Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 01:32 PM - 4 Likes   #73006
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Oh, I see you've been discussing that flat earth nonsense Truth be told, I've seen it being made fun of all over the place for the past year or so, but never have I met, either online or offline, anyone who genuinely subscribes to it.

On the other hand, I keep running into people who genuinely believe in homeopathy - that like cures like, and that stuff diluted so much not a single molecule of the original substance can be detected through modern laboratory techniques still has some sort of effect. And unlike the flat earth stuff that's a multi-billion dollar industry that manipulates people into believing things that are about as logical and real as witchcraft, or unicorns, or the Force from Star Wars ...
Whoa there! I agree with all that other stuff, but don't you mess with the Force! I have seen some of those documentaries and it's pretty potent stuff! In fact I believe it's causing Bob's current discomforts, probably the same throat condition mr. Vader got. Potent stuff, I tell ya!

12-03-2019, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #73007
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've always called "swedes/rutabagas" turnips. As that's what they are. Those other little things are pathetic attempts at turnips.
Those little things are perfectly suitable for feeding livestock, especially the kind eventually turned into haggis. Result!
12-03-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #73008
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I still think a saddle with some padding would be beneficial.

At least it would reduce that rectal agony.
Rectus and rectal are two different areas!
12-03-2019, 02:07 PM - 6 Likes   #73009
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not quite.

Assuming that Mark is talking about the English statute mile as defined in 1593, 100 miles = 160.934 km.

"A Mile shall contain eight Furlongs, every Furlong forty Poles, and every Pole shall contain sixteen Foot and an half."

Just trying to wrestle some nerdy pedantry away from Bert
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Let’s not confuse the discussion with facts.
Plus, I was going to ask, but got sidetracked:

The forty Poles: Is that 40 Polish gentlemen standing upright, or laid end to end?

12-03-2019, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #73010
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite a lot of climbing, though.

And some steep descents. If anyone should happen to have a "body built for speed" (not singling out anyone, of course) they could gain some considerable velocity going down those
12-03-2019, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #73011
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've seen the tins in quite a few Tesco's.
Here you go

https://www.amazon.ca/Grants-100371394-Premium-Haggis-392g/dp/B004MXQ7E4/ref...5407361&sr=8-1
12-03-2019, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #73012
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If I'm being picky, here - and I am - rectus could refer to one or many different areas, being any structure of straight muscles, as in the neck, abdomen, thigh etc.

You're welcome

12-03-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #73013
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
According to her they are not easy to communicate with as they seem obsessed with getting some sort of task done. They are so focused on that object that it is hard to get them communicate at all.
Oh, this is getting cunninger and cunninger. What sort of task?
12-03-2019, 02:14 PM - 5 Likes   #73014
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And then, of course, there's "rectum"... for example:
I was disposing of my old desktop and laptop PCs yesterday, and needed to make my old hard disks unreadable for security reasons. So, I took a power drill to them and rectum...
12-03-2019, 02:15 PM - 5 Likes   #73015
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As opposed to a rictus rectus. Which is the fixed smile that you get when you think about straight muscle structures.
12-03-2019, 02:16 PM - 4 Likes   #73016
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You gotta love a thread that covers the shape of the earth, the devil, imperial vs metric distances, rectal agony, Vikings, world explorers and more in just a few short hours. Where else on the internet, eh?

You could have a child read nothing but this thread and come away with a varied education. On second thoughts, that's a really bad idea
The child is bound to be better prepared for life than by simply going to school. Hell, this thread should be part of the school curriculum!
12-03-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #73017
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You could have a child read nothing but this thread and come away with a varied education. On second thoughts, that's a really bad idea
That child would live off an exclusive diet of bacon and surströmming and die of malnourishment about a year or so later.
12-03-2019, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #73018
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whoa there! I agree with all that other stuff, but don't you mess with the Force! I have seen some of those documentaries and it's pretty potent stuff! In fact I believe it's causing Bob's current discomforts, probably the same throat condition mr. Vader got. Potent stuff, I tell ya!
I have been trying to levitate things for years, with only limited success. So, I think the potency may have diminished.
12-03-2019, 02:26 PM - 5 Likes   #73019
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That child would live off an exclusive diet of bacon and surströmming and die of malnourishment about a year or so later.
Pigs eat a balanced diet, ergo, bacon must be a balanced diet.
12-03-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #73020
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Oh, I see you've been discussing that flat earth nonsense Truth be told, I've seen it being made fun of all over the place for the past year or so, but never have I met, either online or offline, anyone who genuinely subscribes to it.

On the other hand, I keep running into people who genuinely believe in homeopathy - that like cures like, and that stuff diluted so much not a single molecule of the original substance can be detected through modern laboratory techniques still has some sort of effect. And unlike the flat earth stuff that's a multi-billion dollar industry that manipulates people into believing things that are about as logical and real as witchcraft, or unicorns, or the Force from Star Wars ...
South Park did an episode about homeopathy. It was quite entertaining.