Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2020, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #76486
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote

Can't say Munich is affordable either, though.
In common, Melbourne 1956, Munich 1972, and Sydney 2000, all hosted the Olympics. Still paying the mortgage.

03-27-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #76487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In common, Melbourne 1956, Munich 1972, and Sydney 2000, all hosted the Olympics. Still paying the mortgage.
It really is time to have a few strategically placed Olympic parks around the world. Brazil may never recover from their Olympics. There are several places on the web where you can see the deterioration of the venues. Some only six months after the games.

About 10 years ago some resourceful people from the village of Avon, NY pitched a plan for the Olympics to be held in western New York State.. They had figured out that between the colleges and high schools facilities scattered between Buffalo and Rochester. NY they already had first class facilities to stage the games. Only only a few facilities needed like a bicycle racing track. Since it was summer, plenty of empty college dorm rooms to house the athletes and spectators too.

It was a pretty common sense approach with no extensive gifting of committee officials so they were not given a look. As an exercise on how to think outside the box and do it at a relatively low cost it proved that you could host the games without bankrupting your country in the process.
03-27-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #76488
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
It really is time to have a few strategically placed Olympic parks around the world. Brazil may never recover from their Olympics. There are several places on the web where you can see the deterioration of the venues. Some only six months after the games.
Yes, it's very expensive.

Calgary has refused to host again, as it would be too much to upgrade the facilities.

It would make sense to have several places they could host it, and rotate through them on a schedule.
03-27-2020, 01:25 PM - 4 Likes   #76489
Veteran Member

Today it's 80 F after several gloomy, rainy days in the 40's.
So I decided to get my weenie out and roast it.

03-27-2020, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #76490
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Today it's 80 F after several gloomy, rainy days in the 40's.
So I decided to get my weenie out and roast it.

I'm planning to roast some weenies shortly too. Fairly short weenies. Looks a bit like yours.
03-27-2020, 05:06 PM - 3 Likes   #76491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm planning to roast some weenies shortly too. Fairly short weenies. .
Wrap them in lycra buns, it'll make 'em look bigger.
03-27-2020, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #76492
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wrap them in lycra buns, it'll make 'em look bigger.
Lycra improves anyone's weeny!

03-27-2020, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #76493
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a bit of a storm over here. I have had to resort to indoor cooking. Sorry Bob!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
03-27-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #76494
Veteran Member

We have a bit of a storm over here. I have had to resort to indoor cooking. Sorry Bob!
You still got some nice grill marks on your little weenies.
Raining here too, but not before I got a half chicken grilled.
03-27-2020, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #76495
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You still got some nice grill marks on your little weenies.
Raining here too, but not before I got a half chicken grilled.
Artificial grill marks. They make the sausages like that. Cheating!!!
03-27-2020, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #76496
Pentaxian

They sure look different than the weenies we have in Western Canada.
03-27-2020, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #76497
Veteran Member

So as a POM, what exactly is the difference between a "weenie" and a "wiener"?

They appear to be very similar to bangers or snorkers......
03-27-2020, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #76498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
They appear to be very similar to bangers or snorkers......
and a sanger and a snag?
03-28-2020, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #76499
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Full circle...cool to here the term cluster as I worked on the original...VAXcluster
I spent nights at my uni computer centre coding on VAXs, but they weren't clustered back then.

BTW, Windows these days is a direct ancestor of VAX VMS.

Very good book on its development - 'Showstopper' by G. Pascal Zachary.
03-28-2020, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #76500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

About 10 years ago some resourceful people from the village of Avon, NY pitched a plan for the Olympics to be held in western New York State.. They had figured out that between the colleges and high schools facilities scattered between Buffalo and Rochester. NY they already had first class facilities to stage the games. Only only a few facilities needed like a bicycle racing track. Since it was summer, plenty of empty college dorm rooms to house the athletes and spectators too.

It was a pretty common sense approach with no extensive gifting of committee officials so they were not given a look. As an exercise on how to think outside the box and do it at a relatively low cost it proved that you could host the games without bankrupting your country in the process.
I am finding some entertainment in how worked up some people are getting about sports cancellations and the business impact on the leagues. We really do need to get back to sports being about health and fitness and local clubs, who play in local leagues and at the end of the year the local winners have a national championship. And do it all on a financial scale that local clubs are competitive.

Quite entertaining how the soccer people here want to cancel the current season because it could not be finished. So no promotion or relegation of soccer businesses between the leagues because it would not be fair. I think it would be better to work out the winners and losers based on the current league table, still not ideal, and if they whinge about being relegated they should just answer “you should have hired a coach who would try harder to win at the beginning of the season “.