Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2020, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #80656
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A 383 Chevy stroker, coupled with a Turbo 400 tranny.
It also has Hillborn injection, and a Winters Quick Change Rear with Traction Lock Differential and 32" Mickey Thompson Slicks

A video with several passes he made. It runs in the low 11's, around 117 miles an hour.

09-12-2020, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #80657
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, if you're gonna live in the country, you're gonna have wild critters skulking about.

A wascally wabbit.

Venison on the hoof, wondering what's for breakfast.

More venison keeping the lawn trimmed.

Friendly syrup slurping squabblers.

Unbalanced syrup slurping squabblers.

More venison nibbling blackberries and salmon berries, and the vegetation.

Which is really hard work.

I have also seen a bobcat a few times, about where the deer are in the front yard, but the camera was not handy then.

There was also the time I saw cougar tracks in the sand on the riverbank.

Bald eagles nest along the riverbank nearby.

Several species of owl hunt field mice here at night.

Coyotes can be heard bickering most evenings nearby, and we seen them in the yard occasionally. Mangy looking things.

And I frequently see bear scat in the yard.

Yep. We live in their world, so we have to accept that they are gonna check in on us.
How often do you have Bambi steaks for dinner?
09-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #80658
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How often do you have Bambi steaks for dinner?
Not often enough.

Oh, and I have had 380 feet of riverfront for 16 years, and have yet to sample the bounty it offers.
09-13-2020, 08:49 AM - 7 Likes   #80659
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

09-13-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #80660
Pentaxian

It also has Hillborn injection, and a Winters Quick Change Rear with Traction Lock Differential and 32" Mickey Thompson Slicks

A video with several passes he made. It runs in the low 11's, around 117 miles an hour.

"38 Special Gasser" Nostalgia Drag Racing - YouTube
Thank Gawd for wheelie bars !! Beautiful truck and what a launch....that launch alone must be enough to scare the competition to back off their gas pedals. Great video and some beautiful cars patronizing that strip.

I recall the first time I saw Hillborn injection...it was on a '32 Ford roadster...built for drag racing....slicks, 327 Chevy V8, etc.

May, 1970.

During test and tune runs, I was in the next lane at the local drag strip...NHRA sanctioned.

I was in my German coupe....the light started to count down...I revved my engine to peak rpm, clutch in...green light on the Chrondeks... ...I dropped the clutch and I sprinted ahead of the '32 Ford in first gear....I then shifted hard into second @ around 15-16 mph...flat out....then the '32 Ford/ Chevy V8...got traction and disappeared way into the horizon. He was a speck way in front of me ....halfway through my drag run.

Think his times were 10 second something @ 134 or so mph.

Me in my German coupe...'69 VW 1500cc, 4 speed...19.4 @ 68'5 mph....not bad for 53.5 hp.
09-13-2020, 03:16 PM - 4 Likes   #80661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The other day I called you a slacker, today I call you greedy.
A couple of days ago Claudia, one of the doctors at the Tropical Institute, burst into our office exclaiming 'Who wants to see a crazy big beef tapeworm I just found?!', so we all stormed down into the lab (including the IT guys) to marvel at that beauty and all its clear uterine branches. Half an hour later she barged in again to ask who wanted to listen to her husband's talk on medieval plague epidemics. So we did for an hour. I learnt that the word 'quarantine' comes from the Italian 'quaranta', meaning 'forty', because without any knowledge of infectiology the medieval Republic of Venice decided to quarantine newly arrived sailors on an island in the lagoon for forty days, as that number seems to pop up in the bible a lot.

I got paid for looking at cool worms and learning about the history of plague - god, I love my job.

But what will you call me now?

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 09-13-2020 at 03:25 PM.
09-13-2020, 03:22 PM - 3 Likes   #80662
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Raccoon on alligator.

I wonder (a) How did he get there? (b) How will he get off? (c)When does the alligator realize he has a passenger?

09-13-2020, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #80663
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not often enough.

