Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #78976
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I always have to look up the Khoisan clicks as I never remember what's what of the different letters !, /, ǁ, ǂ, etc - and they're not the same in e.g. Nama and !Kung It's much easier with Xhosa and Zulu, but then they have slightly fewer variations - and combinations!

A quick'n'easy intro

KhoeKhoegowab Lesson No:1 - YouTube
I've been making sounds like that for years, especially the second one.

Guess I have been speaking Khoisan all my life and didn't even know it.

06-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #78977
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In summer I can get a bit over 50 in my car, but in winter that decreases to about 40.

Before you said something about diesel working better at higher temperature.

So what I don't understand is why in winter the fuel and input air are not both pre-warmed by the exhaust heat of the engine to get them to summer temperature in order to improve efficiency - which in turn must help emissions.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The difference in mileage Summer to Winter Is mostly due to the thickening of the various lubricants involved; bearing grease, differential lube, transmission fluid in automatics and the oil in manual trannys.
I know this is an extreme example but in extremely cold climates such as the interior of Alaska where I spent 4 years you actually had to change to lighter trans, differential, and transfer case lubes. (this was before the advent of synthetics.) One year I didn't get it done soon enough and the truck would not move. I had to have it towed to a shop for them warm it up inside for a day and change the transmission and diff lube to a winter weight.
In addition. diesel is blended differently for the winter to reduce gelling of the fuel. As a result the cetane (the equivalent to octane in gasoline) level is lower, which results in lower fuel economy.
06-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #78978
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
In addition. diesel is blended differently for the winter to reduce gelling of the fuel. As a result the cetane (the equivalent to octane in gasoline) level is lower, which results in lower fuel economy.
Yeah, tell me about it! I prefer to run straight #1 in the winter to avoid gelling, but at about 2/3 the fuel mileage, and spotty availability, I've been sticking with a blend and a liberal addition of Power Service.
I've only gelled twice. Once many years ago running straight #2, and once just a few years ago when I used Howe's instead of Power Service.
Howe's. No gelling guaranteed my *%^#$!
06-23-2020, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #78979
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, tell me about it! I prefer to run straight #1 in the winter to avoid gelling, but at about 2/3 the fuel mileage, and spotty availability, I've been sticking with a blend and a liberal addition of Power Service.
I've only gelled twice. Once many years ago running straight #2, and once just a few years ago when I used Howe's instead of Power Service.
Howe's. No gelling guaranteed my *%^#$!
When I drove big trucks, the carrier I drove for, SPD, loaded the drivers up with Howes in the winter to use in the fuel. I dutifully dumped a gallon in at every fillup of 300 gallons (daily). Never had gelling, not even when I ran up to Winterpeg, Manitoba in -50° F.

But I rarely shut the engine off in the winter, so I suppose that the unused fuel getting returned to the fuel tank warms it up, reducing the chance of gelling.

06-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #78980
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Before you said something about diesel working better at higher temperature.
I may have said when fuels are warm they atomize better, resulting in better fuel economy.

But.

When fuels are cold, they become more dense, resulting in more power output from the engine.
06-23-2020, 06:03 PM - 3 Likes   #78981
Pentaxian

When I drove big trucks, the carrier I drove for, SPD, loaded the drivers up with Howes in the winter to use in the fuel. I dutifully dumped a gallon in at every fillup of 300 gallons (daily). Never had gelling, not even when I ran up to Winterpeg, Manitoba in -50° F.

But I rarely shut the engine off in the winter, so I suppose that the unused fuel getting returned to the fuel tank warms it up, reducing the chance of gelling.
If something will start and run in Winterpeg in the dead of winter, it will run anywhere. We had a back door for our house. I recall one day it was -42 and I opened the door and the hinges snapped as they were brittle from extreme cold. The local hardware store told me to call the 1 -800 # to the door manufacturing company in Idaho (If memory serves me correct) to inquire regarding warranty.

The guy at the company said we never heard of that happening . Just how cold did it get ? I told him, it was -42 last night, when the hinges snapped. He replied hmmmn...well it doesn't get that cold here and then asked...where are you phoning from ? I said...Winnipeg. He replied...oh, ok...go to the store you got it from and I'll make arrangements to get you a new door.

06-23-2020, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #78982
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If something will start and run in Winterpeg in the dead of winter, it will run anywhere. We had a back door for our house. I recall one day it was -42 and I opened the door........
I'd hate to live in Winnipeg without a back door. Or without a front door for that matter!

06-23-2020, 06:21 PM - 3 Likes   #78983
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

-42? Pffft.
That's 25 degrees warmer than what I have experienced just South of Fairbanks.
I will admit though, -67F was unusual. It rarely got colder than -60.
06-23-2020, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #78984
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd hate to live in Winnipeg without a back door. Or without a front door for that matter!
Many houses in Winnipeg have two back doors....and two front doors. The outside door is called the storm door...the inside door is the regular door. I'm sure many houses in many parts of Canada, the USA, etc...have two doors, but let me tell you...an outside storm door earns it's keep out here.

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 08:45 PM ----------

-42? Pffft.
I bow to, and doff my fur lined trappers hat to those in Fairbanks....By the sounds of it Winnipeg is more like Miami when compared to the frightful cold (and I mean that in a good way) temps experienced in Fairbanks.
06-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #78985
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
By the sounds of it Winnipeg is more like Miami....
There's a sentence you don't hear often.

I visited Winnipeg in early spring. Well, it was early spring in the rest of Canada. Winnipeg was still in the dead of winter! Mind you, Regina was pretty grim too.
06-23-2020, 10:07 PM   #78986
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Originally posted by lesmore49*
By the sounds of it Winnipeg is more like Miami....
There's a sentence you don't hear often.
06-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #78987
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The difference in mileage Summer to Winter Is mostly due to the thickening of the various lubricants involved; bearing grease, differential lube, transmission fluid in automatics and the oil in manual trannys.
I know this is an extreme example but in extremely cold climates such as the interior of Alaska where I spent 4 years you actually had to change to lighter trans, differential, and transfer case lubes. (this was before the advent of synthetics.) One year I didn't get it done soon enough and the truck would not move. I had to have it towed to a shop for them warm it up inside for a day and change the transmission and diff lube to a winter weight.
So then circulate the cooling system excess heat to those components to warm them once the first few miles of warm up driving have happened instead of just dumping the heat to radiator.
06-24-2020, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #78988
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

34?

Not fantastic?

My first car did real well at around 10.

The first heavy trucks I drove got 2 to 3.

34 is awesome.
Nah, my old Mitsubishi sipped 5L/100km - about 47 mpg. I'd expect a small-ish diesel to do better than that 20 years later.

The tiny Renault Zoe manages about 15kWh/100km (under ideal conditions - I'd think 20kWh is more realistic), so I guess the "fuel" cost is about 1/5th of the old 'bishi.
06-24-2020, 02:27 AM - 3 Likes   #78989
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Quick, yes. Easy? Not so much...
Sure it's easy. Even a child can do it

It's just as hard or easy as any other sound we're not used to. In Norwegian we don't have the 'th' sounds in "this" and "thought", and adult learners will often struggle with learning those and may say "dis tought" instead. (Old Norse did have the 'th' sounds - represented by ð and þ - but they went out of use about 600 years ago.)

Likewise, most English speakers struggle with the 'kj' (/x/) sound when learning Norwegian.

The clicks take a bit of practice - especially to incorporate them in words - but they're certainly possible to learn.

I used this one to learn the postalveolar clicks
06-24-2020, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #78990
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

-42? Pffft.
Sorry, but there is no way I can "like" this

I'd take 40°C over -40°C any day.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »