Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #82471
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmmmmm I think I'lll pass

11-27-2020, 11:13 PM - 4 Likes   #82472
Pentaxian

My mother used to give me haircuts, back about 50 years ago. She used a product called the Hair Magician...advertised on TV and available by mail order at only $ 2.99 CAD. It was a blade with a couple of combs...you'd choose one comb, depending on how short you wanted your hair . Then my mother would comb through and trim my hair. It worked pretty good, till the blades got dull.

I recall the last time she used it. There she was cutting my hair and as the blades were dull, I started to grimace as the Hair Magician started to pull , rather than trim and there was probably a few times when I uttered the occasional ouch. As it happened my small dog, Willy was there. He was a rough and ready little guy, all 7.5 pounds of him and he was always ready to defend me to the death, if the need arose in his little West Highland Terrier-poodle mix brain.

Well, he saw me grimacing and heard me ouching away and saw my mother doing something to my head and hair. He assumed the worst, that my mother was somehow injuring me.

So he took action and jumped down from the couch, ran like a little furry ICBM missile across the carpet, jumped up onto my lap, in the chair I was sitting and started snarling and nipping at mom's hands.

Well Willy did no harm to mom, but both my mother and I decided then and there, that maybe it was time for me to go back to the barber, as the Hair Magician was worn out and Willy didn't seem to take kindly to my mother trimming my locks.

11-27-2020, 11:57 PM - 3 Likes   #82473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My dad cut my hair for many years (probably until I finished school).
He had proper clippers and a bit of skill so it worked out OK - no need for a West Highland to save me.
11-28-2020, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #82474
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I've cut my own hair for the last, what, 16 years, I think. No need for a robot, unless you count the electric hair clipper as one.

11-28-2020, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #82475
Veteran Member

I held off getting a haircut, due to the virus, until May 11 when I had it pretty much buzzed.
Made it until Nov. 11 before getting another one.
11-28-2020, 07:43 AM - 3 Likes   #82476
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty much my usual interval, Bob.
I hate getting a haircut. I don't mind the cost of a haircut. I don't mind having it short.
I just don't like getting it cut.
11-28-2020, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #82477
Pentaxian

I go to an old style barber. A barber, not a stylist. He works in shop that has been a barbershop since 1957, same building same two vintage barber chairs. It's a one man operation and the charge for a hair cut is $ 15 CAD. You get a great haircut for a fair price and interesting conversation on just about any subject under the sun.

These old time barber shops are getting scarce and I much prefer them to a large franchise , multi chair operation. I live in a good sized city and when I was looking for a small traditional type of shop, it was hard to find one. I was considering driving about 40 miles to a small town to get my once every 3-4 month hair cut. Ridiculous it appears, and certainly not about saving money, but I just like the Floyd the Barber experience and those who remember the Andy Griffith TV series of the '60's will know exactly what I'm talking about.

11-28-2020, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #82478
Veteran Member

It's been more than 20 years since I was last in a hairdressers/barbers. When I became ill with a disabling medical condition and left with just a disability pension I had to make a serious decision. Every month I had to make the same choice, do I spend $20 to $30 (or whatever the going rate is) for a haircut or do I use that money to buy food for my family, I could do one or the other but NOT both! The answer was obvious to me as I no longer had a job to go to so I had no petty restrictions on hair length and we needed to eat! As a result my hair is now just above my belt when not in a ponytail and I get it leveled up across the bottom (and split ends removed) by my wife every couple of years or so.
11-28-2020, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #82479
Pentaxian

Reminds me of Bob Dylan's "I shall be free #10"

I’m gonna grow my hair down to my feet so strange

So I look like a walking mountain range

And I’m gonna ride into Omaha on a horse

Out to the country club and the golf course

Carry The New York Times, shoot a few holes, blow their minds
11-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #82480
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Guy did pretty good for a kid. What is he, 14, 15 years old?
11-28-2020, 12:49 PM - 3 Likes   #82481
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Reminds me of Bob Dylan's "I shall be free #10"

I’m gonna grow my hair down to my feet so strange

So I look like a walking mountain range

And I’m gonna ride into Omaha on a horse

Out to the country club and the golf course

Carry The New York Times, shoot a few holes, blow their minds
Reminds me of a story.

I recall making a long trip (850 miles or so) across the prairies back in 1969 in the summer. It was a hot couple of days and I was driving my '69 VW Beetle 1500cc, which was non air conditioned. I had the VW AM radio and it was on during the journey. I was alone and I recall the songs as I drove across Saskatchewan. Invariably the radio stations were playing either 'A Boy Named Sue' by Johnny Cash or 'Lay Lady Lay' by Bob Dylan. Both are very good songs, I like 'em....but it seemed constant.

I heard both songs so often as I drove past miles and miles of grain farms, that I got the point where I knew the words and when singing along, tried to emulate...the song stylings ...as they say in Vegas...of these two recording artists.... I can't carry a tune, have a tin ear, etc....so my singing was nothing to write home about.

In the car, I didn't have an 8 track player...nor even one of those small record players that played 45's that some cars, mostly Chrysler products had earlier.
11-28-2020, 01:13 PM - 4 Likes   #82482
dbs
Pentaxian

Now we understand why American cars suspension is so ' floaty ', so you can play records in the car whilst driving and it doesn't 'skip' the track.

BACON

Dave
11-28-2020, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #82483
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Now we understand why American cars suspension is so ' floaty ', so you can play records in the car whilst driving and it doesn't 'skip' the track.

BACON

Dave
I did hear one play. A buddy and I were hitchhiking downtown. Guy who gave us a ride had a '63 Plymouth Fury convertible and as we were driving, his radio sounded like it had a lot of interference....made a lot of noise. I mentioned that the radio station seemed to have problems , the driver said, that's no radio station, it's my record player under the dash and the road is bumpy, making the record hop and skip.

Modern American cars are not really floaty. Many have a pretty good handling suspension .

But you are right to a degree, that back in the '60's to '90's the emphasis was more on soft, comfortable ride, than performance.

However.....if you knew which option check box to mark, when ordering a new American car from the factory in that era, you could end up with a really well handling vehicle. We ordered a Chevy wagon new, in '89.

I went through the order book carefully with the salesman, and checked off the big engine...the the F 41 heavy duty/performance suspension (De Carbon gas shocks, thicker anti roll bars front and back, oversize BF Goodrich T/A performance tires, bigger, wider wheels, etc...G 80 locking drive axle, etc.

I recall doing a stop light grand prix vs a Mazda Miata (MX5)sports car....blew his doors off and out handled him in the twisties. Think he was embarrassed that a Chevy wagon handed him his lunch. Essentially the car I had ordered was really the 9C1 police package. Police cars with the police package....have HD / handling suspensions, higher speed rated performance tires, special wheels (check for steelies with cooling vents), up rated cooling packages, etc.

But you need to know the catalogue and you need to know the options RPO #'s. Most don't and most drivers don't care, they're happy with a softer , plusher ride. Me, I like a vehicle that handles well, brakes well, goes well and as few realize these are all safety components. Getting out of an accident is not hammering the brakes. It also includes acceleration, braking, handling...or at least should.

Anyways, sorry..... as per usual I've rattled on.. ...well beyond the original subject, as is my habit.
11-28-2020, 02:01 PM - 4 Likes   #82484
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Anyways, sorry..... as per usual I've rattled on.. ...well beyond the original subject, as is my habit.
That is the whole basis of existence for this thread...
11-28-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #82485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That is the whole basis of existence for this thread...
You're right and my way is to digress, rattle on....press on in divergent direction and always at the same time. When I was working that was my style.