Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 09:53 AM - 5 Likes   #83191
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine plans to try his hand at making Canadian butter tarts, I've never had them, he says they're great.
I believe him and want some. I also would like to try Canadian beaver tails.

12-17-2020, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #83192
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
When my oldest son entered high school in 1983, the school averaged from 3 to 6 fights a day. A new principal was hired. Bookish looking guy. The first day of school there was a fight even before the first bell. The two students involved were hauled down the the office. Cops were called and took them out in cuffs. Their parents were called to pick them up at the police station and they were suspended for two weeks. Their parents would have to work out the details on how to keep them from falling behind. Then he got on the PA system and announced what had happened and that there was from now on zero tolerance for fighting. It would lead to suspension and possibly expulsion. After a few days of cracking down things started changing and all sort of new rules went into place designed to promote a safer environment but also allow for some fun.
This reminds me of a story about my mother. She was a substitute teacher for many, many years. The district I now work in was set up a bit differently back then, but she was called late to come and cover a class at the high school. Because of the drive, she said she wouldn't be able to make it there on time and would be a little late. They said that's fine as long as she can come in as soon as possible. She got there right at the end of the pledge to hear someone throw a handful of BBs at the blackboard and the assistant principal making a hasty exit from the room as he was covering until my mom could get there. She told them, that the only way she was going to be able to do this was if they came down hard on the first person that she sent to the office.
One of the guys in the back of the class started doing Old MacDonald in a singsong voice in the back. She asked him to stop several times and then sent him to the office. He came back with something like 5 days of detention or suspension, I forget. Word spread through the students like fire and she never had another problem. After she was there for a while, the students realized she's more than willing to have fun and everything as long as they were respectful and whatnot and didn't get too carried away and could stay on task when they needed to. She ended up being one of their favorite subs and was one of the only people that would come in to cover that one particular class because no one else could handle them.

---------- Post added 2020-12-17 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
As I understand, Ashley's Book of Knots is considered the Bible of knots. I've just found a PDF version of it

Ashley writes <stuff that I wanted to comment on but doesn't show up when quoting because it's a quote>
Sorry about replying to posts from a few days ago, but I've been busy and not on the forums (what am I thinking?! there's a giveaway going on. lol) and am trying to catch up. I wonder if this includes the fisherman's knot, which is essentially 2 square knots that are sort of tied as slip knots so that the two knots end up holding against each other and IIRC is supposed to be stronger than a simple square knot. (It's one I learned back when I was a Scout and what I tend to always use to join 2 ropes together.)

I'm not sure which I learned first, the fisherman's knot or a noose. I learned both in the BSA, courtesy of some older Scouts.

Sadly, due to the lack of knot tying that I tend to have, I've forgotten many of the knots I used to know. Oddly, despite almost never making one, I can do a bowline just fine thanks to that little bunny that hops up out of its hole to run around the tree and back down into his hole...
12-17-2020, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #83193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A friend of mine plans to try his hand at making Canadian butter tarts, I've never had them, he says they're great.
I think the Beaver Tail is more of an Eastern Canadian baked good, I've never had them. But I love butter tarts, my wife will be making up a batch next week.

Reminds me of a story (what doesn't ). In Canada we have different meanings of words from region to region. On the prairies in the west, we have called little baked goods, like butter tarts, Nanaimo bars, etc....which we in the west call 'dainties'.

About 20 years ago a family moved to a prairie town from deep in Eastern Canada. There were a couple of young kids in the family and they attended elementary school. One day in the early part of the school year, the school was having a meeting which was also going to be a social event...really an opportunity for parents to drop by the school, have some refreshments (tea, coffee, etc.) and a bite to eat.

The school sent out a request to the mothers, asking them if they wouldn't mind sending in some of their dainties to sell as a fund raiser in the school.

As mentioned in the prairies, 'dainties' means little baked goods....but if your an Eastern Canadian 'dainties' means fancy women's underwear. This newly transplanted easterner was mystified .......and reluctant to send in her 'dainties' for resale. She asked the principal for clarification, which was provided.
12-17-2020, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #83194
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks fattening, Bob.

I’ll take two, please.

12-17-2020, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #83195
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Sorry about replying to posts from a few days ago, but I've been busy and not on the forums (what am I thinking?! there's a giveaway going on. lol) and am trying to catch up. I wonder if this includes the fisherman's knot, which is essentially 2 square knots that are sort of tied as slip knots so that the two knots end up holding against each other and IIRC is supposed to be stronger than a simple square knot. (It's one I learned back when I was a Scout and what I tend to always use to join 2 ropes together.)

I'm not sure which I learned first, the fisherman's knot or a noose. I learned both in the BSA, courtesy of some older Scouts.

Sadly, due to the lack of knot tying that I tend to have, I've forgotten many of the knots I used to know. Oddly, despite almost never making one, I can do a bowline just fine thanks to that little bunny that hops up out of its hole to run around the tree and back down into his hole...
The only warning I've seen/heard about the square knot is when used as a bend. Yank one of the short ends the "wrong" way and you'll see why.

