Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2020, 01:05 AM - 4 Likes   #79111
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Bratwurst needs to be cooked.
Preferably over hot coals resulting from burning fruitwoods.

A wild cherry tree was laying across my driveway, out by the mailbox, when I headed out for work Friday morning. I noticed it in the darkness at 3:50 am, when it is quite dark here in the country, having no streetlights. Trees and other objects in places one wouldn't ordinarily expect to see them don't appear right when illuminated by headlights. I didn't see it until I was almost there, but as luck would have it, I chose to drive Eddie Bauer to The Little shed.

So I just drove under it and continued to work.

When my day on the airplane was done I drove back to the Rancho by the River and dealt with the obstruction. Got the Sthil 028AV out, and turned that old cherry tree into firewood.

Firewood to make the hot coals that will be grilling the brats next weekend.

I still have a few of these left, so they will likely be used to wash the brats down.

Then after sunset, fireworks!

06-28-2020, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #79112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Got the Sthil 028AV out, and turned that old cherry tree into firewood.

Firewood to make the hot coals that will be grilling the brats next weekend.
Hmm. You don’t bung that firewood straight into a wood burning stove, do you? I can just imagine the condition of a flue from burning unseasoned firewood of any variety. Oh tarry horrors!
06-28-2020, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #79113
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
"Hotdogs"! - in my (limited, 'cause, I grant, I avoid them at all costs!) experience, basically THE most tasteless "culinary (NOT!) creation" I ever had the misfortune to encounter unless one loads them with some form of ketchup and mustard, and, even then, I still really HATE them (as I do "Swedish (not meat!) meatballs")

NB: haven't we "been here" before on "several" occasions?

OTOH, I am a bit of a fan of "Continental" sausages, and so regularly buy chorizo, salami and the like
Bratwurst isn't a hot dog, but sausage, seasoned, and raw. It requires careful preparation to get the perfect balance between doneness of the meat, and light golden crispness of the casing.

Never pierce one while grilling. A flaming fire will result, and ruin them.
06-28-2020, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #79114
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Hmm. You don’t bung that firewood straight into a wood burning stove, do you? I can just imagine the condition of a flue from burning unseasoned firewood of any variety. Oh tarry horrors!
Firepit.

Made from one half of a rock crusher cone used in a quarry to make crushed rock and gravel.

The wood is from a tree that is mostly dead, seasoned while standing, so it is nice and dry, with little rot (the rot is what caused it to fall). There is enough to fill the firepit 2 or 3 times. It should make a nice big fire, and burn down to a decent bed of coals, perfect for sitting around with skewers and cooking the brats.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-28-2020 at 12:25 PM.
06-28-2020, 06:00 AM - 4 Likes   #79115
Veteran Member

I gotta say, sometimes this thread reminds me of this:

06-28-2020, 07:05 AM - 5 Likes   #79116
Veteran Member

06-28-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #79117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The wood is from a tree that is mostly dead, seasoned while standing, so it is nice and dry, with little rot
That should be good, unlike the guy who complained his newly installed stove and flue was rubbish. His firewood, and kindling, was from a tree which fell eight years previously and had lain in the woods since. You could hear it all sizzling like bacon as the firelighters struggled to light it. The installers chuckled a lot when he was out of earshot, but I’ll bet his flue needs thorough sweeping by now.

06-28-2020, 11:11 AM - 4 Likes   #79118
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, well, the original text states quite clearly that it's the packing that is exempt, not the distribution. The second version, the one abusing semicolons, exempt distribution, too. I think

06-28-2020, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #79119
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be right over Bob.

Any preference for beer?
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yes.
Cold.
Reminds me of my first visit to East Africa. Getting a beer in a bar in one of the smaller towns or villages would typically go something like:
- A beer please.
- Cold beer?
- Uh, yes, please...

They asked because we were obviously from out of town. The locals had mostly grown up without fridges and were used to - and preferred - "warm" beer. As I remember it was also sometimes cheaper to buy the unchilled one.

Fast learners as we were we soon started ordering cold beers right away
06-28-2020, 11:28 AM - 5 Likes   #79120
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Reminds me of my first visit to East Africa. Getting a beer in a bar in one of the smaller towns or villages would typically go something like:
- A beer please.
- Cold beer?
- Uh, yes, please...

