Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #78991
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
In Norwegian we don't have the 'th' sounds in "this" and "thought", and adult learners will often struggle with learning those and may say "dis tought" instead.
It's da same way in large parts of Minnesota, Nort and Sout Dakata as well.

06-24-2020, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #78992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So then circulate the cooling system excess heat to those components to warm them once the first few miles of warm up driving have happened instead of just dumping the heat to radiator.
My Yamaha Exciter II snowmobile had that option. You could direct hot coolant through the carb to keep it from icing up.
06-24-2020, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #78993
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's da same way in large parts of Minnesota, Nort and Sout Dakata as well.
Oh, and ve don't differentiate betveen v and w either.
06-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #78994
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
My Yamaha Exciter II snowmobile had that option. You could direct hot coolant through the carb to keep it from icing up.
Sort of like my Primus gas cooker, then. Pre-heating the gas enables turning the canister upside down. Essential for winter use, or you would just burn off the propane while leaving the liquid butane/isobutane behind.

06-24-2020, 06:55 AM   #78995
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sort of like my Primus gas cooker, then. Pre-heating the gas enables turning the canister upside down. Essential for winter use, or you would just burn off the propane while leaving the liquid butane/isobutane behind.
My MSR Whisperlite International (multi-fuel) is the same, it uses the flame to heat the fuel thereby vaporizing it under any conditions.
06-24-2020, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #78996
Pentaxian

Oh, and ve don't differentiate betveen v and w either.

My first vehicle was a Czechoslovakian made Jawa motorcycle. I pronounced it as the word appeared....Jawa. However I noticed that some , particularly those from certain parts of Europe pronounced it ....Java.

When I got my first car I was 18. It was a used '61 Volkswagen. I pronounced it Volks ...wagon. Some, particularly those born in certain parts of Europe pronounced it ...Volks ...vah...gun...from what I recall. This was a long time ago so my memory maybe slightly off .

Aside from pronunciation , my first 4 vehicles were all made within about 300 or so miles of each other. Three motorcycles...one was a Jawa, two were CZ's also made in Czechoslovakia and my '61 VW....Wolfsburg, Germany. Which considering I lived in the Canadian prairies was unusual. At that time mostly people had American vehicles out here.
06-24-2020, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #78997
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure it's easy. Even a child can do it

It's just as hard or easy as any other sound we're not used to. In Norwegian we don't have the 'th' sounds in "this" and "thought", and adult learners will often struggle with learning those and may say "dis tought" instead. (Old Norse did have the 'th' sounds - represented by ð and þ - but they went out of use about 600 years ago.)

Likewise, most English speakers struggle with the 'kj' (/x/) sound when learning Norwegian.

The clicks take a bit of practice - especially to incorporate them in words - but they're certainly possible to learn.

I used this one to learn the postalveolar clicks
YouTube
So easy a child can do it, true enough - but my brain ain't a child anymore. I'd say it's so easy *only* child could do it. <grin>

06-24-2020, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #78998
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My first vehicle was a Czechoslovakian made Jawa motorcycle. I pronounced it as the word appeared....Jawa. However I noticed that some , particularly those from certain parts of Europe pronounced it ....Java.

When I got my first car I was 18. It was a used '61 Volkswagen. I pronounced it Volks ...wagon. Some, particularly those born in certain parts of Europe pronounced it ...Volks ...vah...gun...from what I recall. This was a long time ago so my memory maybe slightly off .

Aside from pronunciation , my first 4 vehicles were all made within about 300 or so miles of each other. Three motorcycles...one was a Jawa, two were CZ's also made in Czechoslovakia and my '61 VW....Wolfsburg, Germany. Which considering I lived in the Canadian prairies was unusual. At that time mostly people had American vehicles out here.
After living in Switzerland for a while, many words took on a different pronunciation. Wagner became Vahgnuh and not WAG-Nur ...and my friend Beat was not beet but Beh-ATT...oh, and for some reason, I have always said Rah-Thuh instead of Raa-thur when saying rather...maybe my Mom's English english?
06-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #78999
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure it's easy. Even a child can do it

It's just as hard or easy as any other sound we're not used to. In Norwegian we don't have the 'th' sounds in "this" and "thought", and adult learners will often struggle with learning those and may say "dis tought" instead. (Old Norse did have the 'th' sounds - represented by ð and þ - but they went out of use about 600 years ago.)

Likewise, most English speakers struggle with the 'kj' (/x/) sound when learning Norwegian.

The clicks take a bit of practice - especially to incorporate them in words - but they're certainly possible to learn.

I used this one to learn the postalveolar clicks
YouTube
I was always amazed in German class when some folks refused to change their idea of vowel sounds for the German language and maintained the "American" sound to everything they read. For me, Bahnhof was an easy one, BAWNhoff....others....BAN-HOFF. Oh well. The Swiss German dialect had some really difficult throat action going on. A Swiss friend of mine tried to teach me their "Kitchen Cupboard" word...lots of spitting and hacking in that one!
06-24-2020, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #79000
Veteran Member

My MSR Whisperlite International (multi-fuel) is the same, it uses the flame to heat the fuel thereby vaporizing it under any conditions.
It can also burn pretty much anything you throw at it. Great stove.
06-24-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #79001
Pentaxian

After living in Switzerland for a while, many words took on a different pronunciation. Wagner became Vahgnuh and not WAG-Nur ...and my friend Beat was not beet but Beh-ATT...oh, and for some reason, I have always said Rah-Thuh instead of Raa-thur when saying rather...maybe my Mom's English english?
I wouldn't be surprised if you got your...Rah...Thuh...from your Mom's English. I had a high school buddy in the '60's and he, while born in Canada, did pronounce some of his words his mother's way...she was a war bride (WW2) from London. Another guy in our class was born in Germany, grew up in Switzerland and his pronunciation was similar to what you indicated.
06-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #79002
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, the Whisperlite is popular here, too. The Gravity can use petrol, too, but I'll have to use a different nozzle. Not very practical - I guess I'll rather get a separate petrol stove if I should need one. For now I'm doing fine with the gas stove. With a proper mix with a sufficient amount of propane and isobutane it works in temperatures well below what I venture out in anyway
06-24-2020, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #79003
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Yes, in most of Europe the w is pronounced as the English v, and in e.g. German and Dutch the v is pronounced like an English f.

If you add to that that the z is pronounced like an s in Norwegian and 'ts' in German, while in German an s before a vowel is pronounced like an English z... well, no wonder people can get confused.
06-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #79004
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It can also burn pretty much anything you throw at it. Great stove.
I'd have thought you were more of a camp fire kind of guy.

Or maybe a foldable twig burning stove kind of guy. I've ordered a cheap knock-off of this Firebox to test the concept.

06-24-2020, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #79005
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, the Whisperlite is popular here, too. The Gravity can use petrol, too, but I'll have to use a different nozzle. Not very practical - I guess I'll rather get a separate petrol stove if I should need one. For now I'm doing fine with the gas stove. With a proper mix with a sufficient amount of propane and isobutane it works in temperatures well below what I venture out in anyway
I ended up buying the Whisperlite after my stove at the time, a Bleuet Micro Plus, running on Propane/Butane, failed me while winter camping. Luckily a friend camping with us had a Whisperlite...I fell in love. I also own an MSR Dragonfly which can simmer (very difficult to do with the Whisperlite) but sounds like a 747 taking off.