Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 11:56 AM - 4 Likes   #82381
Pentaxian

[quote=savoche;5136082]Well, the bears are quite easy to handle. To quote a Montana bear notice:[/quWell, the bears are quite easy to handle. To quote a Montana bear notice:

Quote:
In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear
conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game
is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on
their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't
expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry
pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a
bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop
is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells of pepper.

]

Les says:

Quite true...lol. You should always check big predator scat (poop) to determine it's diet. The bears like those little bells as it provides much needed and hard to get roughage that keeps a bear's digestive system nice and healthy. And of course pepper spray can be a bear's only condiment.

Last edited by lesmore49; 11-25-2020 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
11-25-2020, 01:18 PM - 5 Likes   #82382
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I remember reading, some years ago, about the bear's sense of smell.

"Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans. A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human."
A Bear's Sense of Smell - Section Hikers Backpacking Blog
11-25-2020, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #82383
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

"Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans. A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human."
A dog can smell something up to 20km away. So a bear could possibly smell bacon a long way from your campfire. scary thought!
When we travel in the RV, the dogs sleep down the back of the coach, but when we get about 20 miles from home, they invariably get up and smell the air vents on the dashboard. At about 5 miles they start getting excited and all three come up front.
11-25-2020, 01:46 PM - 3 Likes   #82384
Pentaxian

With that sense of smell, just imagine if you could train a bear to be a tracker dog.

But that query leads down the path of why are dogs (intelligent animals) able to do and be trained to do many things that we would never attempt to do with other intelligent animals.

This could well be one of those questions of the ages...... similar to an earlier discussion held in this thread...does anyone (males) understand women, although with less potential to be as
volatile.

---------- Post added 11-25-20 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
A dog can smell something up to 20km away. So a bear could possibly smell bacon a long way from your campfire. scary thought!
When we travel in the RV, the dogs sleep down the back of the coach, but when we get about 20 miles from home, they invariably get up and smell the air vents on the dashboard. At about 5 miles they start getting excited and all three come up front.
Our daughter and her partner have a big mutt, vet says looks like he is part greyhound and Siberian husky. He is a rescue from northern Canada and looks like a modern sled dog. The interesting thing about him is how he knows when he is coming to our house for a visit...no matter whether it is from far to the east (1000's of miles) or the west (100's of miles) . They move a lot,,,military. When they get about 20 miles or so away from our place, on the long trip, he wakes up in their car, starts whimpering with excitement they tell us...then watches the passing street/ houses intently...barks when he sees landmarks he has visited...local vets office....about 2 miles from our house, then when they drive down our lane he is very excited.

Smell yes, but I also wonder if he recognizes some landmarks that he is familiar with and associates with a visit to our house. The mystery of a dog's mind. Still a lot to understand about these marvelous animals.

11-25-2020, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #82385
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Luckily, like so many Australian dangerous wildlife, we don't have them over here. The worst thing we have to contend with is laser kiwi.
I wasn't aware of that lovely situation , until our son went on holiday to NZ.

His trip piqued my interest, so I started to read about different facets of your country and that was one of the things I picked up.

The only NZ animal life that bugged him was the 'Cheeky Kea' ...which I believe is the scientific name for this bird. As mentioned before, it stole one of his motorcycle gloves off his rental motorcycle seat and absconded with it, fortunately he was able to retrieve it, as it dropped it a short distance down a steep cliff.
11-25-2020, 02:20 PM - 4 Likes   #82386
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Smell yes, but I also wonder if he recognizes some landmarks that he is familiar with and associates with a visit to our house.
Dog butts he's sniffed, hydrants he's watered,...........
11-25-2020, 02:40 PM - 5 Likes   #82387
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I can't think of a place where I don't see people as a bigger risk than the wildlife.
Two legged predators are the most dangerous. One particular species is the only animal known to kill for pleasure.

Note to those who make their living preying on others: Attempting to victimize this old man is not a career advancing move.

11-25-2020, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #82388
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I don't know how office works do it. Being at a desk 8 hours a day is killing my back. Especially when you add another 4 hours for homework and study...
Ergonomics, laddie, ergonomics... You have to design your workspace properly. Make sure to get your computer monitors (as many as you can acquire and run) elevated to eye level and at a comfortable distance. Use a good keyboard, even if you’re on a laptop. Ditto for a good mouse. Take a break every 20-30 minutes, stand up and do some stretching at minimum. Every hour get up and walk around. Get the best office chair you can afford, look for lumbar support and adjustments. Keep your desk clear enough to actually use it (I have always had problems with that...).
11-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #82389
Pentaxian

Dog butts he's sniffed, hydrants he's watered,...........

Yep...things most of us don't check out......or do.
11-25-2020, 04:00 PM - 3 Likes   #82390
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Two legged predators are the most dangerous. One particular species is the only animal known to kill for pleasure.

Note to those who make their living preying on others: Attempting to victimize this old man is not a career advancing move.
11-25-2020, 04:04 PM - 5 Likes   #82391
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at this clever gadget!

11-25-2020, 04:06 PM - 4 Likes   #82392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Ergonomics, laddie, ergonomics... You have to design your workspace properly. Make sure to get your computer monitors (as many as you can acquire and run) elevated to eye level and at a comfortable distance. Use a good keyboard, even if you’re on a laptop. Ditto for a good mouse. Take a break every 20-30 minutes, stand up and do some stretching at minimum. Every hour get up and walk around. Get the best office chair you can afford, look for lumbar support and adjustments. Keep your desk clear enough to actually use it (I have always had problems with that...).
Actually switched to a standing desk Monday, in response to the pain I've had these last few weeks. So far (pretty much 30 hrs or so) of working there with monitors at eye level, external keyboard, no slouching, etc, I feel less pain already. And more awake through lectures and whatnot. As far as keeping desk surfaces clean... adding a second desk solved that problem

11-25-2020, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #82393
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The first time I saw those advertised was in the 70s.
They should work great.................................. If you have a locking/positrack/limited slip differential.
11-25-2020, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #82394
Veteran Member

The first time I saw those advertised was in the 70s.
They should work great.................................. If you have a locking/positrack/limited slip differential.
Lol. I'm imagining someone trying one know where the wheel just spins and the car ain't moving

No wait. That's not right. Where the opposite wheel spins and this one ain't moving.
11-25-2020, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #82395
Veteran Member

One particular species is the only animal known to kill for pleasure.
I don't know about that. Ratio of mice actually eaten vs mice killed by our cat is pretty darn low.

And I think I read somewhere that chimps can kill for fun too.

That's only off the top of my head, I'm sure there's others too.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »