Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2020, 12:28 PM - 4 Likes   #76681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
And then there is the question of what to call French fried potato chips. Back in the '50's and before, French fries were invariably known as chips in Canada. No doubt due to the significant percent of Brits and those who have British background in Canada. But then by the end of the '60's the more common terms.... fries or French fries ...started to dominate.
Now I would say the term ...fries...has won out.
Perhaps in your neck of the woods. They’re still chips here, and anyone asking for “a fish and french fries for two, please” will receive mocking laughter and rough handling, aye they will!

04-04-2020, 12:51 PM - 4 Likes   #76682
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have done a lot of things to earn a living. 14 years in the military, milked cows, grown mushrooms commercially, police officer, owned a bike shop for just shy of 20 years.
I notice neither chef, or even short order cook, is on your list.
No surprises there.

Last edited by robtcorl; 04-04-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added neither
04-04-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #76683
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

And then there is the question of what to call French fried potato chips. Back in the '50's and before, French fries were invariably known as chips in Canada. No doubt due to the significant percent of Brits and those who have British background in Canada. But then by the end of the '60's the more common terms.... fries or French fries ...started to dominate.
Now I would say the term ...fries...has won out.

Always interesting to me to see how language...words.... change...and the reasons why....over a brief time (50-50 years) in history. Our world is always evolving .
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Perhaps in your neck of the woods. They’re still chips here, and anyone asking for “a fish and french fries for two, please” will receive mocking laughter and rough handling, aye they will!
The big question is, is poutine made with French fries or chips?
04-04-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #76684
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny thing about different kinds of bacon...are what they're called in different countries. I like the type of bacon that we Canucks call back bacon.

But our neighbours to the south in the U.S.A. ...call, what Canadians call back bacon, ...'Canadian bacon'.
Peameal.

It's gotta be peameal, eh?

04-04-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #76685
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I notice chef, or even short order cook, is on your list.
No surprises there.
That's why he parboils.
04-04-2020, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #76686
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Peameal.

It's gotta be peameal, eh?
I had to look that one up, I did not know what peameal was.... ...and me.... who worked a couple of summers in a meatpacking plant !

Of course I worked in the cold storage shipping department and the sausage kitchen. The fact that I worked in the sausage kitchen may lead some to think that I was responsible for determining sausage recipes, maybe even figuring out how to cure bacon with peameal, etc...but no, all I had to offer the company was a strong back and in return they gave me a 22.5 pound stainless steel shovel with which to shovel sausage fixin's from out of a big stainless steel cart, into an industrial hopper that fed the ingredients into a sausage making machine...which about 8 people packaged into boxes for store shelves.

It was hard to keep up...as they had that assembly lined cranked to 'high'. I felt like Charlie Chaplin in his movie...Modern Times.

That was 50-51 years ago...but I still have the sore back muscles to remember that period in my life.

---------- Post added 04-04-20 at 04:03 PM ----------

My neck of the woods is the prairies and we don't see much fish and French fries or fish and chips...but when we do, it is referred to as fish and chips as with you.

Until you just mentioned it, I never thought about that ...as to why out here (prairies) do we call it chips when it is fish and chips, but with a burger or a hot dog...it's fries or French fries ?

BTW, we have a thriving commercial fishery on Lake Winnipeg (10th largest freshwater lake in the world) and Lake Manitoba...but most of the catch is Walleye (we used to call it pickerel out here), Whitefish and Goldeye and a lot of the catch is processed here, then shipped to other markets, outside of the province.

That's another conundrum...why did we in Manitoba call a Walleye a pickerel...in fact many still do...when it is a Walleye.

I'm afraid your answer has opened up more questions .

Les
04-04-2020, 02:21 PM - 4 Likes   #76687
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's another conundrum...why did we in Manitoba call a Walleye a pickerel...in fact many still do...when it is a Walleye.
English is an odd language, isn't it?
Why do we get asteroids in the hemisphere but get hemorrhoids in, well, nevermind......................

04-04-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #76688
Pentaxian

English is an odd language, isn't it?
Why do we get asteroids in the hemisphere but get hemorrhoids in, well, nevermind......................
That is a good one and one I don't know the answer to. If you don't mind, I will incorporate it as one of my 'lines'...and without any credit to you, though !

Les
04-04-2020, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #76689
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Feel free. After all,I stole it from somebody.
04-05-2020, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #76690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My neck of the woods is the prairies ...
Then you may know the answer to that old puzzle - why are the coyotes always howling??
04-05-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #76691
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

why are the coyotes always howling??
Because they can't meow?
04-05-2020, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #76692
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well, yes, you don't want lead poisoning down there, do you.
And, seriously, I have heard studies that showed partners of metal machinists had higher risk of certain cancers because of residues from the fingers by that pathway.
04-05-2020, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #76693
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mark would ask for “fush and chups”, or at least his countrymen do.
04-05-2020, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #76694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because they can't meow?
Tsk, tsk, no indeed! Try again...
04-05-2020, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #76695
Veteran Member

Then you may know the answer to that old puzzle - why are the coyotes always howling??
To communicate.