Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #76576
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like bikes, but most of ‘em don’t like me anymore... Carpal tunnel plus nerve damage at the C7/T1 foraminera (ulnar nerve) makes most handlebar designs intolerable. Which sucks.

03-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #76577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I like bikes, motorized or not.

I don't judge.

Just ride.
I should of mentioned that I have a 'hockey knee' from playing 9 years as a defenceman. I've had an operation on my knee, but as a result....bicycle riding, sitting in seats (ie; driving) is not easy (pain) unless I can straighten my leg out partially or completely. Getting old and hockey injuries limit me in certain areas.
03-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #76578
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Had a number of former colleagues who were into competitive road cycling, and at one point the office discussion for round to falling off the bike and a phenomenon known as "gravel rash". There was much debate over whether legs should be hairless (these are all male by the way) to reduce the potential clean up after such an incident. One colleague confessed to shaving his legs, another used a depilatory cream he "borrowed" from his wife.

He did confess that he had an issue the first time though, he'd applied the cream and then wen tout shopping with his wife, and about half an hour later complained to her that it was rather warm and starting to sting, which made her ask "you did wash it off, didn't you"? There was a classic "huh?" moment, followed by a short spell in the closest Gents toilets as he tried to wash the cream off his legs in the sink.
Gravel rash is a pain whether hairy or not. I'm lucky in that I'm not very hairy to start with. I've lost skin in two bicycle crashes, one worse than the other. Not enjoyable. I also had a motorcycle crash many years back when an idiot motorist claimed he "did not see me" even though it was the 80's and I was wearing primary colour clothing and the bike's light was on and I was travelling well under the speed limit. Maybe that was my mistake - not going fast enough.
03-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #76579
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I like bikes, but most of ‘em don’t like me anymore... Carpal tunnel plus nerve damage at the C7/T1 foraminera (ulnar nerve) makes most handlebar designs intolerable. Which sucks.
Sounds nasty Jim. Have you tried good quality cycling gloves? Many better gloves are specifically designed to reduce pressure to the ulnar nerve.

03-30-2020, 10:27 PM   #76580
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I should of mentioned that I have a 'hockey knee' from playing 9 years as a defenceman. I've had an operation on my knee, but as a result....bicycle riding, sitting in seats (ie; driving) is not easy (pain) unless I can straighten my leg out partially or completely. Getting old and hockey injuries limit me in certain areas.
I can relate, although not in the knees.

My feet are better now after multiple corrective surgeries, but still not as good as new.

It has been ten or eleven years since the left hip replacement, and it is certainly better than before. But I still get periodic pain in the femur, where the stem is inserted. I get extreme pain there periodically, such that it can drop me to my knees. The surgeon can't explain it, and only says I should have no pain there.

I can't even go bowling. The windup is impossible as when my weight comes down on the left leg, the pain is so brutal that I cannot support myself and fall.

I've lost count of all the times I have injured my spine, the first being in my teens, a lumbar injury that resulted in a couple ruptured discs. I re-injure that area now and again.

Mostly I think I just aggravate it. Like today, I worked on one of my tractors most of the day.

And my low back hurts some.

I also injured my cervical spine as a teen, in high school. The only part of phys ed classes I enjoyed was when we got to do things on the parallel bars, horse, springboard, and trampoline. And one day I was doing somersaults on the trampoline, and had been doing triples. As I attempted to execute another, I made it only two and a half times, landing on the back of my head, hyper extending my neck. I bounced off of the trampoline and onto the mat, out cold before I landed. I woke to the whole class standing around, looking down at me. The coach asked if I was OK, I muttered something and was asked to get up. After I got up the coach sent me to the school nurse. She called my mom, who picked me up and took me to the Navy hospital. They gave me Valium and sent me home.

These days when I rotate my head the cervical bones grind and rumble, and I hear it through the bones of my skull.

And it hurts now and then.

In the mid 1980's I was cutting firewood in local forest, some maple. Trying to save time I cut the logs into 8 foot lengths, and was flipping them into the back of my pickup. I got under the end of one, and pushed up from a squat, quite vigorously, and not only felt, but heard two thoracic vertebrae crush. I finished loading the tuck, loaded my saw and fuel, drove home, unloaded the truck, and was getting ready for work (I worked second shift then and always went wood cutting in the morning before work) when the pain got real bad, and I decided to stop at the doctor's office on the way to work.

They took some x-rays, and the doctor gave me two choices,

A back board and full body traction for 6 weeks, or go home and lie on a sheet of plywood for six weeks.

I chose the latter.

Of course at the time I didn't own a television. So on the way home I stopped at Sears and bought a TV, to be delivered, then stopped at Viacom, the local cable TV business at the time and ordered cable television.

Then I went to the pharmacy and picked up the pain pills the doctor prescribed, and went home to get the plywood bed ready.

The next day the TV arrived, and the cable guy showed up and I was set.

So my mid back bothers me sometimes too.

But not today.

Just that low back soreness I mentioned.

I decided a few years ago that I was no longer going to let the pain of a lifetime of playing and working hard interfere with life.

So I don't .

Mostly I ignore it.
03-30-2020, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #76581
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sounds nasty Jim. Have you tried good quality cycling gloves? Many better gloves are specifically designed to reduce pressure to the ulnar nerve.
Yes, I have tried some. Ones with gel padding on the palm were best, but I can still only go for much shorter rides than I used to. The most effective thing is basically sit upright as I can and put as little actual weight on the hands as possible.

