Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2020, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #76291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I got gassed once, not nice. It was a chlorine compound which ships as liquid and becomes gas when mixed with water. When I got it a bottle had fallen from a truck and the council street cleaner drove by spraying water in the centre of Adelaide. It was used as a soil fumigant in market gardens. In WWI it was used in gas attacks because it would get through the gas masks, induce vomiting, and removal of the gas mask, so the real gas could take its toll. The Germans fired shells containing both the water and the chlorine compound. On landing they ruptured and mixed the liquids.
The worst I've had is self-inflicted bear spray.

Still would not recommend.

03-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #76292
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Indeed. Now in this particular action, it was cavalry on infantry. In those times, if infantry could hold their ground, often in a square formation, they could fire a volley at cavalry, and rotating fire between ranks could be kept up as well. Even once the volleys were completed or ammunition depleted, the cavalry could still not break the square with the sharp bayonets sticking up at them. Lancers were more challenging however, as they could reach the soldiers with the lances, but they were not as effective weapons as they would be when used at speed. It was vital that the square not be broken, because if it was, cavalry could enter and then all would be dead. In the case of this particular action, a square was not formed as there were not enough soldiers, and the thin line of only two ranks (instead of the typical 3 or 4) was enough to deter the Russian cavalry.

Now the Charge of the Light Brigade, a famous action from the same battle, was of (British) Cavalry against (Russian) artillery. The famous poem captures some of the horror and hopelessness:

The wars in those eras were definitely full of senseless killing. But more modern wars were just so as well.
War is Hell.

Ancient or modern.

War is Hell.

I like the idea of placing a flag and a bottle of spirits better.

Reminds me of a scene in a war movie I saw once (cannot recall the title though) where an American soldier and Japanese soldier are stuck together, alone. Neither speaking the language of the other, they cannot communicate verbally.

So instead of trying to kill each other they get drunk on sake.
03-21-2020, 02:43 PM - 3 Likes   #76293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Such a barbaric way to do battle. Line up in rows and shoot at the enemy, taking turns shooting, stepping back to reload, then stepping forward to shoot again, provided one has tolerance to rifle ball wounds.

Uff da!
I recommend you read some of the "Sharpe" books by Bernhard Cornwall, while based on fictional characters they very nicely describe the tactics of the time. While the British would advance by company in wide columns with two or three rows behind them, the French would advance in columns of three or more abreast and a long gaggle behind them. This meant that the British could stop and fire, and in doing so everyone in the company could fire forwards towards the enemy. The French on the other hand could only return fire from the three or so on the front of the column until they had stopped and reorganised themselves.

The British were also very well trained and could fire off more rounds per man in a set period than the French. Again the Sharpe books describe the process of loading a musket quickly, and there was at least one video of someone tap loading a musket to allow four rounds per minute could be achieved.

03-21-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #76294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Reminds me of a scene in a war movie I saw once (cannot recall the title though) where an American soldier and Japanese soldier are stuck together, alone. Neither speaking the language of the other, they cannot communicate verbally.

So instead of trying to kill each other they get drunk on sake.
A quick search finds "Hell in the Pacific", which sounds interesting and now added to my list.

One of my favourite war movies is "Into the White" where an English aircrew and German aircrew crash land in the Norwegian wilderness and must survive together in a little cabin. Very good movie in my opinion, as at the end of the day both sides are just human, no real differences.

03-21-2020, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #76295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I recommend you read some of the "Sharpe" books by Bernhard Cornwall, while based on fictional characters they very nicely describe the tactics of the time. While the British would advance by company in wide columns with two or three rows behind them, the French would advance in columns of three or more abreast and a long gaggle behind them. This meant that the British could stop and fire, and in doing so everyone in the company could fire forwards towards the enemy. The French on the other hand could only return fire from the three or so on the front of the column until they had stopped and reorganised themselves.

The British were also very well trained and could fire off more rounds per man in a set period than the French. Again the Sharpe books describe the process of loading a musket quickly, and there was at least one video of someone tap loading a musket to allow four rounds per minute could be achieved.
Ah yes. Probably my favourite book series out there. And enough material to keep you entertained for a long self-isolation at 24 books. I read them in chronological order (rather than publication), and my only fault with the series is that it's too good, and you get left wanting more when you've read them all. Bernard Cornwell is an excellent author, and his works are fairly historically accurate, and he includes notes with his books explaining differences in his works and history.
03-21-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #76296
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote

Flintlock Musket: Napoleonic tap loading - fiction and fact - YouTube
The Lanchester equations tell you who should win that one.

The British 15 rpm was based on experience of the southern African campaigns of the late 19th century and bonus pay for achieving the skill.
03-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #76297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One of my favourite war movies is "Into the White" where an English aircrew and German aircrew crash land in the Norwegian wilderness and must survive together in a little cabin. Very good movie in my opinion, as at the end of the day both sides are just human, no real differences.
On Amazon UK, and Prime if you have it

03-21-2020, 05:48 PM - 4 Likes   #76298
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The hell with war, we want more BACON!
Cherry wood smoked bacon that is.

03-21-2020, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #76299
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Anyone know a genteel, civilised manner to wage war? That would be unusual; a first, even.
Maybe..............
...... All the generals lined up from all sides in a room ......... do the fighting .. whoever exits the room....has won the war..... All the populus are informed and life goes on.......................If only

Dave
03-22-2020, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #76300
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The hell with war, we want more BACON!
Cherry wood smoked bacon that is.

Nice Bob! What's your recipe? (And method?)
03-22-2020, 01:55 AM - 2 Likes   #76301
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Took my mom to visit Annabelle and Justyn today. Figured we might go see them before things get worse and everything gets locked down.
Attached Images

03-22-2020, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #76302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Maybe..............
...... All the generals lined up from all sides in a room ......... do the fighting .. whoever exits the room....has won the war..... All the populus are informed and life goes on.......................If only
You wouldn’t include those who give orders to the generals? Some would think that sloppy practice.
03-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #76303
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
You wouldn’t include those who give orders to the generals? Some would think that sloppy practice.
Its only sloppy if they dont follow the result.......
......Maybe only merit gets you the top job
03-22-2020, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #76304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice Bob! What's your recipe? (And method?)
Thanks Mark!
Here's my method, but I doubt you can get the Morton's product. A proper mix of pink curing salt and salt works just as well.

1 level Tablespoon of Morton's Tender Quick for each pound of pork belly.
Rub it evenly on the meat.
Add brown sugar, and/or spices, if you would like.
Place it in a plastic bag.
Put it in the fridge for 7 days, turning each day.
Day 7, rinse very well in cool water, pat dry, put on a cookie cooling rack, place in the fridge uncovered for a day, or at least several hours.
Cool smoke to around 145/F degrees internal.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Took my mom to visit Annabelle and Justyn today.
Mom looks great!
Hardly recognized you without your lycra suit.
03-22-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #76305
Veteran Member

The Instacart groceries never did come, but we have a slot tomorrow afternoon for a few things from Walmart's pick up service. Limited choices found and a limit of 2 for everything it seems.
Apparently hoarders aren't buying Choice boneless rib roasts, won't know until we get it what it weighs, if we do get one I plan to cut it into steaks.