08-10-2020, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #79951
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm suffering from cabin fever.

Please help me.

Make this cabin bigger.
Have a play in the woods. Clean the underside of your tractor. Sort your tools.

08-10-2020, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #79952
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A Hi Lift Jack works well as a winch too. It's slow, but it works if you don't have a electric or PTO winch or a Tirfor hand winch.
It does and I have a story about that. Back in the '80's a work colleague who could do anything...carpentry wise, electrical work, mechanical work, etc. got a great deal on a small cabin by a lake. The reason he got such a deal was because years before when this cabin and a neighbour's cabin were built, the original owner/builder had not gotten a survey of the property.

As a result, he had built part of the cabin about 15 feet into the other cabin owner's land. Apparently the two were buddies and figured well that is the way it is, no big deal. And for many years it was no big deal, until the guy who had built the cabin partially on the other property, got too old to enjoy the cabin and decided to sell cabin and property.

But who would buy it, considering that the cabin was partially on the adjoining property ?

I think this is what is called a conundrum.

So he advertised the cabin as it was , and also indicated that the cabin was going to have to be moved onto it's own property and off the other guy's land by the buyer.

Realizing this was no inconsiderable task he was prepared to sell the cabin and property at a greatly reduced price.

No one was interested.

Then my colleague came by. He examined the situation very carefully, figured out how to move the cabin and bought the cabin and property at a great saving.

I don't have all the details, but essentially what he did was use a number of Hi Lift Jacks, to lift up the cabin from it's foundation (essentially Canadian Shield rock face) , set it down on a number of laid down straight logs (remember the Egyptians and building the pyramids) and then attaching the Hi Lift Jacks to the trunks of very large trees, with chains and winch the cabin about 25 feet over to his property. He had a a few friends winch the cabin over in synchro.

Here's the important part....when you're doing such precise work, make sure you pay your buddies off with cases of beer....AFTER....the job is completed.

It worked, albeit slowly, as you indicated and with no damage to anything.

Les
08-10-2020, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #79953
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Racer

Are you in isolation ? pre-caution only I hope.

Play with your tractors and photo the events.

Hang in there

Dave
Yes, Dave, 14 days, due to contact tracing.
08-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #79954
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news, my wife has upgraded her ride. It's real nice. 2017 model, but looks and smells new, very low mileage.

Real nice engine too: Ford 2.0L EcoBoost Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki
Is that called a Taurus down there Mark?

08-10-2020, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #79955
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that called a Taurus down there Mark?
Nope. Called a Mondeo. I understand it's called a Fusion by you: https://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/gallery/

I understand the Taurus which was made until 2019 in the USA is a completely different car. The Taurus sold in China is a stretched Mondeo, but that's sold in China only.
08-10-2020, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #79956
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It does and I have a story about that. Back in the '80's a work colleague who could do anything...carpentry wise, electrical work, mechanical work, etc. got a great deal on a small cabin by a lake. The reason he got such a deal was because years before when this cabin and a neighbour's cabin were built, the original owner/builder had not gotten a survey of the property.

As a result, he had built part of the cabin about 15 feet into the other cabin owner's land. Apparently the two were buddies and figured well that is the way it is, no big deal. And for many years it was no big deal, until the guy who had built the cabin partially on the other property, got too old to enjoy the cabin and decided to sell cabin and property.

But who would buy it, considering that the cabin was partially on the adjoining property ?

I think this is what is called a conundrum.

So he advertised the cabin as it was , and also indicated that the cabin was going to have to be moved onto it's own property and off the other guy's land by the buyer.

Realizing this was no inconsiderable task he was prepared to sell the cabin and property at a greatly reduced price.

No one was interested.

Then my colleague came by. He examined the situation very carefully, figured out how to move the cabin and bought the cabin and property at a great saving.

I don't have all the details, but essentially what he did was use a number of Hi Lift Jacks, to lift up the cabin from it's foundation (essentially Canadian Shield rock face) , set it down on a number of laid down straight logs (remember the Egyptians and building the pyramids) and then attaching the Hi Lift Jacks to the trunks of very large trees, with chains and winch the cabin about 25 feet over to his property. He had a a few friends winch the cabin over in synchro.

Here's the important part....when you're doing such precise work, make sure you pay your buddies off with cases of beer....AFTER....the job is completed.

It worked, albeit slowly, as you indicated and with no damage to anything.

Les
Cool things, Hi Lift Jacks. I suppose it's still good value if it ended up more or less level on the new site!
08-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #79957
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. Called a Mondeo. I understand it's called a Fusion by you: https://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/gallery/

I understand the Taurus which was made until 2019 in the USA is a completely different car. The Taurus sold in China is a stretched Mondeo, but that's sold in China only.
Hm. Looks like a Taurus.