Oh, and I have had 380 feet of riverfront for 16 years, and have yet to sample the bounty it offers.
No trout fishing in 16 years?
09-13-2020, 03:23 PM - 4 Likes   #80664
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
A couple of days ago Claudia, one of the doctors at the Tropical Institute, burst into our office exclaiming 'Who wants to see a crazy big beef tapeworm I just found?!', so we all stormed down into the lab to marvel at that beauty and all its clear uterine branches. Half an hour later she barged in again to ask who wanted to listen to her husband's talk on medieval plague epidemics. So we did for an hour. I learnt that the word 'quarantine' comes from the Italian 'quaranta', meaning 'forty', because without any knowledge of infectiology the medieval Republic of Venice decided to quarantine newly arrived sailors on an island in the lagoon for forty days, as that number seems to pop up in the bible a lot.

I got paid for looking at cool worms and learning about the history of plague - god, I love my job.

Busy?
09-13-2020, 03:26 PM - 6 Likes   #80665
Veteran Member

I wonder (a) How did he get there? (b) How will he get off? (c)When does the alligator realize he has a passenger?
Poor alligators gotta earn their income some way.

09-13-2020, 03:40 PM - 6 Likes   #80666
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

An alligator with a raccoon on its back.
Alligators with turtles on their backs.
What's next? A bunny with a waffle on its head?

Last edited by Parallax; 09-14-2020 at 05:12 AM.
09-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #80667
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
A couple of days ago Claudia, one of the doctors at the Tropical Institute, burst into our office exclaiming 'Who wants to see a crazy big beef tapeworm I just found?!', so we all stormed down into the lab to marvel at that beauty and all its clear uterine branches. Half an hour later she barged in again to ask who wanted to listen to her husband's talk on medieval plague epidemics. So we did for an hour. I learnt that the word 'quarantine' comes from the Italian 'quaranta', meaning 'forty', because without any knowledge of infectiology the medieval Republic of Venice decided to quarantine newly arrived sailors on an island in the lagoon for forty days, as that number seems to pop up in the bible a lot.

I have read that the Black Plague in the mid 1300's, killed a significant chunk of the European population of that time. However there are theories that individuals with hemachromotosis , may have been able to avoid the final effects (death) of the Black Plague.

What is your take ?
09-13-2020, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #80668
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

(d) What does the raccoon do if the gator dives far from shore?

No trout fishing in 16 years?
No.

But the Mountain View Inn on the Mount Loop Highway used to serve rainbow trout dinner with locally caught wild trout. Ate it there many times over the past 40 or 50 years. The Mountain View Inn, situated upstream from us 15 or 20 miles, was a leftover from the mining and logging days of the late 1800's. Sadly it closed a few years ago, as people just don't find driving up a mountain road way out of town for an awesome rainbow trout dinner with all the trimmings worthwhile.

Maybe I'll give fishing the river here a go before me sell and move away.
09-13-2020, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #80669
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(d) What does the raccoon do if the gator dives far from shore?

No.

But the Mountain View Inn on the Mount Loop Highway used to serve rainbow trout dinner with locally caught wild trout. Ate it there many times over the past 40 or 50 years. The Mountain View Inn, situated upstream from us 15 or 20 miles, was a leftover from the mining and logging days of the late 1800's. Sadly it closed a few years ago, as people just don't find driving up a mountain road way out of town for an awesome rainbow trout dinner with all the trimmings worthwhile.

Maybe I'll give fishing the river here a go before me sell and move away.
That's a damn shame. Always sad when a good restaurant closes. Especially one that sells fresh local produce.
This place is good. They have thier own mooring so you can catch your trout, motor over to them and they'll cook it for you!
Google Maps
09-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #80670
Forum Member

That's a damn shame. Always sad when a good restaurant closes. Especially one that sells fresh local produce.
This place is good. They have thier own mooring so you can catch your trout, motor over to them and they'll cook it for you!
Google Maps
I hesitate to post this, not least because this thread lost it's original (funny, useful) purpose long ago. But after three moderator posts in a row, all continuing the offtopic chat, it seems now or forever hold my peace: why is this thread allowed (and by the moderators' own contributions, encouraged) to become a general chat thing, whereas other threads equally harmless are firmly shutdown, often by those same moderators, for "going off topic"?

I own a K3, and come to this forum to see what if anything is new and interesting. This thread is always bubbling at the top with inanity about cars, crocodiles and other stuff. Perhaps it could be renamed or moved somewhere less specific to the K3? The activity means it pops up in Google when searching for the K3, and it makes neither a good impression on the model, Pentax, Pentaxians and dare I say, this forum.

I imagine this will be my last post.