I don't know the fisherman's knot other than with one or two overhand knots for locks, but I see it's recommended to use three overhand knots when tying together slippery rope. Animated illustration here: Double Fisherman's Bend | How to tie a Double Fisherman's Bend using Step-by-Step Animations | Animated Knots by Grog.

The bowline is a useful one. I found a guy demonstrating a very nice and quick way of tying it today.

12-17-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #83196
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The only warning I've seen/heard about the square knot is when used as a bend. Yank one of the short ends the "wrong" way and you'll see why.

I don't know the fisherman's knot other than with one or two overhand knots for locks, but I see it's recommended to use three overhand knots when tying together slippery rope. Animated illustration here: Double Fisherman's Bend | How to tie a Double Fisherman's Bend using Step-by-Step Animations | Animated Knots by Grog.

The bowline is a useful one. I found a guy demonstrating a very nice and quick way of tying it today.

Tying A Bowline Knot Contest ~ Fastest Way Ever?? - YouTube
That's essentially the fisherman's knot I tie. I wonder if that's how I actually tie it or if I'm just thinking in my head that I tie it slightly different than that. I don't have any cord handy on me right now to actually tie it and see if I'm doing it right or wrong.

That method of tying a bowline does look a heck of a lot easier and faster. I'll have to try and teach my youngest that way when he gets to the point where he needs to learn to tie a bowline for Scouts.
12-17-2020, 12:24 PM - 3 Likes   #83197
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If you ever want a more robust drink....something that will stick to your ribs.....well you'll know to go to your local motorcycle shop for some Castrol...rather than Starbucks.....
Starbucks none of them around here.
Motorcycle shop ditto
Thats what happens when you live in the middle of ... nowhere

12-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #83198
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Starbucks none of them around here.
Motorcycle shop ditto
Thats what happens when you live in the middle of ... nowhere
I must just be on the edge of nowhere then. Think I recall seeing a couple of Starbucks around and there is a sign for a Harley dealer at the bottom of the mountain.
12-17-2020, 12:35 PM - 3 Likes   #83199
dbs
Pentaxian

Looks nice ..... pity you burn't the boat bringing some downunder ...... we can only dream
12-17-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #83200
dbs
Pentaxian

I must just be on the edge of nowhere then. Think I recall seeing a couple of Starbucks around and there is a sign for a Harley dealer at the bottom of the mountain.
At least you don't have to cross a big pond to get to the other side of .. nowhere
12-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #83201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm on holiday! Working on the [very many expletives in 3 languages] manuscript, but on holiday!
I refuse to start counting any days or I'll chuck someone off a cliff first day I'm back in the lab
Is that how badly the others in the lab write?

I have found quite a lot of scientist types do not know how to tell a story, they just dump a bunch of stuff on the page and hope the reader can work out what they intended to say but were too lazy and disorganised to actually say.

Last edited by tim60; 12-17-2020 at 12:53 PM.
12-17-2020, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #83202
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

At least you don't have to cross a big pond to get to the other side of .. nowhere
To be honest, I'd like to be even more nowhere than I am, but I don't think the wife would like that. I might compromise and try my hand at building a cabin on the edge of the property with a deck to look down into the woods below. Might cheat and run power from the house to it. But it's a pipe dream that will be years before I get to it, if I ever do. (Still hoping I hit the jackpot on one of the random lottery tickets I buy so I can speed up some of these pipe dreams... lol)
12-17-2020, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #83203
Pentaxian

This reminds me of a story about my mother. She was a substitute teacher for many, many years. The district I now work in was set up a bit differently back then, but she was called late to come and cover a class at the high school. Because of the drive, she said she wouldn't be able to make it there on time and would be a little late. They said that's fine as long as she can come in as soon as possible. She got there right at the end of the pledge to hear someone throw a handful of BBs at the blackboard and the assistant principal making a hasty exit from the room as he was covering until my mom could get there. She told them, that the only way she was going to be able to do this was if they came down hard on the first person that she sent to the office.
One of the guys in the back of the class started doing Old MacDonald in a singsong voice in the back. She asked him to stop several times and then sent him to the office. He came back with something like 5 days of detention or suspension, I forget. Word spread through the students like fire and she never had another problem. After she was there for a while, the students realized she's more than willing to have fun and everything as long as they were respectful and whatnot and didn't get too carried away and could stay on task when they needed to. She ended up being one of their favorite subs and was one of the only people that would come in to cover that one particular class because no one else could handle them.

---------- Post added 2020-12-17 at 12:57 PM ----------

I fund the bowline useful for making a fixed size, not tightening, loop around the waist to help with either pulling something or as a homemade safety belt - better than nothing but not especially good.
12-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #83204
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I fund the bowline useful for making a fixed size, not tightening, loop around the waist to help with either pulling something or as a homemade safety belt - better than nothing but not especially good.
Pretty much what I use it for as well. Occasionally might use it on one end of a rope when tying around something, but usually end up going for a half hitch so I can tension the rope from both ends. Think I did use a bowline around the tire for the tire swing.
12-17-2020, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #83205
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pity you burn't the boat bringing some downunder
Bert Bob #4 burned the boat, not Rob Bob #1.