Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2021, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #84046
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We've had a week of mostly freezing temperatures and a little snow. Living on the west coast as I do, this is unusual but welcome: some real winter instead of rainrainrainwindrain makes a change. The thaw sets in this weekend just in time for going back to work on Monday: every silver lining...

01-08-2021, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #84047
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
We've had a week of mostly freezing temperatures and a little snow. Living on the west coast as I do, this is unusual but welcome: some real winter instead of rainrainrainwindrain makes a change. The thaw sets in this weekend just in time for going back to work on Monday: every silver lining...
I see something about you winning a drain?

What a raffle or lottery you entered.
01-08-2021, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #84048
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Sourdough bread needs no sugar as it feeds on the natural sugars in the flour. If I was using instant yeast, that might need a small amount of sugar to "start up". BUt I what I am talking about is the massive amounts of sugar that comercial bakers put in their products to appeal to the mostly ignorant consumer. Subway added so much sugar that the Irish government forced them to remove the "bread" descriptor from their product as it contained too much added sugar. VAT the FAT!

Subway buns are not legally bread, Irish court rules | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly
Hi Charlie

Subway and Macca's must both be using the same formula / recipe then.

Dave
01-08-2021, 01:35 PM - 4 Likes   #84049
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Yep, I used to wear 29 36 many moons ago...now, 34 34
Years ago in the long ago 1970's, a work colleague of mine came to work in a new pair of corrugated...no strike that...corduroy pants.

I thought they looked pretty sharp and asked him where he bought them. He said the 317 shop at the Hudson's Bay, which is/ was (not sure anymore) a big department store in Canada.

The 317 Shop at the store was where they had the 'hip' clothes...the newest styles, etc.

My buddy was/is quite bit smaller than me .

So there I am, walking into the store and a young, 'hip' woman clerk comes over and says what can get for you. I had found the corduroy pants and I said these and the waist was 34. She appraised me as clothing salespeople do and said...'y'know sir...how about if I give you a 36 and a 38 waist size, along with the 34 size. I said, ok, but you're wasting your time, I'm a 34. As it happened I couldn't get the 34's to close and the 38's fit me very well.

I came out of the change room and said, well 38 waist size it is. I can't figure that out as my other pant waist sizes are 34-36's .

She replied ...'I know sir, but these pants are cut differently from the pants you are wearing now. They are cut for....how can I say it...a man with a ...more... Mediterranean....build than you have. '

I think what she was saying, very diplomatically, is that these cord pants were designed for smaller, skinnier guys than guys like me, who are a bit on the XL and paunchy side.

Last edited by lesmore49; 01-08-2021 at 04:38 PM.
01-08-2021, 01:53 PM - 5 Likes   #84050
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
corduroy pants
They can hear you coming from a block away with the sound of corduroy pants rubbing leg on leg.

FYI, in case you didn't know, beggars lice don't stick to corduroy.
Wish I had a nickel for every louse I scrapped off my pants during my surveying days.
01-08-2021, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #84051
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have seen a lot of creativity when it comes to finding good snow pegs for winter camping, but these are the fishiest I've seen

Great resourcefulness. But I would caution anyone from doing that, up in Churchill, Manitoba.....Polar Bear country. Polar Bears they like their fish and if they were still feeling peckish...they might ....look in the tent...for...sandwiches....such as this cartoon from Garry Larson.

Gary Larson Far Side - Bing
01-08-2021, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #84052
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great resourcefulness. But I would caution anyone from doing that, up in Churchill, Manitoba.....Polar Bear country. Polar Bears they like their fish and if they were still feeling peckish...they might ....look in the tent...for...sandwiches....such as this cartoon from Garry Larson.

Gary Larson Far Side - Bing
Ha geat cartoon, I love Larson

01-08-2021, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #84053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I see something about you winning a drain?

What a raffle or lottery you entered.
One of these things nephews shove in your face with demands for ticket money and that was the grand prize, would you believe it! Just what I’ve always wanted, of course; whoopee.
01-08-2021, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #84054
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Ha geat cartoon, I love Larson
Me too. Used to love Farside by Larson and Herman....by Unger. My two favourite cartoons...have their books.
01-08-2021, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #84055
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
They can hear you coming from a block away with the sound of corduroy pants rubbing leg on leg.

FYI, in case you didn't know, beggars lice don't stick to corduroy.
Wish I had a nickel for every louse I scrapped off my pants during my surveying days.
I didn't know that about lice and louse and pants.

I bet as a Surveyor, outdoors and sometimes out in the woods and bush , you probably had a lot of misadventures with creatures great and small.
01-08-2021, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #84056
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I saw something fun on LinkedIn a couple of days ago.

"On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by His Majesty’s men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders."
Reminds me of a story my grandfather's best friend told me , back in the 1950's. He was born in Bristol in the 1870's and told me when he was a very young boy, his mother told him to keep off the Bristol docks as on occasion Press Gangs were active, looking to 'press' men into naval service. The press gangs and impressing men into the Royal Navy was supposed to be over by then, but stories would still pop up, now and then. Maybe still happened, maybe didn't.

He was a great guy, more like a great uncle to me.
01-08-2021, 05:19 PM - 4 Likes   #84057
Veteran Member

I bet as a Surveyor, outdoors and sometimes out in the woods and bush , you probably had a lot of misadventures with creatures great and small.
Mostly things like ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes.
The largest animal to be leery of was man. The ones who said You have no right to be on my property! We had to explain that we do have the right in order to perform our survey work. Sometimes it came down to telling them to call the cops if they want, but they always backed down.

A few copperhead snakes had to be sidestepped. One timber rattler had to go, it was poised ready to strike but didn't notice the shovel in my hands.
That's his skin back there. He had a whole freshly killed squirrel in his stomach. (sorry Otis)

01-08-2021, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #84058
Pentaxian

Mostly things like ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes.
The largest animal to be leery of was man. The ones who said You have no right to be on my property! We had to explain that we do have the right in order to perform our survey work. Sometimes it came down to telling them to call the cops if they want, but they always backed down.

A few copperhead snakes had to be sidestepped. One timber rattler had to go, it was poised ready to strike but didn't notice the shovel in my hands.
That's his skin back there. He had a whole freshly killed squirrel in his stomach. (sorry Otis)

Mosquitoes and their stinger have always been attracted to me, like bears to honey. Man is invariably the most unpredictable dangerous animal on the planet. Where I live we don't have any poisonous snakes, lot's of garter snakes, a few hognose and green snakes, but that is about it. And I'm ok with that.

I'm no judge of Timber Rattlers, but that looks like a good sized one.
01-08-2021, 09:33 PM - 4 Likes   #84059
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
One timber rattler had to go, it was poised ready to strike but didn't notice the shovel in my hands.

Did you put the meat on the grill Bob?
01-08-2021, 09:53 PM - 3 Likes   #84060
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Otis' minions are getting carried away in NYC.

?It was angry, vicious?: spate of squirrel attacks leave NYC neighborhood in fear | World news | The Guardian