QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well the quarantine is over for Racer. Today it is back to The Big Shed,
The shot clock is running, folks.

11-30-2020, 08:01 AM - 5 Likes   #82532
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thanks Rob. My wife says remembering the stuff I do is great....but it would be better if I was good at something useful, like playing the stock market.
My wife can't understand why I can remember actors' names from the 60s but I can't remember to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home.
11-30-2020, 08:23 AM - 3 Likes   #82533
Veteran Member

Well the quarantine is over for Racer.
11-30-2020, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #82534
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

These guys are actually quite good. And just like Racer they'll know when to retire - or at least when they should have retired.

11-30-2020, 09:49 AM - 3 Likes   #82535
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My wife can't understand why I can remember actors' names from the 60s but I can't remember to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home.

My wife has given up on just telling me what things to pick up in the basement freezer. Now she writes me little sticky pads with whatever she wants and places the notes right where I can't fail to notice.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think she considers me 'hopeless' at the most mundane of tasks.
11-30-2020, 11:40 AM - 3 Likes   #82536
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
When I was 14, I went on a weeklong cycling/camping/hiking trip with a classmate to Ingleton in the Yorkshire Dales. The last day we were broke and hungry. The ride home was about 60 miles. As we cycled through Lancaster, with 30 miles to go, I saw one of those in the gutter. Fish and chips for two, with change for some pop were the best tasting food we ever had
That was quite an ambitious trip for two young fellows. From what I remember from driving in the Yorkshire Dales many years ago, it is pretty hilly, albeit it beautiful terrain and could be a challenge for cycling.

My wife's grandmother was from Knaresborough which we have visited and then of course there are the James Herriot books, some of my favourite reading.

A beautiful place Yorkshire and I still remember my first visit in '74. We stayed at a very old hotel in Boroughbridge. In the morning we got up early and for some reason that escapes me now, when we were taking our luggage out to the car, a hotel clerk led us out via the basement , through the large kitchen. The kitchen had walls of stone and I recall there were early morning streams of light flooding in. There was a young woman, in a white kitchen coat and cap, working at a wooden butchers' table and a very large dog (Scottish Deerhound pops into my mind) eating his breakfast from a large bowl.

The impression was as if we had transported through time about 150 + years before. Wish my Pentax ES ll and 50 mm F 1.8 wasn't packed away. It would of been a great picture.
11-30-2020, 12:24 PM - 3 Likes   #82537
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That was quite an ambitious trip for two young fellows. From what I remember from driving in the Yorkshire Dales many years ago, it is pretty hilly, albeit it beautiful terrain and could be a challenge for cycling.

My wife's grandmother was from Knaresborough which we have visited and then of course there are the James Herriot books, some of my favourite reading.

A beautiful place Yorkshire and I still remember my first visit in '74. We stayed at a very old hotel in Boroughbridge. In the morning we got up early and for some reason that escapes me now, when we were taking our luggage out to the car, a hotel clerk led us out via the basement , through the large kitchen. The kitchen had walls of stone and I recall there were early morning streams of light flooding in. There was a young woman, in a white kitchen coat and cap, working at a wooden butchers' table and a very large dog (Scottish Deerhound pops into my mind) eating his breakfast from a large bowl.

The impression was as if we had transported through time about 150 + years before. Wish my Pentax ES ll and 50 mm F 1.8 wasn't packed away. It would of been a great picture.
Knaresborough is a beautiful town. Ingleton was always one of my all time favorites. My dad took me there when I was about 5 and I carried on the tradition with my kids, right up to moving here. We camped at a farm which has belonged to the same family for centuries. They had kerosene lighting and a generator just for the milking machine for the first few years we went there.

11-30-2020, 01:52 PM - 4 Likes   #82538
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Knaresborough is a beautiful town. Ingleton was always one of my all time favorites. My dad took me there when I was about 5 and I carried on the tradition with my kids, right up to moving here. We camped at a farm which has belonged to the same family for centuries. They had kerosene lighting and a generator just for the milking machine for the first few years we went there.
That is an interesting story about your family camping at a farm which was owned by the same family for centuries. One of the attractions for me of Britain and Europe is the age of buildings, still used, compared to much of North America.

In '85 my wife and I went for a tour of France, Scotland, England and one of the places we stayed at, was a rural bed and breakfast in Cumbria, which as you are aware, borders Yorkshire.

It was an old farmhouse, which had been lived in by the same family, well before Canadian Confederation (1867). To reach the B&B, we drove down a narrow, steep and twisting road through a sheep farming area , which was situated in an idyllic green valley.

Our plans were just to stay here overnight, but we were so taken by the striking beauty of the area, we were able to extend our stay for three days. I still vividly remember the stunning sunrises....in fact we set our alarm early..... just to sit and watch the sunrise.

We had excellent seating in our second room suite, with it's large, east facing picture window .
11-30-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #82539
Pentaxian

I was watching an old movie on Turner Classic awhile ago and Nat King Cole was featured. I recall remarking to my wife, what a wonderful singer he was and how pleasant it was just to sit and listen. In fact I reran the section of the movie just to hear Nat's singing once again.
11-30-2020, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #82540
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was watching an old movie on Turner Classic awhile ago and Nat King Cole was featured. I recall remarking to my wife, what a wonderful singer he was and how pleasant it was just to sit and listen. In fact I reran the section of the movie just to hear Nat's singing once again.
11-30-2020, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #82541
Pentaxian

Thx Racer for the extra Nat King Cole song. One of the things I always look forward to during the Xmas season, are some of Christmas musical movies from the '40's and '50's. A good part of the enjoyment is from the listening to traditional Christmas songs sung by some of the greats from that era. Nat, Bing and company.
11-30-2020, 04:11 PM - 3 Likes   #82542
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Racer and Covid = 6 days 4 hrs .. then told off you go for another 14 days !

As for homes in the UK, I stayed at a friends house built in 1730 yes 40 yrs before Cook found Australia.

Dave
11-30-2020, 04:40 PM - 4 Likes   #82543
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who remembers the roadhouse tray? I dug mine out and gave it a clean. This one is from the 1950's and I'm pretty sure my dad made off with it from The Red Windmill, in Port Elizabeth.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-J610G  Photo 
11-30-2020, 05:07 PM - 4 Likes   #82544
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If I didn't know any better, I'd think she considers me 'hopeless' at the most mundane of tasks.
One day I decided to vacuum the house. My mistake was in doing so while Mrs. P was watching. She had a look on her face like someone had just kicked her puppy. Being the sensitive/perceptive husband I am I stopped vacuuming. She said "if you want to vacuum that's okay, but I'll still do it once a week myself just" (she caught herself and stopped short of saying "to make sure it's done right"). That was about a year ago. I haven't touched her vacuum cleaner since.
11-30-2020, 05:10 PM - 4 Likes   #82545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Who remembers the roadhouse tray? I dug mine out and gave it a clean. This one is from the 1950's and I'm pretty sure my dad made off with it from The Red Windmill, in Port Elizabeth.
I've heard that Steak n Shake (a burger franchise) has gone back to using carhops due to the virus.
I don't think the trays have been brought back though.