Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yeah, thanks a lot.

Amazon could probably bring it.

In about 8 months.

08-09-2020, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #79937
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
There is a joke about that, the t-shirt that said "My goal is to help at least one person per day, today is not your day and tomorrow isn't looking good either...."
The last place I worked at, the chief custodian had those exact words on a sheet taped to his office door, which BTW, was always closed, although we all knew he was in there.

In his case he absolutely meant every word.
08-10-2020, 07:59 AM - 3 Likes   #79938
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Mechanics Illustrated
Remember their auto expert, Tom McCahill?
His article was the first thing I'd read when my monthly MI issue came.
08-10-2020, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #79939
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I have read much of his work. He was my kind of car guy.

QuoteQuote:
Racing

In 1952 McCahill entered his own Jaguar Mark VII sedan in the Daytona Beach NASCAR speed trials and won in the Sedan class. Each year he attended and reported on world-renowned speed events, especially the Le Mans 24 Hour in France. He purchased the first Thunderbird built and raced it successfully in the 1955 Daytona speed trials. The Tom McCahill trophy was named for him. As director of the yearly speed trials at Daytona beach, he was responsible for overseeing the rules as well as the safety of the drivers and spectators. He was a personal friend of Briggs Cunningham and drove the fastest cars in the world.

08-10-2020, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #79940
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tom would do a Q & A column with readers.
One reader asked: Why do car manufacturers put two dollar jacks in their vehicles?
Tom's answer: Because they ran out of the dollar ones.
08-10-2020, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #79941
Pentaxian

I do, very well. Uncle Tom McCahill.

He was an icon. He was the guy that came up with the 0-60 mph as a test to see how fast a car could accelerate. In fact I think he chose the 60 mph because that was the speed limit on modern highways of the era and it was an important to know how quick a car could merge onto the highway from a dead stop.

At least that is what I read somewhere.

He was very knowledgeable about cars, a great driver, had many contacts in the industry, but best of all...with his inimitable writing style..... he was perhaps the most entertaining car writer I've ever read...and that goes back an awful long time....well to about 1955.

I recall reading a test of an ill handling, big boat of a car back in the '50's, where he said the car corners like a moose on a frozen lake.

Here's an interesting article about Tom McCahill and even though he passed away in 1975, he is still my favourite automotive writer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...3j8qO29UwkrcJ7
08-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #79942
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Day 5.

9 more days to go.

08-10-2020, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #79943
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A friend had an old 1970's Chevy SUV truck with 2WD. He was an ardent hunter and fisherman and he would find himself in very traction limited areas on a regular basis, and as a result would get stuck fairly often.

But he had a Hi Lift Jack and if stuck in mud or snow, would put the Hi Lift jack under either front or rear bumper (sometimes alternate between both if the whole vehicle was lodged in) lift whichever truck end was stuck ...to a certain height and then push the truck off the jack sideways and move his truck out of the snowdrift or mud that way. Hey...it worked ! I know. I've seen him do it.

He said 4WD, a locking axle, a strong winch and proper tires would of been good, but the Hi Lift Jack worked well, although it could take some time to push his truck sideways till he got out of the particular dilemma . A tip, was to keep a plywood base to keep the jack base from sinking in the morass.

He was the closest to a mountain man that I ever came across.

My wife says I got a lot of stories, most of them with some truth in them. I sometimes feel like the old guy in the State Farm Insurance Company advert.....where he says..."at state farm insurance we know a lot, because we see a lot."

I'm not an insurance company, but I'm a guy of an older vintage and as a result, I've seen a lot ...in my lifetime.

For the non North Americans out there...State Farm Insurance in a long time American insurance company.
A Hi Lift Jack works well as a winch too. It's slow, but it works if you don't have a electric or PTO winch or a Tirfor hand winch.
08-10-2020, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #79944
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert knew this all too well, Mark hasn't figured it out yet.
I can generally taste the difference between $6.99 bottles and $30 bottles, but I can't taste the difference between $30 bottles and $300 or $1,500 bottles. Go figure.
And, no, I've never spent that much on a bottle but a close friend has quite the collection so sometimes we sample one.
08-10-2020, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #79945
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it can do. But it can also mean fern or feather. Or diffused light. Or if combined with other words, like, huruhuru hipi, then it means wool.
08-10-2020, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #79946
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I have read much of his work. He was my kind of car guy.
He was a legend. I'm sure I have some Popular Mechanics magazines with articles by Tom.
08-10-2020, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #79947
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, it can do. But it can also mean fern or feather. Or diffused light. Or if combined with other words, like, huruhuru hipi, then it means wool.
Yeah but there isn't a news item for calling beer a fern, feather or wool, although some hangovers may leave one's mouth feeling like it has been full of all tthree.

And all the swill brands have their "light" versions.

But pubus. Now there's a beer that'll put hair on your . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . chest.
08-10-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #79948
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm suffering from cabin fever.

Please help me.

Make this cabin bigger.
08-10-2020, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #79949
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news, my wife has upgraded her ride. It's real nice. 2017 model, but looks and smells new, very low mileage.

Real nice engine too: https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-engines/ford-ecoboost-famil...oboost-engine/
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-10-2020 at 05:25 PM.
08-10-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #79950
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Racer

Are you in isolation ? pre-caution only I hope.

Play with your tractors and photo the events.

Hang in there

Dave