07-12-2020, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #79397
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Remoulade, perhaps?

:suspicious1:
If they called it that it would have been five bucks more.
07-12-2020, 04:50 PM - 3 Likes   #79398
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Not to be funny, but those things look like a visit to the dentist! And, my dentist can fund his next Cervelo with some other sap's money!
I was thinking something similar.
Back in the late 50's, early 60's when skateboards really took off there was an orthopedic surgeon in the San Francisco Bay area that claimed he put his son through college on revenue from skateboard injuries alone. I suspect corn nuts and Laffy Taffy were the dental equivalent of skateboards.
07-12-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #79399
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard of, or have handled all sorts of nuts, but never a "Cornut"!
Left yourself wide open there Mark.

Wide open.

07-12-2020, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #79400
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Left yourself wide open there Mark.

Wide open.
Did you, for a moment, think that my phrasing was not deliberate?
07-12-2020, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #79401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It's Corn Nuts, not Cornuts.
Love 'em, but years since I've had 'em.
Never seen one before. But in my humble opinion a tooth killer if I ever saw one.

The popcorn kernel has been my tooth nemesis throughout my life and so far it's winning 2 to 0. But having never seen or eaten a corn kernel or corn nut, I don't know if they had a hard inner piece as they look like they might.
07-12-2020, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #79402
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was thinking something similar.
Back in the late 50's, early 60's when skateboards really took off there was an orthopedic surgeon in the San Francisco Bay area that claimed he put his son through college on revenue from skateboard injuries alone. I suspect corn nuts and Laffy Taffy were the dental equivalent of skateboards.
Somewhat, obliquely, that reminded me of my wife's gynaecologist in Cape Town, Joe Meiring. Joe spent his days with his hands in tight crevices when he was not doing his day job.
Joe's hobby was doing all the maintenance on his Ferrari himself. So, most lunch times, he'd strip off his office clothes and don his overalls (coveralls in other jurisdictions) and proceed to the parking garage at work where the Ferrari was in some state of dismemberment, usually on axle stands, so as to carry out some or other task that ordinary Ferrari owners tended to leave to other well paid people. Joe was very good at all this fiddly work. I do wonder whether the reboring or piston fitting exercises gave him more pleasure than his day job.

07-12-2020, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #79403
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news, I can today share with you a photo (not my photo) of one of our dear friend Rupert's squirrels. I can't say from the photo if this is the veritable Otis himself, or one of his miscreant friends,
but it is from Rupert's garden, so chances are it's one of "his" squirrels.
Attached Images

07-13-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #79404
Veteran Member

In other news, I can today share with you a photo (not my photo) of one of our dear friend Rupert's squirrels. I can't say from the photo if this is the veritable Otis himself, or one of his miscreant friends,
but it is from Rupert's garden, so chances are it's one of "his" squirrels.
Was this shot pulled from Google Earth?
I finally made out what I think is a squirrel.
07-13-2020, 10:02 AM - 3 Likes   #79405
Veteran Member

In other news ...
In more different news, yours truly let a PhD student drag him into the control arm of the immunological sub-study of our institute's large Covid cohort study, had half his blood drained for all sorts of serological and genetic tests last week, and got a message today that he as 'an interesting IgA and T cell response'. So naturally they want the other half of my blood tomorrow to take a closer look.

And I will get swabbed. I have tortured hundreds of poor patients that way so far, now it's my turn to tango. Yikes.
07-13-2020, 10:14 AM - 3 Likes   #79406
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhat, obliquely, that reminded me of my wife's gynaecologist in Cape Town, Joe Meiring. Joe spent his days with his hands in tight crevices when he was not doing his day job.
Joe's hobby was doing all the maintenance on his Ferrari himself. So, most lunch times, he'd strip off his office clothes and don his overalls (coveralls in other jurisdictions) and proceed to the parking garage at work where the Ferrari was in some state of dismemberment, usually on axle stands, so as to carry out some or other task that ordinary Ferrari owners tended to leave to other well paid people. Joe was very good at all this fiddly work. I do wonder whether the reboring or piston fitting exercises gave him more pleasure than his day job.
Being a gynecologist he must be good at rebuilding the Ferrari engine by reaching through the tailpipe, eh?
07-13-2020, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #79407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Friday night, beer night.

Another week of refurb on a spankin' new airplane. Fun times seeing all the airplanes getting moved and moving around on their own nearby. Lunch everyday in the delivery center cafeteria, at a counter that looks out on the place where they deliver new airplanes to the customers (haven't seen any yet), another portion of the flightline (there are three aisles), and part of the main runway at the airport. The commercial flights are shut down right now, but a lot of a certain type and model of airplane were taking off all week, likely to never return.

Someone said they are going somewhere to get ready for delivery.

Great news.

The crew I'm on is getting a lot of work done, it is largely rework, or finishing up work not done yet. I find it interesting to see the build and development of a brand new model, and working to overcome the challenges of building the first ones. As I have mentioned a while back, I had the privilege of contributing to the build of the first three, and here I am working on one of the first ten.
My Friday night, after mowing the lawn, beer.
Attached Images

07-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #79408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Popcorn. I love the stuff. But my last popcorn was November, 2017. I vividly recall this date as I cracked a tooth real good, munching on some popcorn. I had to get a tooth implant.

Forty years previously I broke another tooth on popcorn and got a crown for my trouble in that case.

It has taken my 40 + years to learn my expensive lesson(s), but no more popcorn for me.
I had more than one experience like that with chewing gum. I have not chewed gum in a very long time.
07-13-2020, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #79409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Chipped a tooth on a counter once - the floor was slippy and the face went straight into the counter.

Then I had a root canal in one of my back teeth, which partially failed so I still feel a bit of pain there, but I can't be bothered to pay the dentists more to screw up again. And the filling on that tooth fell out, so it's like a broken tooth now.
That will catch up with you one day.
07-13-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #79410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
That will catch up with you one day.
It will. But they just want to pull the tooth anyway. I plan on holding onto it as long as I can