Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 07:01 AM - 3 Likes   #79381
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

07-12-2020, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #79382
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Even these are weird. Only slightly better, like chewing on a styrofoam coffee cup coated in sugar.
Rice Krispie cakes...or dessert....back in my bachelor days....usually after a hearty supper of Kraft Dinner.
07-12-2020, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #79383
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Those donut sprinkles will get you every time ! That is why I always take my donuts...old fashioned plain.
I love Old Fashioned (known around here as Norwegian Sour Cream) doughnuts. The only thing that compares is a cake doughnut from Wall Drug.
NO SPRINKLES on either. (The broken tooth story really is true)

Last edited by Parallax; 07-12-2020 at 07:23 AM.
07-12-2020, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #79384
Veteran Member

I had been craving donuts, so son, d-i-l, and grandson Bobby brought us donuts for breakfast yesterday morning.
Lots of donuts. I had more for this morning's breakfast.
If only we could harness the energy of a two year old fueled by donuts and chocolate milk!

07-12-2020, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #79385
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I love Old Fashioneds (known around here as Norwegian Sour Cream) doughnuts. The only thing that compares is a cake doughnut from Wall Drug.
NO SPRINKLES on either. (The broken tooth story really is true)
Wall Drugs has great, no make that wonderful plain donuts. When we were there, I overindulged at the store, than continued to overindulge in the car as we traveled on.

Their flavour is reminiscent of a plain donut, an old city chain of restaurants offers in my burg. The restaurant company is Salisbury's. It used to be an kind of an old fashioned diner.

They were established in the early '30's by a guy who named the restaurant after the Salisbury steak. He made hamburgers for 5 cents (1931) and called them nips and also made these plain donuts..... that I occasionally wax eloquent about.

As an aside and in fact.... till McDonald's came up here in the '60's, no one in my area, called a hamburger a hamburger. They called it a 'Nip'. And French fries were called chips. Now that is all gone and it has come to just calling it a burger and fries.

Frankly, I like Nip and chips. But I digress.

I don't know the history of the Wall Drug donut, but I bet it goes back to at least the '30's. Both the Wall and the Salisbury donut taste similar to me, so I wonder if they have a similar, but not the same recipe. Some commonalities from almost a 100 years ago.

I like to think that my love of a good, plain donut is simply not about scarfing it down quickly...but that I also have an academic interest . However I do admit that scarfing it down, will always take precedence over pursuing the history of the donut.

Because that's the way I roll.
07-12-2020, 08:42 AM - 3 Likes   #79386
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Independence Day is an excuse to grill food, drink beer, and blow stuff up. So I do. This year I had electric matches, and a wireless remote control ignition system. It was fun, and with time I should get good at timing the photos with the launches.

The beer.

The stuff blowing up.

Gonna blow up more stuff, either next weekend, or the one after that. The oldest grandson has enlisted in the US Army, and ships out on the 26th. Also, the 6 year anniversary of my time at The Big Shed is the 25th, and I max out (reach the top of the pay scale for my job). So it would be a great time to celebrate some, eh?
07-12-2020, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #79387
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What happened to your bagel? Looks like the roadway striping crew took a few passes over it, and then tried to cover it up with a hydroseeding machine.

I bet they charge an extra $5 for that treatment.
Some sort of mayo, I think. Tasted good, but not very practical for picking up the bagel with one's hands. I had to resort to eating said bagel with a knife and fork, which was slightly weird.

07-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #79388
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I broke a tooth eating Cornutsİ.

I was 17.

Haven't had a Cornutİ since.

I miss Cornutsİ.

Never even got to enjoy Cornutsİ with Beerİ.
You'll need to post a photo of this "Cornut" thing. I've heard of, or have handled all sorts of nuts, but never a "Cornut"!
07-12-2020, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #79389
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Independence Day is an excuse to grill food, drink beer, and blow stuff up. So I do. This year I had electric matches, and a wireless remote control ignition system. It was fun, and with time I should get good at timing the photos with the launches.

The beer.

The stuff blowing up.

Gonna blow up more stuff, either next weekend, or the one after that. The oldest grandson has enlisted in the US Army, and ships out on the 26th. Also, the 6 year anniversary of my time at The Big Shed is the 25th, and I max out (reach the top of the pay scale for my job). So it would be a great time to celebrate some, eh?
Neat shots Racer.
07-12-2020, 02:40 PM - 4 Likes   #79390
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Some sort of mayo, I think.
Remoulade, perhaps?

I've heard of, or have handled all sorts of nuts,
suspicious1
07-12-2020, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #79391
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Remoulade, perhaps?

:suspicious1:
Forgot to add - "And listened to"
07-12-2020, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #79392
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgot to add - "And listened to"
07-12-2020, 04:12 PM - 4 Likes   #79393
Veteran Member

It's Corn Nuts, not Cornuts.
Love 'em, but years since I've had 'em.

07-12-2020, 04:26 PM - 4 Likes   #79394
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Not to be funny, but those things look like a visit to the dentist! And, my dentist can fund his next Cervelo with some other sap's money!
07-12-2020, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #79395
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Sorry, eh?

Been so long I forgot. At least I never had the joy of Corn Nutsİ with Beerİ to forget.