Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2021, 09:55 AM - 4 Likes   #84136
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We have mosquitoes here in MO large enough to stand flatfooted and make love to turkeys.

Don't forget, our new motto is Mostly True.
Further north it's the reindeer that get nervous around the mosquitos.

Mostly true!

Sort of.

As temperatures rise the mozzies in the Arctic get bigger and more numerous, according to NatGeo.

01-11-2021, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #84137
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Turkeys and mosquitoes....doing the unmentionable. It's enough to make a guy cringe.
Or stand there and watch, eh?
01-11-2021, 11:30 AM - 6 Likes   #84138
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
We have mosquitoes here in MO large enough to stand flatfooted and make love to turkeys.

Up in Alaska they get big enough to saddle and ride.

@Parallax probably rode some when he live up there.
01-11-2021, 12:18 PM - 3 Likes   #84139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Further north it's the reindeer that get nervous around the mosquitos.
Sheesh, the first mostly truther doesn't stand a chance around here.

01-11-2021, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #84140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Or stand there and watch, eh?
Heh never thought of that.

You could probably sell tickets, people would pay to see that kind of thing...well, at least some people.
01-11-2021, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #84141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Up in Alaska they get big enough to saddle and ride.

@Parallax probably rode some when he live up there.

You call that a mosquito....this is a mosquito !!

CBC Archives

Although I wouldn't want to be in the wilderness up north, Alaska, North West Territories, Yukon at the height of mosquito season, which I understand is the whole, short summer up there.
01-11-2021, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #84142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
After I started taking anti-histamines (for other reasons) I'm hardly bothered by mosquitos anymore. Sure, they still bite, but I don't really notice

I still try to avoid being bitten when travelling southward, though, as malaria is said to be somewhat unpleasant
Odd thing about mosquitoes, is they seem to be attracted to some people more than others. My wife and I can go for a walk during mosquito season and they will descend on me, like a biblical plague of locusts....but not even 'bug' her.

I don't know what my body is exuding.....but it sure seem to be a strong attractant. Only thing I can figure out, is maybe my body is exuding animal magnetism....

01-11-2021, 02:58 PM - 3 Likes   #84143
Veteran Member

I'm a (skeeter) chick magnet too. It's only the females that suck your blood for their young'uns.
I get large, very itchy welts, but they disappear pretty fast.

A few years back I made a killing on eBay selling refills for Coleman's Mosquito Deleto device. Local Target stores had discounted them for pennies on the dollar and Coleman had stopped making the refills. They were selling at auction for much more than original price.
Supply and demand.

01-11-2021, 03:08 PM - 4 Likes   #84144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big stopper waves...

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
2019 was a nasty year along the Ottawa River from a massive snow load up the valley.

A couple of my pix below...
Why didn't you use a x10 ND filter on these? All the churning frothy water is in full detail and it makes the images very "busy" instead of smooth and silky.

Next time, do try one of ..... Oh. Right, got it...
01-11-2021, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #84145
Pentaxian

Odd thing about mosquitoes, is they seem to be attracted to some people more than others. My wife and I can go for a walk during mosquito season and they will descend on me, like a biblical plague of locusts....but not even 'bug' her.

I don't know what my body is exuding.....but it sure seem to be a strong attractant. Only thing I can figure out, is maybe my body is exuding animal magnetism....
Quite the opposite here - they "go" for her (she's a Type 1 diabetic and so her blood sugar levels can be very high at times) but far less so for me as, so far, I'm not diabetic, and the mossies appear to be able to sense human blood high sugar levels and "then "go for it".

Last edited by jeallen01; 01-12-2021 at 02:06 PM.
01-11-2021, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #84146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I'm a magnet for them and my friends straight up forgo bug repellent if I'm nearby because "I'll be there taking one for the team anyway".

I blame my sweet personality and above-average temperature. I'm probably like a flare gun to them
01-11-2021, 03:49 PM - 7 Likes   #84147
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The mosquitoes in Alaska are legendary as well.
One night while working swing shift I saw POL spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to refuel one that had landed on runway 31.

(I swear that if that story isn't true it should be.)
01-11-2021, 04:25 PM - 3 Likes   #84148
Veteran Member

My Sister moved to Winnipeg a couple of years back, she keeps trying to sell me on how great it is, then I see Winter(no thanks) Black Flies, Black worm infestations from Elms, Mosquitos... but it is nice for a couple of weeks .... )No offence Les)
01-11-2021, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #84149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
My Sister moved to Winnipeg a couple of years back, she keeps trying to sell me on how great it is, then I see Winter(no thanks) Black Flies, Black worm infestations from Elms, Mosquitos... but it is nice for a couple of weeks .... )No offence Les)
Wpg. used to be nice for a couple of weeks in the middle of May, but that is now in the past...that is when road repair/ construction season starts.

We have 5 seasons out here, Winter, Spring, Road repair/ construction, couple weeks of summer (late August) and Fall.

But it's a dry cold in the winter.
01-11-2021, 07:04 PM - 5 Likes   #84150
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wpg. used to be nice for a couple of weeks in the middle of May, but that is now in the past...that is when road repair/ construction season starts.

We have 5 seasons out here, Winter, Spring, Road repair/ construction, couple weeks of summer (late August) and Fall.

But it's a dry cold in the winter.
We need your road / repair season ours lasts 12 mths every year.
Here in Adelaide .. South Road has been under repair, for lets see, since I have had a car licence ( 43 yrs ) and still going on.

I think I need BACON

Dave