've known since age 5 in the first year of junior school! Which we referred to as 'infants' school'.
11-09-2019, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #71932
Veteran Member

School reunions don't seem as popular here as they once were. My 55 HS one would be next year, haven't been to any or heard of any being held over the years.

Where the heck is Charlie? I miss his always sorry ass.

11-09-2019, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #71933
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
School reunions don't seem as popular here as they once were.
I think it depends on the school. To my knowledge my high school graduating class has held two: 10 year and 33 1/3. Yeah some symbolism there. My wife's graduating class (we are the same age) has one at least every 5 years and it is fairly well attended. What is the difference? My mind, the organizing committees.

For my class, the organizers arranged formal dress, a live (loud) group, high-ticket affairs with over priced sit down meals, that are only moderately attended.

My wife's class picks a bar with a party room or patio, roughly $10 per person including soft drinks, simple snacks and skimpy decorations, cash bar and pot luck food offerings encouraged. My wife has a small class, but it is not unusual for 60% plus of the surviving members to attend - and a goodly number are no longer local. Maybe some background music, but nothing loud so the classmates and companions can actually hear themselves talk. With this frequency and attendance, we non-class members who come with our significant others don't feel like we are on the fringe. We also know plenty of people with which to mix and converse.

For the record- bacon wrapped water chestnuts make great reunion snacks.
11-09-2019, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #71934
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

School reunions don't seem as popular here as they once were. My 55 HS one would be next year, haven't been to any or heard of any being held over the years.
Most of them have probably passed away.

With each successive gathering, the number of attendees at mine have dwindled, and there has also at each one been some remembrances for those who have passed.

Indeed, some never made it to the 10 year. One gal, Monica Mendoza, succumbed to breast cancer before her mid twenties. A couple others (sorry but I forget their names) were killed in auto accidents. One was killed in Vietnam just prior to the US pullout. He had gotten in trouble with the law and was given a choice, go to war, or sit out his remaining teen years in juvenile detention. He chose the army, and never came home.

Where the heck is Charlie? I miss his always sorry ass.
Probably got that off road thing stuck in some mud, then it got frozen into the muck as the temps dropped, and he is consumed with trying to extricate if before winter consumes it completely.

Or, he has been out shooting with the livE hociR and been too busy to stop by for a beer and bacon.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-09-2019 at 08:46 AM.
11-09-2019, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #71935
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Probably go that off road thing stuck in some mud, then it got frozen into the muck as the temps dropped, and he is consumed with trying to extricate if before winter consumes it completely.
That was my first thought too.

11-09-2019, 12:58 PM - 3 Likes   #71936
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally home 29 hours after check-in in Durban. I have some catching up to do. But not today. I have some catching up to do with sleep, too. Just need to get the backup of the images going first.

Despite the delays both out and home it's been an absolutely fabulous trip, though. You can all look forward to the invitation over to look at the pictures
11-09-2019, 01:22 PM - 3 Likes   #71937
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Finally home 29 hours after check-in in Durban.
Welcome home!

You can all look forward to the invitation over to look at the pictures
I'll bring the popcorn.

11-09-2019, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #71938
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally home 29 hours after check-in in Durban. I have some catching up to do. But not today. I have some catching up to do with sleep, too.
In 29 hours you didn't take a nap or three?

Just need to get the backup of the images going first.

You can all look forward to the invitation over to look at the pictures
Oh boy!

A slide show?

I love slide shows!
11-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #71939
Pentaxian

Finally home 29 hours after check-in in Durban. I have some catching up to do. But not today. I have some catching up to do with sleep, too. Just need to get the backup of the images going first.

Despite the delays both out and home it's been an absolutely fabulous trip, though. You can all look forward to the invitation over to look at the pictures
Welcome home. We missed you. Where have you been? It's alright, we know where you've been.

You've been in the pipeline, waiting for bacon.
Provided with toys and scouting for bacon.

Last edited by MikeyBugs95; 11-09-2019 at 03:01 PM.
11-09-2019, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #71940
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
You've been in the pipeline, waiting for bacon.
There is bacon in the pipeline?

Guess I need to learn to surf.