06-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #79216
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or coffee.

06-30-2020, 05:39 PM - 3 Likes   #79217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
It took me a while to get used to retirement. (About 4 days) After 50 years of getting by on 5 or 6 hours sleep on weekdays, I woke up early for 4 days, then went back to sleep. Now 8 hours every night no problem. I admit I had plenty of other interest and for years work got in the way of them. I worked until I was 69. Should have quit earlier.
Took me awhile to get used to retirement too, although a bit longer than 4 days.

. I've always slept for only a few hours....3-5 hours per night and that hasn't changed much. Don't know why, but when I asked the doc, he said as long as I'm not tired when I get up...should be ok.
06-30-2020, 05:49 PM - 3 Likes   #79218
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It does look good. Sleek, low and with a hint of mean....but in the good sense of the word 'mean'.

I like this Camaro in the orange, as mentioned before that full look grille with two bumperettes flanking it on either side...that to me, really gives it a bit of a Ferrari look. And speaking of flanking...check out the flanks on that Camaro in your pix...they really stand out...not sure if it's the lighting or....?

Lowering it, as per your picture example, accentuates that performance look . If you're driving it on the street....about the only thing besides bad pavement that could affect it, would be speed bumps in shopping malls. I recall two guys that had really low cars...one a '60's Austin-Healy 3000...used to hit his exhaust pipe/muffler and another guy I knew with a '27 T-body and a 327 Chevy V8...nicely lowered but speed bumps were the scourge of his existence.

As handling would be a priority, I'm guessing that a healthy 350 V8 would be your choice to cut down on extra weight that a big block Chevy Rat motor would add to the front end.

Or...as a lot of guys seem to be doing now, is getting a salvage yard Chevy LS V8...5.3 liter or one of the larger ones. These engines can generate pretty good power...stock and are known to be reliable, although I guess with a modern engine like an LS...there would probably be some electronic computer gimmerky required to mate old and new systems.
Any color is fine with me, except pink.

Here is a Roadster Shop build, they custom made a custom grille opening, and deleted the bumperettes. The car was at SEMA in 2018.

The 2018 SEMA Gran Turismo Awards | Hagerty Media

It began life as a plain Sport Coupe, 350/350 auto.

The complete Roadster Shop build is here: Archives - Roadster Shop Roadster Shop

Lowering does more than create a more muscular look. It drops the center of gravity. Done right, suspension mods are what make a car handle. Unequal length tubular A arms with coil over shocks on the front with the inner hinge points raised a bit. A 4 link rear end with a Ford 9 inch housing and center section, and coil over shocks, also mounted higher in the chassis.

And weight distribution.

I wouldn't shy away from using a big block, just get an aluminum block and heads, and move it back some.

Or an LS6, with an aluminum case 6 speed manual gearbox. The electronics are a cinch with a standalone engine management system that is programmable from a laptop running Windows (Linux too I think). A lot of people are using these engines, in older GM products, and just about everything else. A lot of go fast stuff is available too.

Piece of cake.

The Roadster Shop also built the ultimate second gen Camaro. A lot of time and thought went into the build, and the result is pretty cool. A lot of ideas for me to consider for mine, but also a few things that I would do different.

Before:

After:

Check out the build pics here: Archives - Roadster Shop Roadster Shop

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-30-2020 at 06:05 PM.
06-30-2020, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #79219
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Since Parralax doesn't like bikes maybe he could build a car instead and ......... get away from the tv.

just being helpful

Dave

06-30-2020, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #79220
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I
Hate
Bicycles
!
Then why did you have a bike shop?
06-30-2020, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #79221
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Then why did you have a bike shop?
Different time, different attitude.
06-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #79222
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Different time, different attitude.
I hope that for me, the passion for things mechanical never goes away.

06-30-2020, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #79223
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

And today's cert lab update.

5 of 7 hands on certifications complete.

Tomorrow, the last two until next year.
06-30-2020, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #79224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Any color is fine with me, except pink.

Here is a Roadster Shop build, they custom made a custom grille opening, and deleted the bumperettes. The car was at SEMA in 2018.

The 2018 SEMA Gran Turismo Awards | Hagerty Media

It began life as a plain Sport Coupe, 350/350 auto.

The complete Roadster Shop build is here: Archives - Roadster Shop Roadster Shop

Lowering does more than create a more muscular look. It drops the center of gravity. Done right, suspension mods are what make a car handle. Unequal length tubular A arms with coil over shocks on the front with the inner hinge points raised a bit. A 4 link rear end with a Ford 9 inch housing and center section, and coil over shocks, also mounted higher in the chassis.

And weight distribution.

I wouldn't shy away from using a big block, just get an aluminum block and heads, and move it back some.

Or an LS6, with an aluminum case 6 speed manual gearbox. The electronics are a cinch with a standalone engine management system that is programmable from a laptop running Windows (Linux too I think). A lot of people are using these engines, in older GM products, and just about everything else. A lot of go fast stuff is available too.

Piece of cake.

The Roadster Shop also built the ultimate second gen Camaro. A lot of time and thought went into the build, and the result is pretty cool. A lot of ideas for me to consider for mine, but also a few things that I would do different.

Before:

After:

Check out the build pics here: Archives - Roadster Shop Roadster Shop
Nice examples and that's the thing with first and second generation (my favourite) Camaros...there are a lot of things you can do with them and with Chevy V8 engines...small block, big block and the LS engines ...there is a lot of choice, reasonable cost hop up parts and potential.....some might say (like me, for instance) the sky is the limit.
07-01-2020, 01:36 AM - 3 Likes   #79225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I do love the smell of gun oil first thing in the morning.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Or coffee.
As of this moment I much prefer the latter. A mug of hot steaming gun oil has no appeal, I can’t imagine it any improvement on cod liver (or castor...) oil. No, can’t get my head round that one.
07-01-2020, 02:00 AM - 4 Likes   #79226
Veteran Member

I
Hate
Bicycles
!
07-01-2020, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #79227
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

When you do nothing you cant stop and rest.
Why not? That's my plan for my vacation; do nothing, take a break, then continue where I left off.

Yeah, that's the plan, anyway. Now back to reality...
07-01-2020, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #79228
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

If I'm in the house and not asleep the TV is on.
I'm like that with the radio. The TV... I can't remember when it was last on, several weeks, at least.
07-01-2020, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #79229
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
As of this moment I much prefer the latter. A mug of hot steaming gun oil has no appeal, I can’t imagine it any improvement on cod liver (or castor...) oil. No, can’t get my head round that one.
Ballistol gun oil can be used to clean cuts and scrapes, you can even waterproof leather with it. Coffee does smell (and taste) better,
07-01-2020, 03:33 PM - 5 Likes   #79230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The TV... I can't remember when it was last on, several weeks, at least.
That's un-American, you weirdo.