Tried a recumbent bike a few times, but my reflexes just don’t want to adjust to the way they handle. Pretty comical to watch, though...
03-31-2020, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #76582
Pentaxian

I can relate, although not in the knees.

My feet are better now after multiple corrective surgeries, but still not as good as new.

It has been ten or eleven years since the left hip replacement, and it is certainly better than before. But I still get periodic pain in the femur, where the stem is inserted. I get extreme pain there periodically, such that it can drop me to my knees. The surgeon can't explain it, and only says I should have no pain there.

I can't even go bowling. The windup is impossible as when my weight comes down on the left leg, the pain is so brutal that I cannot support myself and fall.

I've lost count of all the times I have injured my spine, the first being in my teens, a lumbar injury that resulted in a couple ruptured discs. I re-injure that area now and again.

Mostly I think I just aggravate it. Like today, I worked on one of my tractors most of the day.

And my low back hurts some.

I also injured my cervical spine as a teen, in high school. The only part of phys ed classes I enjoyed was when we got to do things on the parallel bars, horse, springboard, and trampoline. And one day I was doing somersaults on the trampoline, and had been doing triples. As I attempted to execute another, I made it only two and a half times, landing on the back of my head, hyper extending my neck. I bounced off of the trampoline and onto the mat, out cold before I landed. I woke to the whole class standing around, looking down at me. The coach asked if I was OK, I muttered something and was asked to get up. After I got up the coach sent me to the school nurse. She called my mom, who picked me up and took me to the Navy hospital. They gave me Valium and sent me home.

These days when I rotate my head the cervical bones grind and rumble, and I hear it through the bones of my skull.

And it hurts now and then.

In the mid 1980's I was cutting firewood in local forest, some maple. Trying to save time I cut the logs into 8 foot lengths, and was flipping them into the back of my pickup. I got under the end of one, and pushed up from a squat, quite vigorously, and not only felt, but heard two thoracic vertebrae crush. I finished loading the tuck, loaded my saw and fuel, drove home, unloaded the truck, and was getting ready for work (I worked second shift then and always went wood cutting in the morning before work) when the pain got real bad, and I decided to stop at the doctor's office on the way to work.

They took some x-rays, and the doctor gave me two choices,

A back board and full body traction for 6 weeks, or go home and lie on a sheet of plywood for six weeks.

I chose the latter.

Of course at the time I didn't own a television. So on the way home I stopped at Sears and bought a TV, to be delivered, then stopped at Viacom, the local cable TV business at the time and ordered cable television.

Then I went to the pharmacy and picked up the pain pills the doctor prescribed, and went home to get the plywood bed ready.

The next day the TV arrived, and the cable guy showed up and I was set.

So my mid back bothers me sometimes too.

But not today.

Just that low back soreness I mentioned.

I decided a few years ago that I was no longer going to let the pain of a lifetime of playing and working hard interfere with life.

So I don't .

Mostly I ignore it.
Quite right, and being an old geezer I know what you mean.

I....like many of us.... could fill a page or so with my various injuries and ailments.. Aches, pains, injuries, operations are all part of living.

The best advice I ever got in how to deal with all that, was a couple of things my dad said to me many years ago when I was young.

'When you fall off the horse get right back on it ' and ' never give up'.

03-31-2020, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #76583
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remind me to not come here when I have a major arthritis flareup like I have had for the last few days.
Let's get back to makin' some bacon please.
03-31-2020, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #76584
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I can relate,
Racer, your list is similar to mine.
If we were horses we'd have been shot a long time ago.
03-31-2020, 06:12 AM - 4 Likes   #76585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Darth produced! Used chunks of hardwood this time with the usual hardwood charcoal which brought the temp easily up to 550F. Charcoal alone takes too long.
Attached Images

03-31-2020, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #76586
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Darth produced! Used chunks of hardwood this time with the usual hardwood charcoal which brought the temp easily up to 550F. Charcoal alone takes too long.
Good looking pies Chuck!
03-31-2020, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #76587
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Silly me I thought Darth was your sxs waiting to get ..well....muddy.

Pity we can't teleport yet........ I'm getting hungry...... and those pizzas look ..great.

BACON

Dave
03-31-2020, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #76588
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Remind me to not come here when I have a major arthritis flareup like I have had for the last few days.
Remember this, Bob.

VVVV -------- VVVV
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
'When you fall off the horse get right back on it ' and ' never give up'.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Racer, your list is similar to mine.
If we were horses we'd have been shot a long time ago.
Think we'd make good glue?
03-31-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #76589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Good looking pies Chuck!
Thanks Bob. Getting the oven to 550 makes all the difference in cooking them properly; 7 minutes and they are done!
03-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #76590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Silly me I thought Darth was your sxs waiting to get ..well....muddy.

Pity we can't teleport yet........ I'm getting hungry...... and those pizzas look ..great.

BACON

Dave
Hey Dave. Nah, the wife nicknamed the oven "Darth Smoker" cus with the cover on, it looked like Darth standing on the back deck.

The SxS is Wilma....Wilma the Wolverine. And it will be coming out of hibernation soon too!