Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2021, 12:32 PM - 3 Likes   #83971
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Septuagenarian.

Is that anything like septic?

Well it sure seems like it sometimes, I can tell you as a guy in his 70's.

01-05-2021, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #83972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That would be great Charlie if you could send the recipe by PM. I do like bread. Thank you for the kind offer.

In the 'Peg we have a bakery that makes some very good rye bread. We usually go there about every three weeks, get enough rye loaves, some Kaiser and egg roll buns . Their rye bread has no added preservatives, no added sugar and no added ...something else, which I forget at the moment.

City Bread Co Ltd.

Also saw the Eastwood movie about the mule. Great movie. I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood since his Rawhide TV show years......and even before that, when he had the occasional role in Highway Patrol, starring Broderick Crawford, who I also liked. There were some interesting stories about Crawford when he did this show.
Hey Les,

Of course you will need some sour dough starter but that is easily made from water, flour, and time. Or that bakery may part with some.

Anyway, I used this guy's instructions/recipe and they came out perfect.

Two of my favourite Clint movies have to be Kelly's Heroes (Donald Sutherland is fantastic) and, because he and Lee Marvin sing, "Paint Your Wagon" (really fun movie if you have not seen it)
01-05-2021, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #83973
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Charlie's bread looks wonderful. It makes my mouth water!
The best bread I've actually tried however, is from here: Home - Boudin Bakery
I order it once or twice a year. Having grown up (okay, okay, spent my youth) in the San Francisco Bay area I can attest that it's the real deal.
(It is a perfect complement to boiled ribs. )
Thanks Jim.

I was only making white loaves at first, then I thought I would try a 33% Whole Wheat loaf. It was actually my son who suggested spelt. Such an amazing taste.
01-05-2021, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #83974
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
They had an asbestos factory at Elizabeth. One of my former colleagues who worked there said they allowed workers to take home waste asbestos. The workers spread it on their dirt driveways to bind it together to be easier to drive on when it rained. So asbestos spread all around that suburb at the north of Adelaide.

Dave lives a long way north of that so he is not directly affected.
Sounds like the lead mine local to the area I used to live. The white tailings from the mine were used to spruce up peoples driveways. Of course it turned out that the lead content was a health concern.

Kingdon Mine - CapitalGems.ca

01-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #83975
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I'm guessing the white drum about 10 feet behind the potted plant.
Looks like an old ' copper " to me.
Have not seen a round cistern before.

The Loaf looks ... goood.

Dave
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Quite right.
I do not know its provenance, that's my my neighbour's back yard you see there. (The brick wall is his garden shed - huffing and puffing won't blow it down, Racer)
We don't have a fence, the shed and his garage are right on the boundary, but the rest of the our boundary line is either shrubbery or open.
Never heard the copper term but basically I used the term cistern because...

noun: cistern; plural noun: cisterns
a tank for storing water, especially one supplying taps or as part of a flushing toilet.
an underground reservoir for rainwater.
01-05-2021, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #83976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have some regional language differences hear, so I don't know what Dave meant by 'copper', but my experience is a copper is a laundry item for heating water, the water container being typically made of copper. When I was a kid, the one we had was wood fired, the one in the neighbour's yard was electric.
In common usage, we would use cistern exclusively for the toilet flushing device.
01-05-2021, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #83977
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Hey Les,

Of course you will need some sour dough starter but that is easily made from water, flour, and time. Or that bakery may part with some.

Anyway, I used this guy's instructions/recipe and they came out perfect.

Sourdough Baguettes: easy step by step. - YouTube

Two of my favourite Clint movies have to be Kelly's Heroes (Donald Sutherland is fantastic) and, because he and Lee Marvin sing, "Paint Your Wagon" (really fun movie if you have not seen it)
Charlie, Thx for the recipe. Much appreciated. Looks very good.

I liked those movies, but also the Dirty Harry movies and his later movies...think one was called Gran Torino and of course the drug mule film were very good.

However, I was disappointed that Clint didn't continue to make Dirty Harry movies till this day.

He mentioned something in an interview about that he was getting too old to be Dirty Harry. But I dunno.....I could see him even now, in his 90's , chasing down a bad guy, wielding a harpoon with plans to take the baddie out.

01-05-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #83978
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Charlie & Rod

As you say Rod regional differences.
I know a " copper " as being a laundry sink, the ones my grandparents used where larger than what we use today. North of England so maybe even communal.
A re purposed large container is always good for holding water or plants.

Dave
01-05-2021, 02:46 PM - 4 Likes   #83979
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Septuagenarian.

Is that anything like septic?
A bit, except you can't treat it with antibiotics. Later it may degenerate to octogenarian which is much more serious.

The good thing is if you survive both, you get told you're wonderful for your age: ah, the power of flattery!
01-05-2021, 03:44 PM - 6 Likes   #83980
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Now there's a man who knows the feel of a sheep.
Better than you may think. My dad worked in hide and skin export. I've been handling sheep wool since about the age of 6. I have less experience with the rest of the sheep!
01-05-2021, 03:46 PM - 3 Likes   #83981
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A bit, except you can't treat it with antibiotics. Later it may degenerate to octogenarian which is much more serious.

The good thing is if you survive both, you get told you're wonderful for your age: ah, the power of flattery!
One thing I've noticed about getting older, is that I find young people ( those 50 and younger) seem to be ready to offer help, to an old $#%^ such as myself. I always accept their assistance gracefully, as their intent is good.

I'm not quite at the stage where they tell me that my mind is still as sharp as a tack, or that I still have most of my faculties.... but that's coming, that's coming.
01-05-2021, 03:49 PM - 4 Likes   #83982
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Better than you may think. My dad worked in hide and skin export. I've been handling sheep wool since about the age of 6. I have less experience with the rest of the sheep!
Mark, glad that you clarified all that. In parts of early pioneer, western USA and Canada we used to have a saying....something along the lines of...'when men were men...and sheep were nervous.'
01-05-2021, 03:55 PM - 5 Likes   #83983
Veteran Member

One thing I've noticed about getting older, is that I find young people ( those 50 and younger) seem to be ready to offer help, to an old $#%^ such as myself. I always accept their assistance gracefully, as their intent is good.

I'm not quite at the stage where they tell me that my mind is still as sharp as a tack, or that I still have most of my faculties.... but that's coming, that's coming.
Don't worry, as far as I can tell from discussion here, your mind is still as sharp as a tack!
01-05-2021, 04:07 PM - 6 Likes   #83984
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing I've noticed about getting older, is that I find young people ( those 50 and younger)
The depressing part of that, for me, is that I think of people under 50 as "young".
01-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #83985
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Don't worry, as far as I can tell from discussion here, your mind is still as sharp as a tack!
Thank you, young 'un.