Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations indeed.

06-03-2020, 04:01 PM - 4 Likes   #78527
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh yeah, and a word of advice for those who like adding fuel to the fire - pay attention to exactly what kind of fuel you add.

I would have posted this over in the Doom&Gloom section, but I suspect the flames wouldn't be big enough to be noticed
Reminds me of the clever bugger in the Army with me who decided one night to steal some petrol for his motorbike:

So, he sneaks into one of the old aircraft hangers (our one military base was a 2nd World War Airforce base, repurposed after the war for the Army as supplies stores) with several Landrovers and a few Bedford trucks, gets himself a length of hose and a container of some sorts and syphons out some petrol from one of the vehicles, all this in the dark. Decides he better check how full his container is so he lights his lighter to look in the container......

This goes as well as can be expected and the container, the hose and the Landrover's petrol tank catches alight almost simultaniously. Our hero hoofs it from the hangar missing a bit of skin and hair. Fire spreads from the Landrover to the other Landrovers and Bedfords and a part of the hanger goes up in flames.

I do wonder what became of the guy.
06-03-2020, 04:25 PM - 6 Likes   #78528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is one way to stop a Landrover leaking oil.

In other news, my immigrant ancestors came out from Scotland on the good ship India. Two crew members were decanting rum below decks when some was spilt: it was a bad mistake to drop a candle at that stage. Result: India burnt to the waterline, 13 lives lost. Obviously the Grants were not among the lost.
06-03-2020, 05:09 PM - 3 Likes   #78529
Veteran Member

06-03-2020, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #78530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Speaking of Cameron, this just happened -

Catherine Cameron Underland
8lb. 11oz.
22.5” [Edited]
16:43 in Tacoma Park, MD and we are stuck at home.
Grandchild #3, and first Child for daughter #2.
Congratulations, I suppose.
06-03-2020, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #78531
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That sounds a bit glum. Did a bear beat you to the outhouse this morning?
06-03-2020, 05:27 PM - 3 Likes   #78532
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My son went to College of Wooster in Canton, OH.That tartan Is essentially their logo. Many of them wear a kilt in McLeod for formal school events. The Marching Band wears full dress, including pipes. My son wore his Battle Cameron tartan on these school occasions instead.

On the subject of Cameron, read the next post!!
My current kilt (which I wear when piping, and I did for school occasions too) is a Cameron of Erracht tartan - no clan relation, but I like the tartan and I found it relatively cheap in a second hand store in Glasgow. It's an old Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders kilt. Well made, very heavy weight wool, and lots of material in the pleats. It's in great shape, especially at 54 years old - stamped May 1966 inside.

06-03-2020, 05:34 PM - 5 Likes   #78533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That sounds a bit glum. Did a bear beat you to the outhouse this morning?
My current kilt (which I wear when piping
Sounds to me like you're skirting Mark's question.
06-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #78534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Sounds to me like you're skirting Mark's question.
06-03-2020, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #78535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Did a bear beat you to the outhouse this morning?
Outhouse? Round this part of the woods, we have indoor toilets. Though it's not much more than a hole in the floor. Composting toilet.
06-03-2020, 06:02 PM - 3 Likes   #78536
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well made, .... and lots of material in the pleats. It's in great shape, especially at 54 years old - stamped May 1966 inside.
For a moment there, I thought you we're describing me. Although, I'm closer to March '66 and no stamp.
06-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #78537
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Outhouse? Round this part of the woods, we have indoor toilets. Though it's not much more than a hole in the floor. Composting toilet.
It doesn't flush the waste away to a septic tank?
06-03-2020, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #78538
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It doesn't flush the waste away to a septic tank?
Nope. Into a big blue tank in the basement. We throw in wood chips, and the liquid is pumped out (which goes out to a mulch pit), and it's mixed around in there.
Then the lower half is emptied every two years or so, and it's not smelly work, as it's pretty close to soil at that point.
06-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #78539
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. Into a big blue tank in the basement. We throw in wood chips, and the liquid is pumped out (which goes out to a mulch pit), and it's mixed around in there.
Then the lower half is emptied every two years or so, and it's not smelly work, as it's pretty close to soil at that point.
I know a few people with composting toitets. It's a bit more of an "ick" factor than septic tanks but, in truth, they do seem to work well and are a good low cost option.
06-03-2020, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #78540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My current kilt (which I wear when piping, and I did for school occasions too) is a Cameron of Erracht tartan - no clan relation, but I like the tartan and I found it relatively cheap in a second hand store in Glasgow. It's an old Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders kilt. Well made, very heavy weight wool, and lots of material in the pleats. It's in great shape, especially at 54 years old - stamped May 1966 inside.
I like that tartan and I have their tie but bad form to wear in England. I don’t even try to wear a kilt - way to English.