Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2020, 09:10 PM - 4 Likes   #80086
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I apologize if my attempt (obviously failed) at a bit of light humor offended you. It was not meant to be offensive.
Offensive your kidding are'nt you .... we live by it, the more 'stirring' the better...

Its all ok Les.

Do you trust a NASA actor ?

Dave

08-16-2020, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #80087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All's good Les.
No offence taken.
And your attempt at humour wasn't a fail; I just wasn't going to acknowledge it!!
08-17-2020, 08:33 AM - 3 Likes   #80088
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Offensive your kidding are'nt you .... we live by it, the more 'stirring' the better.
It's what we do best.
Bertwert, the punk ass kid, started it.
08-17-2020, 09:15 AM - 3 Likes   #80089
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, it can do. But it can also mean fern or feather. Or diffused light. Or if combined with other words, like, huruhuru hipi, then it means wool.
Yep, I don't really think it's any worse than if somebody started making a beer called "Bolnde Beaver"

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yeah but there isn't a news item for calling beer a fern, feather or wool, although some hangovers may leave one's mouth feeling like it has been full of all tthree.

And all the swill brands have their "light" versions.

But pubus. Now there's a beer that'll put hair on your . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . chest.
Ah now, there are useful mixes of wool and beer. Just the socks for Cabin Fever Racer

08-17-2020, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #80090
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
"Bolnde Beaver"
Yeah, I'd be confused too, if I had too much beer and misspelled blonde.

That's a bit too much beer, I'd say.

As for a blonde beaver, well, I can say I've tried a couple in my day. The softest hair ever, those blondes.
08-17-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #80091
Pentaxian

Last night, after completing the pizza oven floor, I fired up the bbq for some ribs. Bob will be pleased to now I did not precook, but used the slow cooking indirect fire method, with lots of basting.

It was 7 degrees but red wine helped with that.
Ref that pizza oven: I built something like that in the 1970', but smaller, cruder and with no top cover - doubled as a BBQ pit when having parties in the garden (single then - had a lot of parties in the garden and in the house ), and an incinerator pit at other times for all the garden rubbish
08-17-2020, 11:04 AM - 3 Likes   #80092
Pentaxian

I remember fly fishing in the Duck Mountains area of Manitoba about a quarter of century ago. It was evening and I was in my Old Town freighter canoe. There were beaver dams here and there and they can provide good coverage for fish. The lake I was in was mostly a trout lake and they were rising to the surface to gobble up the insect hatch that was taking place.

Closest I had to the hatch was few Water Boatman flies and I was casting away where the trout were surfacing. All of a sudden...bang...something huge hit my fly lure and my fishing rod bent over in almost a U. Tne next second a large beaver broke water surface like a missile . My fly had stuck onto his side and he wasn't happy and he was about 10 feet from me and boat.

Fortunately he snapped my fly leader like it was nothing and subsided back into the lake. Scared the bejeebers out of me as at first, I thought how the heck am I going to do a catch and release on 30+ pounds of wet, angry rodent with huge chompers that he knew how to use...effectively.

I think what happened is he must of been swimming by my water boatman fly and brushed along it and the fly caught him on the side of his body.

Anyways, I figured well it;s getting near dusk, and I by that point had enough of fishing for the evening so I fired up my little Evinrude twin and went back to the dock. When I was docking my freighter, there was a guy on the dock who was a part time local guide/ trapper making a few last casts of the day.

I told him of my adventure and he said he wouldn't worry about the Beaver, thick hide, small, thin, fly hook, it would probably fall off within 24 hours and wouldn't be able to pierce the hide.

Manitoba is a wonderful place to live, with a ig variety of different topographical areas.... extremely cold, hot during summer...huge number of lakes,,,,vast areas of Canadian Shield, Boreal Forest, rich prairie grain farms, ranches...and up north , tundra to the Hudson's Bay.

I mention this as there is lots of great outdoors for the outdoorsman/woman. Some areas are pretty isolated, but for me, that is just fine.

08-17-2020, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #80093
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Earlier this year, an early Datsun 240Z sold for $310,000 (US).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-124/

No, that is not a typo.

