Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #76321
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Geez....I haven't heard 'Uff da !' since I used to spend my complete summers down in Northern Minnesota when I was a kid in the late '50's, early '60's . Are you by any chance from Northern Minnesota, North Dakota ? Back then and down there...(remember I'm from up there...being a Canuck)...Uff Da's were as common as 'ehs' in the Western Canadian prairies.

Les
It has been used here reasonably often, more so for a period a couple of years back.

03-22-2020, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #76322
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks like a post whore.
Bob? The thought never crossed my mind...
03-22-2020, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #76323
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You mean the other Bob.
Maybe I do, maybe I don't.
03-22-2020, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #76324
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't think we would such fools as to leave good alcohol just lying around.
Nope, makes sense. A good alternative if they run out of Canadian Club is to leave some First Watch. I tasted some once. I still can't get over how someone can put a "Whisky" label on a bottle of paint stripper

03-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #76325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never understood the liking for whisky of any variety. A friend bought me a "good" single malt to celebrate the end of his degree exams and it put me off the stuff for life. I had another taste recently and it only confirmed that lifelong aversion to the stuff. As far as I go it's all paintstripper, however much others might like it. Blechhhh!
03-22-2020, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #76326
Veteran Member

Are you accusing me? I never post lots. Never.

Oh.

You mean the other Bob.

Yep, he posts way too much.
Take it easy Bob II, I'm pretty sure he means The Thread's leading poster, Racer Bob.
03-22-2020, 01:29 PM - 5 Likes   #76327
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I've never understood the liking for whisky of any variety. A friend bought me a "good" single malt to celebrate the end of his degree exams and it put me off the stuff for life. I had another taste recently and it only confirmed that lifelong aversion to the stuff. As far as I go it's all paintstripper, however much others might like it. Blechhhh!
There's no right and wrong when it comes to taste. But you're wrong

03-22-2020, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #76328
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Take it easy Bob II, I'm pretty sure he means The Thread's leading poster, Racer Bob.
Racer Bob - a.k.a Bobsleigh?

03-22-2020, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #76329
Veteran Member

Whatever you say Bob.
03-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #76330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thank you Bob! I'll see what I can get and will give it a go.
If you find pink curing salt be sure it's Number 1, intended for meats that will get cooked.
Number 2 is for curing things like summer sausage, etc, things not getting cooked.
Search for the ratio of cure agent to weight of meat, the ratio is very important.
It's colored pink to not be confused with ordinary salt.
How to Use Pink Salt for Curing Meat
03-22-2020, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #76331
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend bought me a "good" single malt to celebrate the end of his degree exams and it put me off the stuff for life.
I like scotch. There are those, however, who drink it because it's trendy or they think they should like it. It's easy to tell a true scotch drinker from a wannabe; give them a dram of one of the Islay malts such as Lagavulin, Ardbeg(my favorite), Laphroaig, etc., and watch their reaction.
03-22-2020, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #76332
Pentaxian

Are you sure you are Scottish?

03-22-2020, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #76333
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I like scotch. There are those, however, who drink it because it's trendy or they think they should like it. It's easy to tell a true scotch drinker from a wannabe; give them a dram of one of the Islay malts such as Lagavulin, Ardbeg(my favorite), Laphroaig, etc., and watch their reaction.
Had a bit of Laphroaig last evening.

Very nice.
03-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #76334
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
If you find pink curing salt be sure it's Number 1, intended for meats that will get cooked.
Number 2 is for curing things like summer sausage, etc, things not getting cooked.
Search for the ratio of cure agent to weight of meat, the ratio is very important.
You sure it isn't Himalayan salt?

Himalayan salt - Wikipedia
03-22-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #76335
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. The difference, I read is that No.1 is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% table salt, where No.2 is 6.25% sodium nitrite, 4% sodium nitrate (NaNO3), and 89.75% table salt. NaNO3 is not that good for you.

I have, in the past, for curing meat, used table salt and potassium nitrate (KNO3) also known as saltpetre, but I understand that's not that good for one either.