They asked because we were obviously from out of town. The locals had mostly grown up without fridges and were used to - and preferred - "warm" beer. As I remember it was also sometimes cheaper to buy the unchilled one.

Fast learners as we were we soon started ordering cold beers right away
Like the English, who drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators.
06-28-2020, 11:41 AM - 3 Likes   #79121
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

True, and these countries have been "fortunate" enough to have been British colonies. So that might be a factor, too.

From "Asterix in Britain"

06-28-2020, 12:31 PM - 3 Likes   #79122
Pentaxian

Many who have had or have English vehicles*....like yours truly.....have experience with the 'electric's acting up in said vehicles.

The reference....Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness....also comes to mind.

* I have an older English motorcycle (Matchless) and rode another older English motorcycle (Triumph T140) a fair amount ....so I know of what I speak.
06-28-2020, 01:05 PM - 3 Likes   #79123
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Saturday Mrs. Racer 2.0 and I went for a drive to scout an area we are considering for the move after I retire next year. Earlier searches were around Longview, Kelso and Kalama, between Vancouver (WA) and Centralia, both East and West of Interstate 5.

Yesterday's excursion was along the Columbia River Gorge, on the Washington side, along State Route 14 East from Vancouver. We immediately discounted Camas and Washougal, as those areas are far too developed now. The most attractive area was at the West side of Skamania county, then East along the river through Cape Horn, Skamania, Beacon Rock, North Bonneville, Stevenson, Carson, Home Valley, Underwood, White Salmon and Bingen (the last tow are actually in Klickitat county). The hills above the riverbank offer spectacular views, and Mrs. Racer 2.0 wants a home with a view.

Hood River is across the river from the Underwood/White Salmon/Bingen area, and Skamania county is where the wet side of the Cascade Mountains begins to yield to the High Desert of Eastern Washington.

It was a nice drive, about 600 miles round trip. We left home around 8 am, stopped in Woodland to grab some road snacks and a beverage around 10:30 ish, hung out in the Skamania county area for a couple hours, crossed into Oregon on the Hood River Bridge around 2:30, headed West towards Portland on I84 and then back into Washington on I205. Stopped at Columbia Inn (Highly recommended! Celebrities Elvis Presley and Jack Benny would stop there back in the day.) in Kalama for an early dinner around 4:30, and were home by 9 pm.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-28-2020 at 01:11 PM.
06-28-2020, 01:20 PM - 4 Likes   #79124
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Saturday Mrs. Racer 2.0 and I went for a drive to scout an area we are considering for the move after I retire next year. Earlier searches were around Longview, Kelso and Kalama, between Vancouver (WA) and Centralia, both East and West of Interstate 5.

Yesterday's excursion was along the Columbia River Gorge, on the Washington side, along State Route 14 East from Vancouver. We immediately discounted Camas and Washougal, as those areas are far too developed now. The most attractive area was at the West side of Skamania county, then East along the river through Cape Horn, Skamania, Beacon Rock, North Bonneville, Stevenson, Carson, Home Valley, Underwood, White Salmon and Bingen (the last tow are actually in Klickitat county). The hills above the riverbank offer spectacular views, and Mrs. Racer 2.0 wants a home with a view.

Hood River is across the river from the Underwood/White Salmon/Bingen area, and Skamania county is where the wet side of the Cascade Mountains begins to yield to the High Desert of Eastern Washington.

It was a nice drive, about 600 miles round trip. We left home around 8 am, stopped in Woodland to grab some road snacks and a beverage around 10:30 ish, hung out in the Skamania county area for a couple hours, crossed into Oregon on the Hood River Bridge around 2:30, headed West towards Portland on I84 and then back into Washington on I205. Stopped at Columbia Inn (Highly recommended! Celebrities Elvis Presley and Jack Benny would stop there back in the day.) in Kalama for an early dinner around 4:30, and were home by 9 pm.
Photos or it did not happen!
06-28-2020, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #79125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The hills above the riverbank offer spectacular views, and Mrs. Racer 2.0 wants a home with a view.
I've hopped into Google Streetview just now, and boy, that does look beautiful!