Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #79696
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Sav

The electric car is advancing quickly now.
It won't be long before they are a real alternative.

Dave

07-29-2020, 03:20 AM   #79697
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Sav

The electric car is advancing quickly now.
It won't be long before they are a real alternative.

Dave
For me they already are a real alternative. I'll be driving electric when we're visiting the kids later today. Just an hour or so each way, so easily done on one charge even with the small batteries of the Zoe.

Not that the Zoe is terribly good at high speeds, but it's ok up to about 120 kph - which is over the speed limit anyway. For driving in the city it's brilliant.
07-29-2020, 03:25 AM - 2 Likes   #79698
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

I saw a lot of interesting rigs on the trip, one of my favourites was a COE (cabover) ...looked relatively new from a distance. Don't see too many anymore, but I've always liked them, even if they are the first to arrive at an accident.
Almost all trucks here and in Europe are Cab-Over. It's because of our length of truck rules which means a truck with a long nose wastes valuable cargo space.

Quite a few of these running around here by us. The cab is much taller than most other cab over truck designs. The driver sits high!

Real modern inside too.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-29-2020 at 03:34 AM. Reason: interior view added
07-29-2020, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #79699
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Sav

Electric cars have to improve there range for them to be taken seriously in Aus.
Major cities are 700km+ apart and 100km+ for regional cities and then there is Western Australia.

Dave

07-29-2020, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #79700
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

What was the biggest powerplant in all of the trucks you drove ?
The first truck, the blue Volvo, had a 15 liter Cummins ISX, rated at 550 horsepower, with a Fuller Roadranger 13 speed.

The last truck, Monstro, had a later 15 liter Cummins ISX, rated at 530 horsepower, also with a 13 speed.

The Pete 379 had a 15 liter Acert Cat (the last engine produced by Caterpillar for over the road trucks), with the Super 10 transmission. I don't recall the horsepower rating, but it ran out quite well.

If you were driving a big rig today, what transmission would be your preference ?
Any manual box suitable for the power train combination, including rear axles with a decent gear ratio. I really liked the trucks equipped with the Fuller Roadranger 18 speed, which works well when pulling heavy loads.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-29-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Stoopit spellchecker!
07-29-2020, 03:57 AM   #79701
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Sav

Electric cars have to improve there range for them to be taken seriously in Aus.
Major cities are 700km+ apart and 100km+ for regional cities and then there is Western Australia.

Dave
Yes, I know. Here the charging infrastructure is getting good enough for the existing cars to be usable - and we think of 500km as a long distance
07-29-2020, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #79702
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
. . . . . and we think of 500km as a long distance
That's just down the street around here.

07-29-2020, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #79703
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's just down the street around here.
And round the corner
07-29-2020, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #79704
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peterbilt
A friend of mine worked at a truck stop when he was in high school.
He tried to strike up a conversation with a female truck driver by asking: "How do you like your Peterbilt?"
Use your imagination, I won't post her reply.
07-29-2020, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #79705
Pentaxian

Yes, I know. Here the charging infrastructure is getting good enough for the existing cars to be usable - and we think of 500km as a long distance
Out here (Canadian prairies) 500 km is not a long distance. Also on the Canadian prairies our winters can be very cold...periods of -30 and colder are not uncommon. Towns can be fairly far apart and this is of concern, because EV charging is not likely to be in the middle of nowhere, it is likely to be in towns, cities. EV's use their motive power...batteries...not just for moving the vehicle and cargo, but also to heat the vehicle cabin. Battery power is significantly affected by extreme cold...range can plunge significantly.

I just returned from a 700 mile/1100 km trip across some of the western Canadian prairies. Saw one EV (Tesla) but it was only about 15 kms outside a city. No idea where his destination was going to be. We drove (I was the driver) the 1100 kms...started at 7;30 am, finished at 8:30 pm. Stopped for gas three times. Took about 5 minutes to top up and then on the road again.

We've done this trip in January and that trip was a run to try to beat a surprise and looming blizzard (we did) that immobilized vehicles for a couple of days till the heavy snow was plowed. The temps were -33 to -35 . the heater/defroster was on full and our gas engine (DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, 3.6 liter V6) got very good gas mpg and the distance range wasn't affected by the extreme cold. I don't think an EV would of been able to handle these conditions. And I for one would not want to be stuck out on the side of the road , in the cold with a non functioning EV.

Towns are very long distances out here, there are no passenger trains, just freight, there are no highway buses...Greyhound pulled out a few years ago...our public transportation are our personal vehicles.

EVs are more popular in larger urban centers with moderate climates like Toronto and Vancouver for people who don't drive much in the country. Unfortunately in Canada, much of the decision making is in large urban centers, not so much in more sparsely populated ...fly over...areas like the prairies.

Then there is northern Canada and those winters are colder and longer .

I think that a better type of motive power for areas like many parts of Canada...other than large cities with moderate climates...would be a hybrid. Perhaps electric with internal combustion or hydrogen / electric...or possibly just hydrogen fuel cell.

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Almost all trucks here and in Europe are Cab-Over. It's because of our length of truck rules which means a truck with a long nose wastes valuable cargo space.

Quite a few of these running around here by us. The cab is much taller than most other cab over truck designs. The driver sits high!

Real modern inside too.
Quite a few years ago in North America we had a lot more COE's and for the same reason as you do...regulations regarding the total length of both truck and trailer. The rules changed and conventional long nose trucks have taken over.

I've always felt that the COE design is very good for city delivery trucks that go down a lot of tight streets/ lanes to make their deliveries. For years a local brewing business used a '50's White 3000 COE to deliver beer to pubs.

white 3000 - Google Search

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 10:18 AM ----------

The first truck, the blue Volvo, had a 15 liter Cummins ISX, rated at 550 horsepower, with a Fuller Roadranger 13 speed.

The last truck, Monstro, had a later 15 liter Cummins ISX, rated at 530 horsepower, also with a 13 speed.

The Pete 379 had a 15 liter Acert Cat (the last engine produced by Caterpillar for over the road trucks), with the Super 10 transmission. I don't recall the horsepower rating, but it can out quite well.

Any manual box suitable for the power train combination, including rear axles with a decent gear ratio. I really liked the trucks equipped with the Fuller Roadranger 18 speed, which works well when pulling heavy loads.
Thx for the info. You had some nice equipment at your disposal.
07-29-2020, 09:29 AM - 3 Likes   #79706
Pentaxian

Here's another idea for you to try

Make a Reverse Steering Bicycle At Home - YouTube

I did try riding such a bke once. We could call it a frustrating experience
Oh Hell no!!
07-29-2020, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #79707
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Senior moment, I meant above not below.
Now he can say it is below his pay grade and therefore below his dignity.
07-29-2020, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #79708
Pentaxian

This was the best era of F1.
Their tyres are no good - they even have some tread.
07-29-2020, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #79709
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I should clarify something.
I know the first thought that came to the minds of some was "But what about bacon?????"
Bacon is a sub-group of cheeseburger as it's simply implied that a proper one includes bacon.
But you can have bacon in other settings too.
07-29-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #79710
Pentaxian

A short Rupert™ story.

My second bicycle was one of these:

I spent more time on the back wheel than on both wheels. I rode everywhere on the back tire only. Calling me "Wheelie" would have been appropriate, although no one ever did.

Most of the time the handle bars were nothing more than someplace to keep my hands.

Yet I never mastered a unicycle like Bert. Probably because I never played the 'pipes, eh?
No, not that.

Because you were not in the habit of cross dressing in a dress.