Nice looking cars, too bad they don't come in a 2 door model, manual gearbox, all wheel drive . . . . . . .

I might be interested.

Then there is this:

https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/mkii/?gnav=header-all-vehicles

I want one.

08-10-2020, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #79958
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hm. Looks like a Taurus.

Nice looking cars, too bad they don't come in a 2 door model, manual gearbox, all wheel drive . . . . . . .

I might be interested.

Then there is this:

https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/mkii/?gnav=header-all-vehicles

I want one.
There's a nice car. Might be a bit hard for the supermarket run.

Here's a front view of a Taurus:

And a Mondeo / Fusion:

Similar, but not the same.
08-10-2020, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #79959
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And rear views:
Taurus: (sedan)

Mondeo: (5-door hatch) I think the Fusion can be had in a 4-door sedan, but not by us. Only hatches here.

Top end Titanium model has a glass roof, others have steel roofs.
08-10-2020, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #79960
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, it's all over rover. Ford has announced that, other than the Mustang, they'll stop making cars and will henceforth only make SUV's and trucks / utes. Sedans don't sell. Even the small hatches are being made taller as everyone wants to be in a SUV these days.
08-10-2020, 11:09 PM - 2 Likes   #79961
Pentaxian

I for one, am sad to see the sedan go. I like sedans.

Up to February we had two sedans, both large, one, a 2007 with 6 passenger seating and a 90 degree, 3800cc V6. The other a 2015 (the last generation) with the 3.6 liter, 305 hp, DOHC V6. Both were quiet, comfortable, accelerated well, handled reasonably well, got very good mpg at constant cruise on the highway.

We wanted another big sedan when it came time to trade in, but nothing similar to them was available. I've had European, Japanese vehicles, but I prefer American vehicles for our climate and great distances traveling we do across western Canada. I kind of need a vehicle with a big cabin, I'm XL and I don't fit in many smaller/mid size vehicles.

The market now seems mostly pickup trucks, SUV's and variations on these themes.

So, we got our first SUV/CUV . Somewhat reluctantly.

It is fairly large, lots of room in the interior, both cabin and cargo area. It has 2WD which we can switch to AWD and then something called off road AWD (if I recall correctly), Tow/Haul for pulling trailers. I would never take it off road....I mean really off road, where there is actually no road.

So far it is really good in a prairie blizzard or the aftermath of snow drifts. It plows through snow much better than our sedans, due to higher ground clearance, larger diameter tires, etc.. Being able to switch into a mode where all 4 wheels have drive, makes a bigger difference than I thought.

It has 300 + hp, a 9 speed transmission. It us tow rated @ 5000 lbs., the payload is 1600 lbs. plus, has a useful roof rack, and 255/65-18 P series, light truck tires, and 7.5 " X 18" wheels . It came with the optional tow package...larger rad, transmission cooler, 730 CCA battery..I like a big battery for our cold winter starts. It weighs in about 4500 lbs. and the gas mileage on the highway @ constant cruise is not bad, not bad at all.

I find it very easy to load/unload stuff from the flat floor cargo area. I don't have to lift cargo over the typical sedan 'lip' at the back of the trunk., nor do I have to bend to fit under the trunk lid which never seemed to raise high enough to accommodate my head, shoulders, etc.

Lots of room with the rear hatch raised, no lip to lift over. Kind of nice actually. Really nice and easier on the old bod.

I really didn't want a SUV type vehicle. But after the past 6 months or so, I have to admit I can understand why sedans are dying off. When you think of it, having a SUV/CUV type vehicle makes sense for joe average. A box on wheels, many with all wheel drive capability for inclement weather. Easy to load unload a box, when the hatch end flips up for access.

Don't know why I held on to sedans for so long. I really don't.
08-10-2020, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #79962
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In other news, my wife has upgraded her ride. It's real nice. 2017 model, but looks and smells new, very low mileage.

These are really good: I had one of its predecessors in estate flavour and loved it. It only got replaced because the family got bigger.
08-10-2020, 11:35 PM - 2 Likes   #79963
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can generally taste the difference between $6.99 bottles and $30 bottles, but I can't taste the difference between $30 bottles and $300 or $1,500 bottles. Go figure.
And, no, I've never spent that much on a bottle but a close friend has quite the collection so sometimes we sample one.
All the bottles cost about 6.50 for the bottle, shipping to the shop, stocking on the shelf, tax etc. So the 6.99 bottle nearly gives away the fluid it contains.
08-10-2020, 11:37 PM - 2 Likes   #79964
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

It has a blue plate at the front with a four letter f word in it.
08-11-2020, 05:05 AM - 4 Likes   #79965
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clean the underside of your tractor. Sort your tools.
I've never heard it called either of those before.