Pretty '56 in the middle!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-30-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
11-30-2020, 06:14 PM - 4 Likes   #82547
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Who remembers the roadhouse tray? I dug mine out and gave it a clean. This one is from the 1950's and I'm pretty sure my dad made off with it from The Red Windmill, in Port Elizabeth.
A&W used to have the car hop service. A pretty young gal would come out on roller skates, take your order, then bring it all out and hang it off the window opening onthe door.

And you could pay a bit extra and take the heavy glass mug the rootbeer float came in.

I miss those days.

11-30-2020, 06:26 PM - 3 Likes   #82548
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
So, one day down.

Anyone have one day?

No?

Yeah, well, I don't see another exposure for at least a couple weeks or so, and in 3 weeks it will be Christmas, then I'll be off on holiday during the annual ten day shutdown at The Big Shed.
11-30-2020, 06:51 PM - 5 Likes   #82549
Pentaxian

Who remembers the roadhouse tray? I dug mine out and gave it a clean. This one is from the 1950's and I'm pretty sure my dad made off with it from The Red Windmill, in Port Elizabeth.
I recall those. A & W drive in restaurants used to use them. Back when I was a poor student, my GF at the time was complaining that I never took her to any fine restaurants.
Well, back then I had a buddy who worked at an ESSO gas station and they had a promotion. If you got a full tank of gas, then you would get a free A&W Papa burger bag with a little promotion sticker that gave the bearer a 35 cent discount off that 70 cent burger.

The gas stations kept them in a barrel and I told my buddy I was running short of money, and wanted to take my GF out for dinner. He reached down into the barrel and gave me two promotions. I then called my GF and invited her out to 'dinner'.

I called on her, she was all suited up, in a nice dress and there I was in my jeans and sweat shirt. She looked askance at me, and asked me where we were going. I said A & W. She didn't look impressed.

Anyways, we drove in cold silence to the A & W....I didn't have a lot of money after all, She ordered a chicken burger and I had to quickly correct her, as my promotions only were good for papa burgers.

We were in my old Volvo PV 544. and it started raining. The waitress brought out the meals on a tray which attached to the window.....and the window glass disappeared completely into the door, under the weight of the tray, the burgers, the fries and the 2 large mugs of root beer. Meal and tray went crashing down onto the concrete. The rain started pouring into the Volvo window, I ran around to the trunk to get an old towel to cover the windowless window and the trunk door handle came off in my hand.

It was not a good evening. All I can say is it was a good thing that this wasn't a first date.

11-30-2020, 06:56 PM - 4 Likes   #82550
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
One day I decided to vacuum the house. My mistake was in doing so while Mrs. P was watching. She had a look on her face like someone had just kicked her puppy. Being the sensitive/perceptive husband I am I stopped vacuuming. She said "if you want to vacuum that's okay, but I'll still do it once a week myself just" (she caught herself and stopped short of saying "to make sure it's done right"). That was about a year ago. I haven't touched her vacuum cleaner since.
My wife has told me that when she is preparing a meal or food, that I am to keep out of the kitchen. All for good reasons that I don't want to go into right now. I think you'll agree that in the long run, being able to avoid 'tasks' has worked out well .
11-30-2020, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #82551
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think you'll agree that in the long run, being able to avoid 'tasks' has worked out well .
Yes, indeed!
11-30-2020, 07:39 PM - 3 Likes   #82552
Pentaxian

Not to mention the T-Bird and the Vette ......sandwiching the '56 Fairlane. All you need for a perfect picture is a '56 Chevy Bel Air convert with a power pak 265 small block, Chevy V8 and a 3 on the tree with an overdrive and 3.70 or 4.11 rear gears.

11-30-2020, 09:17 PM - 2 Likes   #82553
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't remember the use of trays at the drive - in .... but
I spotted this at a Country Show

And .......
11-30-2020, 09:20 PM - 6 Likes   #82554
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sorry I have to do the follow up this way

And.....

11-30-2020, 10:12 PM - 3 Likes   #82555
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to mention the T-Bird and the Vette ......sandwiching the '56 Fairlane. All you need for a perfect picture is a '56 Chevy Bel Air convert with a power pak 265 small block, Chevy V8 and a 3 on the tree with an overdrive and 3.70 or 4.11 rear gears.
I's missing a Lincoln. But then, I'm not sure Lincoln owners frequented drive in restaurants, even then!
11-30-2020, 10:40 PM - 2 Likes   #82556
Pentaxian

I's missing a Lincoln. But then, I'm not sure Lincoln owners frequented drive in restaurants, even then!
Quite right, back then Lincolns didn't frequent burger joints and it is a shame, as Lincoln drivers didn't know what they were missing !

Rather than a '56 Lincoln...let's upgrade to a 1956 Continental and if we do that, well....we need a Cadillac.....but in 1956 to match a Continental I would suggest a1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.

From there on...I don't where we could escalate.
11-30-2020, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #82557
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Sorry I have to do the follow up this way

And.....
Lovely Chrysler New Yorker....and it looks like, even a top of line Chrysler can lose it's lunch . A 1960 with the 413 wedge V8, I'm betting.
12-01-2020, 02:04 AM - 3 Likes   #82558
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite right, back then Lincolns didn't frequent burger joints and it is a shame, as Lincoln drivers didn't know what they were missing !

Rather than a '56 Lincoln...let's upgrade to a 1956 Continental and if we do that, well....we need a Cadillac.....but in 1956 to match a Continental I would suggest a1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.

From there on...I don't where we could escalate.
A '56 Lincoln Continental with 368 V8, auto, power steering, power seats, electric windows and factory aircon is the only car I'll ever need. It is perfection on wheels. Good examples currently sell for $40,000 to $60,000. I would give my left testicle for one.
12-01-2020, 02:39 AM - 4 Likes   #82559
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
One day I decided to vacuum the house. My mistake was in doing so while Mrs. P was watching. She had a look on her face like someone had just kicked her puppy. Being the sensitive/perceptive husband I am I stopped vacuuming. She said "if you want to vacuum that's okay, but I'll still do it once a week myself just" (she caught herself and stopped short of saying "to make sure it's done right"). That was about a year ago. I haven't touched her vacuum cleaner since.
Vacuuming has always been my task. That's why we got the robot
12-01-2020, 02:47 AM   #82560
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not saying anything.