Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2020, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #78346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

D’oh!

05-26-2020, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #78347
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Meanwhile, last June at Thruxton.

Mini Miglia epic race at Thruxton BTCC 2019 - YouTube

Awesome race.

They were throwing those little things around the track, weren't they?
Yes they were...........
........but fun to watch.....

Dave
05-26-2020, 12:45 AM - 2 Likes   #78348
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

English is challenged only by Spanish as the dominant language of the World.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Um, not quite.
French and Arabic (in that order) are # 2 & 3.

List of languages by the number of countries in which they are recognized as an official language - Wikipedia

Not all that many years ago (that's a relative term. I'm old, remember.) French was the official language of more countries than any other.
There is also a difference between official language and the de facto lingua franca (excuse my Latin). English is, by far, the biggest second language. I believe about 2/3rds of the ~1.5 Bn English speakers have another language as their first language.

EF English Proficiency Index - Wikipedia

Out of quriosity I tried to find the English Proficiency Index for the US (which isn't on the list, presumably because all US citizens speak English, right?), and it seems 8% of the US population is an LEP - Limited English Proficient. I suspect that many of those considered LEP would still be seen as proficient by the criteria used in the English Proficiency Index above, though. Just a guess, I didn't try to find out.

The Limited English Proficient Population in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

Guess I was going from memory of an older statistic.

Wouldn't know it around here though, the Spanish speaking population has exploded over the last 50 years. Mount Vernon and Monroe are known as "Little Mexico".
According to Wikipedia there are about 58 million native Spanish speakers in the US (2016). That's quite a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
At our age it's best not to rely on memory.

My memory used to be very good. After I left Uni and started working, though...

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It gets worse, kids.
Hey, Sunshine. I know the downhill slope gets increasingly steep. No need to remind me.

Umm...

Yet.
05-26-2020, 01:05 AM - 3 Likes   #78349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
... and it seems 8% of the US population is an LEP - Limited English Proficient.
Yeah, no, teenagers are, like, more than that. Some adults, bigly.

05-26-2020, 01:06 AM   #78350
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Jokkis

These cars look more posh, though.

05-26-2020, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #78351
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Yeah, no, teenagers are, like, more than that. Some adults, bigly.

Judging from what's on the Intarwebs I'd say the LEP factor is quite a bit higher than 8%
05-26-2020, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #78352
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at Racer's minis race, that brought up this fun compilation on Youtube:

05-26-2020, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #78353
dbs
Pentaxian

That you tube boy does it send you on a journey you weren't expecting....
.... and well I tend to watch the Racer inspired clips.............. oh well

Dave
05-26-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #78354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You tell me I talk funny, now?

History and linguistics based on archæological anthropology - sounds interesting. Do tell me if it's worth acquiring.
It does go into some depth into the areas as indicated by the title. The author is David W. Anthony, professor of anthropology at Hartwick College and the book was published by the Princeton University Press in 2007.

I like it. It does take a scholarly approach, has a not insignificant bibliography, etc. I have a history background and over the years (decades) have read a variety of books in areas of pure history, archeology, political science, etc. I'm hesitant to recommend books, for as my wife points out I have fairly esoteric tastes that might not appeal to others.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...-2_P8TnIcA6kYM

In the recent past, I've been impressed that historical studies seem to have a more open and multi disciplinary approach...including areas of archeology, different sciences and other specialties. Also what seems to me a rapid development of technology ...ground penetrating radar devices and other electronic devices often from other fields, which are being successfully employed in archeological search areas.

As a result, much more information, artifacts have been discovered and analysis and review of these finds seems to come at an ever increasing rate. I also do find a broadening of considered subject material, used to look at historical questions from different perspectives, angles and this book is one, through its examination of history from an analysis of language, the horse and the wheel and those connections. I do think we're in a bit of a golden era as far as history, archeology are concerned.

If you like that kind of stuff, you could find it interesting.

Les
05-26-2020, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #78355
Veteran Member

It's raining so hard here I can't hear myself think...
05-26-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #78356
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It does go into some depth into the areas as indicated by the title. The author is David W. Anthony, professor of anthropology at Hartwick College and the book was published by the Princeton University Press in 2007.

I like it. It does take a scholarly approach, has a not insignificant bibliography, etc. I have a history background and over the years (decades) have read a variety of books in areas of pure history, archeology, political science, etc. I'm hesitant to recommend books, for as my wife points out I have fairly esoteric tastes that might not appeal to others.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...-2_P8TnIcA6kYM

In the recent past, I've been impressed that historical studies seem to have a more open and multi disciplinary approach...including areas of archeology, different sciences and other specialties. Also what seems to me a rapid development of technology ...ground penetrating radar devices and other electronic devices often from other fields, which are being successfully employed in archeological search areas.

As a result, much more information, artifacts have been discovered and analysis and review of these finds seems to come at an ever increasing rate. I also do find a broadening of considered subject material, used to look at historical questions from different perspectives, angles and this book is one, through its examination of history from an analysis of language, the horse and the wheel and those connections. I do think we're in a bit of a golden era as far as history, archeology are concerned.

If you like that kind of stuff, you could find it interesting.

Les
Thanks, sounds good. And yes, I think more and more researchers realise that they have to span multiple disciplines to uncover more knowledge. It is more common now to see broader teams working together covering multiple fields, and utilising new tools and technologies.

I agree on your reluctance on recommending books. My wife and I both like reading, but rarely like the same books. "This is really good - but you probably won't like it"
05-26-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #78357
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
05-26-2020, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #78358
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

05-26-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #78359
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No forking manure today, eh?
05-26-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #78360
Pentaxian

Back in Australia I had a friend who did not talk to many of my other friends but always to me. Often our opening line of conversation was “have you read a good book recently?”