Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2020, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #80776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My father had a Wolseley 16/60 which was very similar. There was a Riley version too, I think.

09-19-2020, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #80777
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
The local police had Westminsters as patrol cars until about 1968 like the one below. I took my driving test in my dad's Austin Cambridge (4 cyl) here it is with my sister taken around 1964.
Great pix, both police car and of your sister in front of the family car.

Around 1955 or so, I was 5-6 years old and my family drove down to St. Louis, Missouri ( a distance of over 1000 miles one way) in the last of our Austins, which would of been the Westminster. We made pretty good time from what I recall my parents saying.. I could be mistaken but the Austin 6 cylinder of the Westminster was also used by the big Austin Healey of the time, albeit the A-H version was tuned up a bit more,

For my first car, I almost bought a Morris Oxford. My dad wanted me too look at it, as he had owned a number of British cars and we went to check out the Oxford. The interior was sumptuous, thick leather covered seats and wood dashboard. I asked my dad to start the the engine, while I stood out back by the exhaust pipe. A big blow of blue smoke appeared and for me, that was a deal breaker.

I ended up getting a '61 VW Deluxe, 1200cc and that was a very reliable and durable first car for me. I was 18.

I would imagine a Westminster with the inline six cylinder police car, would be effective at patrolling areas in the UK....the six would provide an advantage in power over the more common 4 cylinder cars of the time.
09-19-2020, 05:58 AM - 4 Likes   #80778
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
estate car
Had to Google that one.
Here they're station wagons.
09-19-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #80779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Had to Google that one.
Some Estate cars in the UK are also known as Shooting Brakes. Think the difference between a Shooting Brake and an Estate car is determined by use. Although I'm guessing.

09-19-2020, 06:24 AM - 5 Likes   #80780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
estate car
Had to Google that one.
We had a 1972 Buick Estate wagon like this one. Quite the beast!

09-19-2020, 06:37 AM - 3 Likes   #80781
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
When Mrs. P and I met she had the Pontiac version of that. Same model year and it was indeed a beast, but not in the same context you're using the term.
Think demolition derby runner-up.
09-19-2020, 06:37 AM - 3 Likes   #80782
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had to Google that one.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some Estate cars in the UK are also known as Shooting Brakes. Think the difference between a Shooting Brake and an Estate car is determined by use. Although I'm guessing.
Some US cars were also referred to as a shooting brake, such as the Chevrolet Nomad (pictured) and the Pontiac Safari.

09-19-2020, 07:06 AM - 3 Likes   #80783
Veteran Member

So much to learn from this thread.
Shooting brake comes from transporting shooting parties.
Station wagon comes from transporting luggage to the rail depot.
09-19-2020, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #80784
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Some US cars were also referred to as a shooting brake, such as the Chevrolet Nomad (pictured) and the Pontiac Safari.

My parents had a '61 Chevy Nomad...last of the station wagon/shooting brakes Nomads. I wanted my dad to get a 348 W series V8....he thought a 283 2 barrel V8 would be enough. Our family Nomad had the 283/170 HP 2 barrel V8.

---------- Post added 09-19-20 at 09:43 AM ----------

So much to learn from this thread.
Shooting brake comes from transporting shooting parties.
Station wagon comes from transporting luggage to the rail depot.
Quite right. Our family Nomad never transported any shooting parties,to my knowledge. Although on occasion we did pick up my grandma and her luggage from the rail depot, so that should qualify the old '61 Nomad as a station wagon.

When my parents traded the '61 Chev Nomad in (on a '64 Impala wagon) a local hunting/fishing lodge bought it and used it for transporting outdoorsmen from the airport to the lodge...plus their luggage / rods/reels/rifles, etc....all lashed to the roof rack which was a dealer installed Oldsmobile rack.

So it was first a station wagon...then with the new ownership, became a shooting brake...I would say.

Interesting car, had a early posi-traction limited slip rear axle, an air lift suspension and heavy duty 6 ply tires. During our ownership it was used as a family car, also for transporting part of the hockey team I played on and towing our RV trailer.

BTW, first car I ever drove was the '61. I was 12 and it was at a fairly isolated Minnesota state park...round the nearly empty camping park. My dad rode shotgun. and I don't think I exceeded 5 mph...even though the speed limit at the park in this area was posted at 15 mph. 15 mph would of been too heady an experience for me...at that time.

---------- Post added 09-19-20 at 09:46 AM ----------

Beautiful car. I bet it probably had the Buick 455 cube V8 under the hood. Lots of torque.
09-19-2020, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #80785
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose even the Datsun Z could be a shooting brake, for a hunting party of two. If it was birds or rabbit, the bounty of the hunt could be carried home in the back. For larger game, a roof rack might be more appropriate.
09-19-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #80786
Pentaxian

I suppose even the Datsun Z could be a shooting brake, for a hunting party of two. If it was birds or rabbit, the bounty of the hunt could be carried home in the back. For larger game, a roof rack might be more appropriate.
Now this may sound blasphemous...but a Datsun Z with a trailer hitch...equalizer hitch preferrable....pulling a single axle (tandem axle better) stake trailer...or maybe a trailer with a 'cap' and roof racks.

To get into rugged, traction limited areas...the Z should be lifted and have oversize possibly mudder tires (depending on terrain). No 4WD could be an issue...but a HD Warn winch attached to the front should alleviate this issue.

A snorkel kit for fording streams...

I think I'm on to something here....no not on something...but on to something !

If there still is a space problem for loading larger game...well let us reverse back to the old days...strap the large game onto the front fender of the Z.
09-19-2020, 09:35 AM - 5 Likes   #80787
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

No 4WD could be an issue...
No problem for this guy.

09-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #80788
Pentaxian

No problem for this guy.
And I thought I was being innovative and some guy beat me to the punch ! Now that looks like a very capable Z.
09-19-2020, 11:21 AM - 6 Likes   #80789
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

And I thought I was being innovative and some guy beat me to the punch !
One of the [few] things I've leaned in life is that if I can think of it somebody else already has.
09-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #80790
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the [few] things I've leaned in life is that if I can think of it somebody else already has.
I like to take the solutions others have worked out, and improve them.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »