Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 02:40 AM - 3 Likes   #73066
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have to defend American "beer" just a little... I mean, it's not beer - but in the right circumstances, I find it refreshing and enjoyable. For example, it's good for quenching thirst after working in the garden during summer, with a mild alcohol kick as a reward.

Years ago, my ex-wife, son and I went to Florida on vacation, and had a very enjoyable lunch at a catfish, rib and chicken shack. They brewed their own beer which they served at a ridiculously low price per pitcher, and I ordered one to try. It was perfect for the meal... Pretty low in alcohol, I'd say - maybe 2 - 3%? - but inoffensive, ice cold, and it washed our food down nicely. Cooled us down, too, before venturing back into the heat and humidity
You are describing Swedish beer.

But I have to object to putting all American beer (and "beer") in one crate. It's like saying "all Americans are stupid". Yes, there are plenty of stupid Americans, of course, with 350 million of them to pick from. But there are actually some pretty smart ones, too. Quite a lot of them, actually. Same with the beer. They make some exceptionally good beer, they're just not made by the big industrial "beer" brewers.

I'm sure you can even find some good beer in Sweden. Probably imported, but still.

12-04-2019, 02:48 AM   #73067
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's what cider's for.
Though don't drink too much, or you'll end up like Thomas Benjamin Wild Esq.
There's cider and there's cider. Some are light and refreshing on their own, others are better accompanied by food.

Some of my wife's cousins are fruit farmers. They claim that proper ciders "go to your legs, but not to your head" - you may have difficulties walking straight but you won't have a headache the next morning
12-04-2019, 02:55 AM   #73068
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Can you sleep with all that ..well...light shining.

Dave
It is connected to a switched outlet. When it is bedtime we simply flip the switch.
12-04-2019, 02:59 AM   #73069
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yes, there are plenty of stupid Americans, of course, with 350 million of them to pick from. But there are actually some pretty smart ones, too.
Why, thank you.

Thank you very much.

12-04-2019, 03:18 AM   #73070
Veteran Member

There's cider and there's cider.
There's cider and then there's Scrumpy...! A lot of the farmers around rural UK make their own which allegedly has to have a dead rat in it to taste right. We were in a country pub near Taunton and fancied a drink, however the landlord would only sell me a half pint (on the condition I wasn't driving} and refused to sell to my wife.

A great taste, but not something I want to get used to drinking....
12-04-2019, 03:33 AM   #73071
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Swedes have something called “Lattol”, iirc, which is alcohol-free beer. I never saw the point of that or Coors etc - one has the taste, the other the alcohol. The decision is yours!
12-04-2019, 03:51 AM   #73072
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Swedes have something called “Lattol”, iirc, which is alcohol-free beer. I never saw the point of that or Coors etc - one has the taste, the other the alcohol. The decision is yours!
There's a zero alcohol beer that I buy here in the UK (though I believe it's made in Holland) called "Bavaria". It actually tastes like a proper "lite" lager beer, albeit without any of the alcohol flavour or sensation. It's a pretty nice drink to have with barbecue meats, or just on a warm summer afternoon in the garden. I actually prefer it to some alcoholic lagers. I keep some in the fridge year round in case my cousin visits, as he comes by car. He likes it too

12-04-2019, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #73073
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Yes, Lättöl, and they also have what they call Mällanöl which is maximum 2.8% alcohol (I think) and has very little taste. At least it did the last time I tried - but then non-alcoholic beers have become a lot better over the last 10 years or so, so maybe the mällanöl has improved as well. I'll never find out

Btw, to get proper beer in Sweden you ask for stärköl.
12-04-2019, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #73074
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a zero alcohol beer that I buy here in the UK (though I believe it's made in Holland) called "Bavaria". It actually tastes like a proper "lite" lager beer, albeit without any of the alcohol flavour or sensation. It's a pretty nice drink to have with barbecue meats, or just on a warm summer afternoon in the garden. I actually prefer it to some alcoholic lagers. I keep some in the fridge year round in case my cousin visits, as he comes by car. He likes it too
I drink zero alcohol beer, too. Sometimes I want the taste but not the alcohol. Some of them are hard to distinguish from light lagers, at least if you don't taste them consecutively. You know, like "if you squint it's hard to tell that Canon from a real camera".
12-04-2019, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #73075
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why, thank you.

Thank you very much.
You're welcome, sir.
12-04-2019, 04:46 AM   #73076
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Lättöl, and they also have what they call Mällanöl which is maximum 2.8% alcohol (I think) and has very little taste. At least it did the last time I tried - but then non-alcoholic beers have become a lot better over the last 10 years or so, so maybe the mällanöl has improved as well. I'll never find out

Btw, to get proper beer in Sweden you ask for stärköl.
I drink zero alcohol beer, too. Sometimes I want the taste but not the alcohol. Some of them are hard to distinguish from light lagers, at least if you don't taste them consecutively. You know, like "if you squint it's hard to tell that Canon from a real camera".
I remember the first couple of non-alcoholic beers to appear in this country, a couple of decades ago (or more)... Kaliber was one, Clausthaler (I think) was the second. Both had an awful metallic taste to them - they really weren't at all enjoyable. The modern ones are generally pretty decent, though. Becks and Bavaria are the most common here, and cheap - around GBP £1.50 - £1.60 per litre. But there are smaller craft breweries doing some even better non-alcoholic or extremely-low (0.5%) alcohol beers - BrewDog and Open Gate (the latter now owned by Guinness, I believe). The craft beers are considerably more expensive... around £3.50 per litre, which is more than many alcoholic beers. That sits uncomfortably with me, given that alcoholic beer prices include tax...
12-04-2019, 05:10 AM   #73077
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Clausthaler
That one is still pretty awful, I think.

Of the bigger Norwegian breweries ("big" in a small context) I prefer the non-alcoholic beer from Aas - that's two a's and one s, not the other way around

Looks like the price is around £2 - £2.50 per litre for the "cheap" ones. Fits well with the general price difference between here and the UK, I guess.
12-04-2019, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #73078
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I do drink the occasional beer, I never really developed a taste for it or any other alcoholic beverage for that matter. Chocolate milkshakes are another matter. Root beer floats are good too. Not much of a coffee drinker either. Just don't care much for hot drinks and as offensive as this may be to our members of the British Commonwealth this includes tea.

Fond of orange juice and other fruit juices. Favorite summer drink is 2/3 lemonade and 1/3 orange juice. Royal Crown cola is better than Coke or Pepsi too.
12-04-2019, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #73079
Veteran Member

My favorite beer after summertime yard (garden) work was Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.
"Weiss beer with natural lemonade flavor"
My oldest son favors wheat beers.

12-04-2019, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #73080
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Royal Crown cola
Give me a RC and a moon pie please.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »