Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #80806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Today is National Cheeseburger Day, so I grilled burgers stuffed with cheese and mushrooms on my (gasp) little Weber Q gas grill.
First time using gas for grilling in several years.
I have a Weber Q grill and a Pentax Q camera.

I like our Q1200 Weber Grill. Awesome little cooker. It is all my wife and I have uses all year. Unless we cook on out little Lodge cast iron grill. Great use for smaller fallen branches. We have a larger Weber 3 burner grill but hardly ever use it. I don't think that we have even fired it up this year. The little Weber is handy and I usually connect it to a 20 pound propane tank.

09-20-2020, 07:06 AM - 4 Likes   #80807
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

From the joke thread:

I don't mean to brag, but I can always tell when they use fake dinosaurs in movies.
Now, if Rupert had said that I would have replied with something like "well, you should be able to tell. I'm sure you can remember the real ones from your youth".

That's what I would have said to Jim, but I certainly wouldn't say something like that to you, Bob.
No sir.
It wouldn't even cross my mind.

09-20-2020, 07:34 AM - 4 Likes   #80808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
From the joke thread:

Now, if Rupert had said that I would have replied with something like "well, you should be able to tell. I'm sure you can remember the real ones from your youth".

That's what I would have said to Jim, but I certainly wouldn't say something like that to you, Bob.
No sir.
It wouldn't even cross my mind.

It's a good thing it didn't cross your mind or I would have canceled the Burger's bacon order I planned to send you.

09-20-2020, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #80809
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a good thing it didn't cross your mind or I would have canceled the Burger's bacon order I planned to send you.
"City" bacon?

Is that made from city pigs?

09-20-2020, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #80810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Have you seen the snorkel kit for a T54 tank. A bit less than 20 foot. The Russians do river bed crossings, saves on deploying river crossing bridges.
Nope, never have seen a snorkel kit for a Russian tank. At 20 feet, that snorkel is longer than the Z car. Being of Russian manufacture I bet the snorkel kit weighs an awful lot, but will have been designed to take a 'kicking' .

---------- Post added 09-20-20 at 01:30 PM ----------

Surprisingly, even though my dad was the chief breadwinner in the family and brought home the bacon, by working for many years in a meatpacking plant....I've never been one to have too much bacon.

I will admit, nothing beats the smell of bacon cooking along with coffee brewing when out at the campsite .

I prefer back bacon to side bacon. We Canucks call 'back bacon', what Americans call "Canadian bacon' . I don't know why that is and I'm a history buff.

I'm finding all this bacon talk, recipes and pictures makes me drool.... in regards to Canadian Bacon by Rob, Racer and others. My mouth waters whenever I've reading this thread and bacon is the topic.

So much so, I think I'm going to ask my wife to put an order in for some. [COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 09-20-20 at 01:30 PM ----------

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-20-2020 at 11:31 AM.
09-20-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #80811
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The T54 snorkel provided the air for the engine and for the crew. If the engine stalled under water they would have one or two chances the restart. If that failed the escape route was to open the driver’s hatch, at the front. The driver would escape. Then the other crew, in order, commander, gunner and loader would each need to follow, swimming out through the position where each one before them had gone. If any one got caught they and those who were meant to follow would drown.
09-20-2020, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #80812
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I prefer back bacon to side bacon. We Canucks call 'back bacon', what Americans call "Canadian bacon' . I don't know why that is and I'm a history buff.
Back bacon is made from the loin, located near the back. I've made it several times and to me it's pretty much just ham.
Side bacon is from the belly. I think it's called streaky bacon in the UK.

09-20-2020, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #80813
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The T54 snorkel provided the air for the engine and for the crew. If the engine stalled under water they would have one or two chances the restart. If that failed the escape route was to open the driver’s hatch, at the front. The driver would escape. Then the other crew, in order, commander, gunner and loader would each need to follow, swimming out through the position where each one before them had gone. If any one got caught they and those who were meant to follow would drown.
It would be good to be the driver, and not the loader.

It would be better to not stall the engine.
09-20-2020, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #80814
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It would be good to be the driver, and not the loader.

It would be better to not stall the engine.
It would be best to be a logistics manager 20 miles behind the front and not inside a tank - ever.
09-20-2020, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #80815
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I think that's a very fair price.
09-20-2020, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #80816
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In Australia we had go to the service station refilling. That interrupts cooking with a trip out. The Taiwan bottles were about 1 foot diameter and mid thigh height, a good size to fit on a rack on the delivery man’s motor bike.
I try to always have a spare full bottle in the shed. Which reminds me... I don't have a spare full bottle in the shed right now!
09-20-2020, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #80817
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I speak American fluently, but I have a passing familiarity with some foreign languages (French, English, Spanish, and German).
Every Fall we have many custom harvesters from South Africa. I can always identify Afrikaans when I hear it. I can identify it because it's the only non-Asian language I hear of which I can identify no words whatsoever.
"Goeie more" = "Good morning"
"Dankie" = "Thank you"
"Ja-nee" = Technically "yes-no" but really works in almost every sentence or on it's own.
09-20-2020, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #80818
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some Estate cars in the UK are also known as Shooting Brakes. Think the difference between a Shooting Brake and an Estate car is determined by use. Although I'm guessing.
I haven't heard that term for a long time. In the fifties, a buddy of my dad's had an Austin FX3 like this stock picture it was based on the British Taxi of the time. It seemed enormous to me as a 9 year old.
Attached Images

09-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #80819
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tadej Pogacar, youngest winner of the Tour since the 2nd World War.

09-20-2020, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #80820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I haven't heard that term for a long time. In the fifties, a buddy of my dad's had an Austin FX3 like this stock picture it was based on the British Taxi of the time. It seemed enormous to me as a 9 year old.
Nice looking woodie as we would call that car in the states and Canada...as you would know, now living in the USA.

Back in the '40's and '50's...in my extended family we had a British cars as our regular drivers. My parents of course had the three Austins, one after the other...from about '49 to '55. Then an uncle who lived in Vancouver BC had a Standard Vanguard delivery van. H had a trucking business and this is what he started with. He and my aunt drove it from Vancouver...over the Rockies and across the prairie on summer to visit with our family.

At that time he had two vehicles...the Standard Vanguard sedan delivery for his business and a Harley Davidson big twin . He eventually had a about a 6 truck fleet...2 -5 ton trucks.

Another uncle was a Major in the Canadian Arm (Civil Engineer) and he was stationed in England for over a year getting additional military training. Whlie there he drove a late '40's Triumph Roadster....kind of a sports car, I believe.

I have one English vehicle. My '67 Matchless 750 G15 CS Scrambler motorcycle. Made at the Plumstead Road, London factory.

---------- Post added 09-20-20 at 09:06 PM ----------

If I was the tank commander I would ensure I was out first !! If things got real difficult and it was a question of drowning or getting out as fast as you can...I wouldn't be surprised if it would be a Three Stooges type of exit...threee guys trying to get out one door at the same time.