Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2020, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #79501
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
With pedals.

Which make it like any bicycle.

Something which one can actually burn calories on.

And become more fit.

So one simply goes back to using the thing in a way that is actually beneficial to their health, rather than a machine to do work for them.

What a concept, eh?
Ah, but this isn't a moped. It's a bicycle. The motor is limited to contribute no more than what you put in by pedaling. Unless you reduce the effect, of course, which I do most of the time - both to get more exercise and to extend the range. And the motor isn't allowed to contribute at all once you go faster then 25 kph. So you will definitely get some exercise, but you can go faster and further.

As I said above, when the batteries are flat you end up with a heavy bike, about 27 kg, and with an electric motor "contributing" with some extra resistance, too.

Actually, for an exercise nut like yourself this would be the ideal bike. Just switch off the motor and you'll get way more exercise than from a dinky lightweight bike

Besides, as Bert touched on, I don't see how driving a car would be any better for my health. This bike is replacing a car, not a conventional bike.

Last edited by savoche; 07-19-2020 at 08:33 AM.
07-19-2020, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #79502
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Morning Bob. I thought if I just ignored that post, I wouldn't be associated with rats
Your new around here, aren't you?
07-19-2020, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #79503
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Morning Bob. I thought if I just ignored that post, I wouldn't be associated with rats
Fat chance, Rat!

07-19-2020, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #79504
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Fat chance, Rat!
Which begs the question, who are you calling a pig? And who's an old goat?

07-19-2020, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #79505
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oslo is also quite hilly. The electric motor magically makes it flat. The drawback, of course, is that the range is limited. Or rather, when your batteries go flat you all of a sudden have a very heavy bike

Thanks, but I rather side with Mark on the looks
Another drawback is that the alleged fitness benefit of cycling does not happen. Guess you become like the heavily tattooed, much rounded gents who ride Harley Davidsons.
07-19-2020, 01:07 PM - 2 Likes   #79506
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So why do modern cyclists use battery powered lights. When I was young we used dynamo powered lights so the effect was a bit more exercise and the lights could not fail for lack of power.
07-19-2020, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #79507
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Yes, but it's a joy to ride - and it can haul quite a load. Just the thing for us city dwellers.

Oh, and I've seen even uglier

(Mark cannot read this text as he has now stabbed out his eyes.)
Uuugghh. Yes. That has a bit of a Brokeback Mountain look to it.

07-19-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #79508
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Another drawback is that the alleged fitness benefit of cycling does not happen. Guess you become like the heavily tattooed, much rounded gents who ride Harley Davidsons.
Nope. While it's true that conventional bicycles will require more effort than an electric bike to travel a certain distance, and thereby result in a greater degree of fitness, I've seen several claims that people get in better shape with electrical bikes compared to traditional bikes because they use them more. And my own experience, brief as it is, fits well with that observation. What the assisting motor does is to lower the intensity, "flatten the curve" if you will, but you still have to use your legs. The motor can not (by law) at any time contribute more than you do yourself, so at most take 50% of the work (and no more than 250W even if you should manage to put out more than that yourself). So when I halve the effect to 125W there is plenty room for a fitness benefit.

Especially since I haven't owned a working bicycle for years until now

As a side note, the lower intensity means my knees still work the day after such a trip. My old bike killed my knees up the hills - which is why I stopped using it.
07-19-2020, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #79509
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So why do modern cyclists use battery powered lights. When I was young we used dynamo powered lights so the effect was a bit more exercise and the lights could not fail for lack of power.
Isn't that like asking why modern cars don't use Lucas lighting?
07-19-2020, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #79510
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you guys think, is the universe isotropic? Has the speed of light always been the same? Is the scalar–tensor–vector gravity theory a better approach than introducing dark matter?

I guess there is a PBS strip with the answer, I just haven't found it yet.
07-19-2020, 01:49 PM - 4 Likes   #79511
Veteran Member

As I said above, when the batteries are flat you end up with a heavy bike, about 27 kg, and with an electric motor "contributing" with some extra resistance, too.
And if you want to up the exercise one more level, add one of those:

I'd make some sentimental comment like "Oh the days of my youth, when we used to have these on our bikes ...", but I actually had one of those until about half a year ago
07-19-2020, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #79512
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

...or are you nutters going with the anthropic landscape of string theory?
07-19-2020, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #79513
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
And if you want to up the exercise one more level, add one of those:

I'd make some sentimental comment like "Oh the days of my youth, when we used to have these on our bikes ...", but I actually had one of those until about half a year ago
See my Lucas comment above
07-19-2020, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #79514
Veteran Member

I have no idea - they're a hassle, you always need to make sure they're topped up, and take them off when you park the bike in order to make sure they don't get stolen. I guess their main benefit is that they can be had very cheaply.

In any case a hub dynamo is a much better choice - negligible resistance, and built into the bike, so always available.
07-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #79515
Veteran Member

See my Lucas comment above
Oh, I missed that one My bad.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »