Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2021, 04:04 PM - 6 Likes   #83851
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
laughed like a drain
Had to Google that one.
I wish you UK folks would speak English.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
people who greatly overuse effing profanity
Not long ago my son told us about an incident with our then 3 year old granddaughter. She called muffins "effins". He said that one morning she dropped one on the floor and said "Uh oh. I made an effin mess". He said it was the next morning before they quit laughing about it.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-02-2021 at 04:13 PM.
01-02-2021, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #83852
Veteran Member

I suppose it depends on which language you are being profane in, English has the obvious swear words that everyone knows, but there are also some quite verbose curses that are not so widely known and which tend to add an air of almost sophistication to the cursee when one quotes Shakespeare.

Russian and German apparently are very good languages to swear in,
01-02-2021, 04:59 PM - 3 Likes   #83853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Yup. German can sound angry very easily, Russian (and other slavic languages) is a treasure trove of insults. Spanish is also perfectly capable of stringing paragraph-long curses.
01-02-2021, 05:16 PM - 3 Likes   #83854
Pentaxian

Our young grandson when he was very young and just started to talk.

At the day care center where he went, there were a couple of English women who worked at the day care and they had strong British accents and he picked up some of their pronunciation.

He would come home and ask his parents for a ' crack..a ' meaning cracker.

01-02-2021, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #83855
Veteran Member

Recently watched a couple of food documentaries on Netflix with celebrity chef David Chang.
Interesting shows, but I was surprised how often he nonchalantly used the F word. He also likes the S word a lot.
01-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #83856
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Profanity is used for emphasis. Some are used or neurolinguistic purposes "$#!T" the shhhhh sound helps dissipate anger. In fact it's the most common word used by airline pilots from all over the world, just before they crash. Like, who wants to die angry?

The only problem I see, is for some it becomes so habitual it actually doesn't mean anything anymore. To me, profanity for the most part is just words some don't like. As they are often expressions of emotion, no wonder the Brits don't like them... they hate emotion.

But some would suggest some who uses a lot o profanity is emotional out of control... I guess anything posible. The corollary might also be true, anyone who doesn't is a stuck up prig with a pickle up his derreinere.

I'm not going with "there's something wrong with profanity" until I see some studies. Does using profanity keep you sane, or does repression make you unhealthy? fps using it lead to a loss emotional control, or do you use it because you've lost any semblance of emotional control. Inquiring minds want to know. Anyone know of a study?

https://time.com/4602680/profanity-research-why-we-swear/
“If you don’t study this kind of language,” says psychologist Timothy Jay, “you’re missing an important part of being a human.”
Thank google.
01-02-2021, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #83857
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I suppose it depends on which language you are being profane in, English has the obvious swear words that everyone knows, but there are also some quite verbose curses that are not so widely known and which tend to add an air of almost sophistication to the cursee when one quotes Shakespeare.

My brother in law is of German descent, and and also quite well read. He can run on endlessly with profane phrases in German and also Latin. His coffee cup has quite the profane statement in Latin. It follows the Cogito, ergo sum phrase of Descartes, but instead ends with Latin for "therefore I (insert 4 letter word for sex)".

I always have very long and deep conversation with him at family gatherings, with little profanity, usually only when appropriate to the discourse.

>>>>>>>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <<<<<<<<<<

Well then.

Haven't we all been a bunch of potty mouths these first days of the new year?

Uff da!

01-02-2021, 10:49 PM - 2 Likes   #83858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bears get profanity... The English subtitles do no justice to what he says.
01-02-2021, 10:59 PM - 2 Likes   #83859
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Recently watched a couple of food documentaries on Netflix with celebrity chef David Chang.
Interesting shows, but I was surprised how often he nonchalantly used the F word. He also likes the S word a lot.
That goes with the genre. Check out Gordon Ramsay.
01-03-2021, 02:11 AM - 2 Likes   #83860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Had to Google that one.
I wish you UK folks would speak English.
I prefer Scots!

I’m also reliably told Dutch is an impressive language to swear in, intonation and gutturals lending extra oomph...

A favourite story is about a Scot living on the African rainforest coast who had to work away from home for a month so left his parrot with the local Catholic missionary brothers, who were natives of Cork. On his return the parrot was discovered to have considerably extended its vocabulary - which would now disgrace a Clydeside welder! Parrots are also long-lived and this one returned to the UK with him to regularly embarrass him in front of visitors...

Last edited by StiffLegged; 01-03-2021 at 02:22 AM.
01-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #83861
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sdhute Quote
I'm more excited about getting a KP. However curious on the user experience of the k3 iii
Your post got lost in this rambling thread...
At the risk of offending many here by
going back on topic, I’ll add that I don’t
think I’ll be buying another K-3-series
camera. I happily have two K-3 II cameras,
and while the K-3 III intrigues me, I do
think I’m more ready for a K-1 III as my
next new camera... :-)

Happy 2021 to all K-3 pentaxians
01-03-2021, 07:50 AM - 5 Likes   #83862
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What does that have to do with bacon or boiled ribs? confused2
01-03-2021, 08:00 AM - 4 Likes   #83863
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
Your post got lost in this rambling thread...
Hey, new name for our group, The Ramblers!!
01-03-2021, 08:26 AM - 3 Likes   #83864
Veteran Member

While still on the current subject, anyone else watch the HBO series Deadwood?
It's reported the F word was used 43 times in the first hour, nearly 3K times over the course of 3 series.
I had the entire season on DVD and watched it more than once, It took awhile, the first episode or two, to become immune to the over the top profanity. The acting and storyline hooked me. Ian McShane was great and would have been so without his potty mouth.
One scene I'll never forget is when he uses the F word in front of a woman (she was a hooker) and he says "Pardon my French."
She says "Oh, I speak French."
This was not even profanity used during that time period.

I had read that Planes, Trains, and Automobiles would have been a PG instead of a R had it not been for one scene at the airport here in St Louis. The F word is used repeatedly for humor, and it worked, at least for me.
There is a video clip of it if you want to search for it, try: Planes Trains and Automobiles rental car.
01-03-2021, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #83865
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
anyone else watch the HBO series Deadwood?
I've watched it. Great series.