THREE HUNDRED TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

For a car that sold new for $3,757.
08-17-2020, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #80094
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

21k-Mile 1971 Datsun 240Z Series I for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $310,000 on January 29, 2020 (Lot #27,363) | Bring a Trailer

No, that is not a typo.

08-17-2020, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #80095
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I remember fly fishing in the Duck Mountains area of Manitoba about a quarter of century ago. It was evening and I was in my Old Town freighter canoe. There were beaver dams here and there and they can provide good coverage for fish. The lake I was in was mostly a trout lake and they were rising to the surface to gobble up the insect hatch that was taking place.

Closest I had to the hatch was few Water Boatman flies and I was casting away where the trout were surfacing. All of a sudden...bang...something huge hit my fly lure and my fishing rod bent over in almost a U. Tne next second a large beaver broke water surface like a missile . My fly had stuck onto his side and he wasn't happy and he was about 10 feet from me and boat.

Fortunately he snapped my fly leader like it was nothing and subsided back into the lake. Scared the bejeebers out of me as at first, I thought how the heck am I going to do a catch and release on 30+ pounds of wet, angry rodent with huge chompers that he knew how to use...effectively.

I think what happened is he must of been swimming by my water boatman fly and brushed along it and the fly caught him on the side of his body.

Anyways, I figured well it;s getting near dusk, and I by that point had enough of fishing for the evening so I fired up my little Evinrude twin and went back to the dock. When I was docking my freighter, there was a guy on the dock who was a part time local guide/ trapper making a few last casts of the day.

I told him of my adventure and he said he wouldn't worry about the Beaver, thick hide, small, thin, fly hook, it would probably fall off within 24 hours and wouldn't be able to pierce the hide.

Manitoba is a wonderful place to live, with a ig variety of different topographical areas.... extremely cold, hot during summer...huge number of lakes,,,,vast areas of Canadian Shield, Boreal Forest, rich prairie grain farms, ranches...and up north , tundra to the Hudson's Bay.

I mention this as there is lots of great outdoors for the outdoorsman/woman. Some areas are pretty isolated, but for me, that is just fine.
Racer's beaver stories is a bit different to your beaver stories Les! Can't say I've ever been fishing and (almost) caught a beaver!
08-17-2020, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #80096
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

21k-Mile 1971 Datsun 240Z Series I for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $310,000 on January 29, 2020 (Lot #27,363) | Bring a Trailer

No, that is not a typo.

Wow. That's seriously impressive. $310,000. Amazing.
08-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #80097
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You obviously don't think very clearly then.
I caught on; but old dogs and new tricks come in to play; I wasn't going (to be able) to teach you anything.
Tim60 caught on too, didn't he?
And dbs (Dave from Clare Valley in S.Aust) he caught on.
We might be the only three Aussies on the thread, (If we count tim60 as still Aussie - him being in the Old Dart and all that).
I went down to Australia House and bought a new passport, way back in February. It was actually the day known in church calendar as Ash Wednesday. The old passport had expired which makes it hard to use for anything you need a passport for. That was in the days while the disease was just catching on. A couple of weeks later and the shop where I bought the passport would have been closed. BTW English people complain their passports are expensive but to get me Australian one I had to pay FOUR times as much.
08-17-2020, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #80098
Pentaxian

Racer's beaver stories is a bit different to your beaver stories Les! Can't say I've ever been fishing and (almost) caught a beaver!
I think Racer and I live in different worlds.
08-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #80099
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I went down to Australia House and bought a new passport, way back in February. It was actually the day known in church calendar as Ash Wednesday. The old passport had expired which makes it hard to use for anything you need a passport for. That was in the days while the disease was just catching on. A couple of weeks later and the shop where I bought the passport would have been closed. BTW English people complain their passports are expensive but to get me Australian one I had to pay FOUR times as much.
How much do you pay? Ours is $191 and takes 10 days to process, so about two weeks until it's in your hands. If you want one urgently it's $382 and you get it in three to five days. A South African one is R400, which is about $35. But it takes 6-8 months for it to be processed. So, I guess you get what you pay for.

Both mine have lapsed so when we can travel again I need to fill in the forms. I hate filling in forms.
08-17-2020, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #80100
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

No, that is not a typo.

No, that is not a typo.

Wow. That's seriously impressive. $310,000. Amazing.
Doubly so.