Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2020, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #79186
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Property tax.

We pay it too. For 2020 my home and property is assessed by the county assessor at $706,600, tax obligation is $8,330.78, and the rates vary depending on which

agency is getting funded through local levies, fire district, school district, library, county road and other county stuff, state, local conservation district, surface water management, and forest fire management.

The cost of keeping the community operating.
You guys have property taxes, federal taxes and state taxes, right? We have only tax (paid to the goverment) and rates. (paid to the local council)
Taken from your list: (with a few added)
fire district - tax
school district - tax
library - council rates
county road and other county stuff - council rates
conservation - tax
surface water management - rates
forest fire management - tax
added...
most medical, excludes dental for over 18 year olds - tax
national roads - tax
sewerage disposal - rates
garbage collection - rates and/or private contractor
water supply - rates
airports - rates
electricity generation and supply - private companies
gas reticulation - private companies

06-29-2020, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #79187
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You are wrong. About once every 10 years there is a report of snow on Mt Lofty.

The trick to minimize council rates is to live in the most expensive council area (Burnside), in a house which is up to about the average for the council area. That way your rates are about 2000, and you get full services from the council. There were some people in Auldana who lived in the Torrens Valley end of dead end streets that were serviced from Burnside. they were the most expensive houses in their area, and paid 3000-4000 p.a. and their street was not maintained and the rubbish was collected by Burnside under an agreement between the councils.

One reason I left was too many days over 40. Made it too hard to grow my fruit trees.
Hi Tim

You are correct of course, the snow only lasts for a couple of hours depending on sunshine and not enough to ski on.

On rates my current ones per property value are triple what I was paying in Adelaide.
The joys of the country small town.

Dave
06-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #79188
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't get breaks anymore. That's on of the downsides of being retired.
When you do nothing you cant stop and rest.
So you aren't working at you friend's gun store anymore?
06-29-2020, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #79189
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Bratwurst isn't a hot dog, but sausage, seasoned, and raw. It requires careful preparation to get the perfect balance between doneness of the meat, and light golden crispness of the casing.

Never pierce one while grilling. A flaming fire will result, and ruin them.
One more thing.

No boiling.

Ever.

06-29-2020, 05:23 PM - 3 Likes   #79190
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So you aren't working at you friend's gun store anymore?
No, my fun meter pegged out last November. Since then I've been a "gentleman of leisure".
06-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #79191
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
You are correct of course, the snow only lasts for a couple of hours depending on sunshine and not enough to ski on.
And to think you would have me move halfway around the world in hopes I might get some ski runs in.
06-29-2020, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #79192
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And to think you would have me move halfway around the world in hopes I might get some ski runs in.
Hi Racer

Yes I would but not in South Australia where I am but Victoria where the snow fields are.
Google is your friend look up Mt Hotham, Perisher Valley and probably more areas I am not aware of..In general the " High Country ".

Dave

06-29-2020, 05:51 PM - 3 Likes   #79193
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, my fun meter pegged out last November. Since then I've been a "gentleman of leisure".
When I retire next year there are several Datsuns, and a Camaro that are on deck for completion. Also some furniture projects I have planned.

Then there is a matter of a few thousand slides and negatives to go through and digitize.

And a bunch of vinyl to record digitally.

Oh, and some travel.

As if I didn't get enough in when I drove a truck.

Yep, I'll be a man of leisure myself.

Yessir.
06-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #79194
Pentaxian

When I retire next year there are several Datsuns, and a Camaro that are on deck for completion. Also some furniture projects I have planned.

Then there is a matter of a few thousand slides and negatives to go through and digitize.

And a bunch of vinyl to record digitally.

Oh, and some travel.

As if I didn't get enough in when I drove a truck.

Yep, I'll be a man of leisure myself.

Yessir.
What year of Camaro...engine....transmission.....model....etc. ?

I sometimes wish I still had my '67 Camaro coupe, 327 V8, 4 speed, RS. But that particular ship sailed a little over 51 years ago.

I traded it in on a '69 VW Type 1, Deluxe, 4 speed at the V-Dub dealer. I last saw it in February of 1970. I spoke with the driver/ new owner and checked out the odometer. It had a little over 19,000 miles on it, but when I traded it in, it had 41,000 miles on it. I had traded it in ...8 months before.

Hmmmnnn.
06-29-2020, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #79195
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What year of Camaro...engine....transmission.....model....etc. ?
1972 Sport Coupe, Spring Green metallic, black vinyl top, bucket seats, spoiler option.

Bought in 1979 from the second owner, and knew the original owner. A kid on a dirt bike hit me head on in 1980. I fixed it. In 1981 I ran a red light and t-boned a Monte Carlo. Bought it back from the insurance company, got it mostly fixed, but not painted, then discovered first gen Datsun Z cars.

Here it is after the Monte Carlo kiss.

06-29-2020, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #79196
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a few ski runs around here you can try.
06-29-2020, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #79197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We have a few ski runs around here you can try.
I was under the impression that you guys won’t let furriners move down there if they’re older and retired... That you have to have some sort of socio-economic value. Us leisure types ain’t wanted.
06-29-2020, 08:24 PM - 4 Likes   #79198
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I was under the impression that you guys won’t let furriners move down there if they’re older and retired... That you have to have some sort of socio-economic value. Us leisure types ain’t wanted.
We're a bit picky yes.
We'll let you in if you're rich.
06-29-2020, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #79199
Pentaxian

1972 Sport Coupe, Spring Green metallic, black vinyl top, bucket seats, spoiler option.

Bought in 1979 from the second owner, and knew the original owner. A kid on a dirt bike hit me head on in 1980. I fixed it. In 1981 I ran a red light and t-boned a Monte Carlo. Bought it back from the insurance company, got it mostly fixed, but not painted, then discovered first gen Datsun Z cars.

Here it is after the Monte Carlo kiss.

Nice. Very nice.

I recall when that generation of Camaros first came out , as 1970 1/2 models. Two of my buddies bought new ones, both Z-28's, both 4 speeds, both that dark green colour that I used to call British Racing Green...I know it wasn't the GM name ...but thought it was very appropriate for that 2nd gen Z-28.

The 350 cube Z-28 engine had torque, really sounded good, especially with that Muncie gear box with the close ratios. I particularly liked the two small front bumperettes on either side of the Camaro grille...thought the car looked almost Ferrari-esque. Expect that some purists will howl about that view.

When this car came out, it really was a hit with car enthusiasts.

With yours, what are the plans ? Restore to stock, resto mod, nice street car with some extra punch ?
06-30-2020, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #79200
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You guys have property taxes, federal taxes and state taxes, right?
In my state there is no income tax, but we have sales tax.

Some others:

Medical, dental - Employer subsidized, organized labor usually negotiates decent plans for members, non-union employers sometimes provide similar plans, sometimes not.

National roads - fuel taxes mostly.

Sewerage disposal - Usually local municipal agencies. I have a septic tank and drain field.

Garbage collection - Private contractor, and/or municipal agency.

Water supply - Municipal agency.

Airports - Small private airstrips, county airports (municipal), International (I have no idea how they are run, but they are heavily regulated by the FAA.

Electricity generation and supply - Some are private companies (investor owned utilities, or IOU's), some are publicly owned (like the one I worked at for 30 years, Snohomish County PUD - PUD stands for Public Utility District), and Co-ops.

Gas reticulation - Like the IOU's mentioned above, private companies.