Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #78031
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
That brought back a well hidden, unpleasant, memory waiting on prints to take into the field.
I did run a few myself.
It will wake you up quick.

05-16-2020, 04:07 PM - 3 Likes   #78032
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That sounds more like a government operation than a for profit enterprise.
I have been making that observation since long before it was my workplace. It is obvious even from the outside. Having spent 30 years working in public service at the PUD I know bureaucracy. And it changed to be much more so about the time the logo last changed.

The crew I worked on at the first job, building up the upper trailing edge of the wing in the wing majors tool, was actively engaged in continuous process improvement as a daily part of the build. We had a short weekly meeting to discuss ongoing improvement items, and consider any new ones, and address any implementation issues. In our small way, we improved efficiencies, reduced or eliminated rework, reduced waste and consumption of consumables, ultimately reducing the cost of production.

Most crews do this, as it is part of the BPS* directives.

The culture in manufacturing began to change around 1980, when the focus on CQI** began. about the time the 767 was rolled out the employee involvement idea came along, and EI*** Teams were formed.

Other things like first pass quality grew out of this. The goal is to finish the product with first pass quality, and if there are things preventing that, everyone involved collaborates and looks for solutions.

In the 1990's the concept of lean manufacturing was emerging, not just in aerospace, but all manufacturing.

Statistical process control.

Just in time.

Variability reduction.

Hardware variability control.

Boeing studied the Toyota Production System, and has adopted it, integrating the ideology into the BPS.

This new assignment is a step above the crew level process I think. They are allocating restrained but significant resources for this. It looks like they put some thought into the people selected for it too. I have confidence in it. It will work.

*Boeing Production System which directs and guides the manufacturing and production of Boeing products.

**Continuous Quality Improvement

***Employee Involvement Teams
05-16-2020, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #78033
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

It was sent to me as a trial after I picked up an AutoCad 2002 seat. I figured out how to disable the 60 day trial so I could have time to learn it, and set about pretending I knew how to be an architect (Civil engineering was my forte, and we didn't have computers and CAD software. Did everything with pencils, vellum, mylar and technical pens. Oh, and the trusty HP33c reverse polish notation programmable calculator.).
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
also pumice powder, can't forget that.
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I remember using razors or scalpel blades to do erasures. Great care was needed to avoid holes in the drawing medium.
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
The small company I worked for made the leap to ACAD in 1988. Ran on an IBM Pc with floppy disk drives, input was through a tablet and stylus. We bought a large pen plotter to make hard copies. Once you sent a drawing to the plotter, you could go for a coffee break and come back before the drawing was done.
It seems nearly all of us in this thread have been drafting for years! I made the leap from pencils and pens to AutoCAD in 1995. Took a week off work and went and did a course to get myself up and running quickly.
First to AutoCAD LT, by 2002 I'd gone to the full version. I still have several sets of Rotring drafting pens. Can't get rid of them or the many stencils.
05-16-2020, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #78034
Veteran Member

Don't know about drafting, but I did a spell in technical publications a while back. This was the late 90's, but to them "cut and paste" meant taking the printed master sheet, cutting out the words you wanted to change and pasting new words in their place.

I demonstrated MS Word to the department heads, and showed how I could produce a three word amendment in two hours (had to set up the page from scratch) rather than wait three days for the master sheet to be delivered from remote storage. You would have thought I'd just invented fire the way some of them looked at me, it was witchcraft I tell you!

05-16-2020, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #78035
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Beats the fragrant aroma of ammonia from the diazo machine.
It sure does.. Last year I was exploring an abandoned tungsten mine in Nevada and came across a rusty old blue line machine. Just seeing it brought back that wonderful ammonia fragrance.
05-16-2020, 09:50 PM - 4 Likes   #78036
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
It sure does.. Last year I was exploring an abandoned tungsten mine in Nevada and came across a rusty old blue line machine. Just seeing it brought back that wonderful ammonia fragrance.
Funny the memories smells bring back.
05-16-2020, 11:39 PM - 4 Likes   #78037
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Funny the memories smells bring back.
Quite true.

A few years ago, a long time buddy and I were at a car show. There were a couple of '60's VW Type 1 ( der Beetle), air cooled automobiles there, and my friend poked his head through the open driver's window to check out the accumulated mileage via the odometer.

He turned to me and said...'stick your head in and take a whiff'...which I did.

He then asked me for my response and I replied...smells just like my first car....which was a '61 VW deluxe. Odd thing is that both our respective 'whiffs' triggered other memories, of all the adventures we had had back in the late '60's in that old V-Dub. Memories that go back 50 + years.

Thinking of all those long ago memories...made two old men very happy that summer evening.

05-17-2020, 12:11 AM - 4 Likes   #78038
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Quite true.

A few years ago, a long time buddy and I were at a car show. There were a couple of '60's VW Type 1 ( der Beetle), air cooled automobiles there, and my friend poked his head through the open driver's window to check out the accumulated mileage via the odometer.

He turned to me and said...'stick your head in and take a whiff'...which I did.

He then asked me for my response and I replied...smells just like my first car....which was a '61 VW deluxe. Odd thing is that both our respective 'whiffs' triggered other memories, of all the adventures we had had back in the late '60's in that old V-Dub. Memories that go back 50 + years.

Thinking of all those long ago memories...made two old men very happy that summer evening.
For a moment I through you said "all the adventures we had in the back of the V-dub"

Don't mind me.
05-17-2020, 04:15 AM - 4 Likes   #78039
Pentaxian

Lesmore, you reminded me of the second time I went to Taiwan after an absence of 3 years. I could have been anywhere until I got a whiff of the gases rising from the drain gratings beside the road. Instantly I felt at home in my home away from home.

The other one I learned there was the smell of smelly tofu. It must be experienced to understand. That stuff tastes good even though the smell puts you off a bit.
05-17-2020, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #78040
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Don't know about drafting, but I did a spell in technical publications a while back. This was the late 90's, but to them "cut and paste" meant taking the printed master sheet, cutting out the words you wanted to change and pasting new words in their place.

I demonstrated MS Word to the department heads, and showed how I could produce a three word amendment in two hours (had to set up the page from scratch) rather than wait three days for the master sheet to be delivered from remote storage. You would have thought I'd just invented fire the way some of them looked at me, it was witchcraft I tell you!
I haven't used MicroSoft Office products for about 15 years or so. I found Open Office.

Free.

Open source.

Free.

Does everything MicroSoft Office does.

For free.

No more constant updating and upgrading, at significant costs.

Did I mention it is free?
05-17-2020, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #78041
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, maybe our English or Australian friends can help here.

Is gypsy spelled with an "E" over there?

05-17-2020, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #78042
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't used MicroSoft Office products for about 15 years or so. I found Open Office.

Free.

Open source.

Free.

For free.

That sounds like a good substitute for Office.

How much does it cost?
05-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #78043
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That sounds like a good substitute for Office.

How much does it cost?
Nothing more than disc space and some time.

Fuhree!!!!
05-17-2020, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #78044
dbs
Pentaxian

By the way, maybe our English or Australian friends can help here.

Is gypsy spelled with an "E" over there?

Of course not Racer it is and always will be a y
05-17-2020, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #78045
Veteran Member

Free.

Open source.

Free.

For free.

I have trouble paying for software. Everything I use is open source. (Though LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice - but they're pretty much the same).

How are you getting on with the Ubuntu?