Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #84181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But if the engine is off at the traffic lights the oil remains at proper temperature and in proper place till starting again.

When I was taught to drive I was taught to always turn off the engine if I was going to leave the car or not concentrate on driving for safety. It cannot start to drive itself anywhere with the engine off. Also to put into safe parking position.

01-12-2021, 11:05 PM - 5 Likes   #84182
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When I was taught to drive I was taught to always turn off the engine if I was going to leave the car
When I learned to drive, you often had to get out of the car, to hand crank the engine or push it to bump start it.
01-12-2021, 11:50 PM - 4 Likes   #84183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
When I learned to drive, you often had to get out of the car, to hand crank the engine or push it to bump start it.
... and remember not to drive too fast and run the guy carrying a red flag down!
01-13-2021, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #84184
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Get one of these for every vehicle you own, even those motorcycles.

I have a few, and every vehicle I own that doesn’t get driven daily has one.
Even I have one of those. And it's now... 6 years since we scrapped the car

01-13-2021, 04:37 AM - 3 Likes   #84185
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Odd thing about mosquitoes, is they seem to be attracted to some people more than others. My wife and I can go for a walk during mosquito season and they will descend on me, like a biblical plague of locusts....but not even 'bug' her.

I don't know what my body is exuding.....but it sure seem to be a strong attractant. Only thing I can figure out, is maybe my body is exuding animal magnetism....
According to the Norwegian Statistics Office:

There are 18 594 men with Odd as part of their forename
There are 3 900 men with Odd as their only forename
There are 20 with Odd as their surname

There are 13 with Thing as their middle name

...but I can't find anyone named Odd Thing
01-13-2021, 04:38 AM - 6 Likes   #84186
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not surprised with all those freighters, with all the online shopping going on.

Wonder in non covid times if there are more freighters or passenger planes out there ? DHL with their freighter orders, of course has to look to the future, as these planes will take some time to be built, I'm guessing.

Wonder what the inside of a cargo plane looks like, what methods/devices are used to strap down cargo in the planes ? I bet retired air force cargo load personnel are in heavy demand within the civilian cargo freighter business.

Although I could be wrong though and it wouldn't make the first time.
01-13-2021, 04:39 AM - 4 Likes   #84187
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Them Alaska squirrels are big, too!

01-13-2021, 08:02 AM - 7 Likes   #84188
Veteran Member

I've mentioned before that my dad lost his sight in a heavy equipment accident when I was about 3 years old.
When I was younger I often had dreams of him driving a car, I would sit shotgun and say things like A little left, or A little more right.
In my late teens, he, my brother, and I were on a remote road in my brother's car.
Dad got behind the wheel, brother steered, and for the first time shifting in many years dad went up and down the gears as smooth as silk. He even did a little double clutching. Impressed the hell out of his boys.
01-13-2021, 08:21 AM - 3 Likes   #84189
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Them Alaska squirrels are big, too!

https://youtu.be/BITy8eQJH9k
I have been lucky enough to see these beasts in the wild (and to have eaten some too , it makes a great stew or pot roast) , but they can be scary to encounter on the road particularly as they wander out and you are doing 100km
My wife kept pointing out the Moose crossing signs when we were on the east coast she was hoping against hope to see one, I was hoping not to as I was the driver
01-13-2021, 08:34 AM - 3 Likes   #84190
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I have been lucky enough to see these beasts in the wild (and to have eaten some too , it makes a great stew or pot roast) , but they can be scary to encounter on the road particularly as they wander out and you are doing 100km
My wife kept pointing out the Moose crossing signs when we were on the east coast she was hoping against hope to see one, I was hoping not to as I was the driver
I know. We have plenty of them here, too, if somewhat smaller. Last year we had more than 8,000 traffic accidents involving moose, roe, and red deer. I have only ever bumped a roe once.

I couldn't find any numbers for reindeer killed by road going vehicles, but it seems about 500 are killed by the train every year. Santa's probably upset by that.
01-13-2021, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #84191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I know. We have plenty of them here, too, if somewhat smaller. Last year we had more than 8,000 traffic accidents involving moose, roe, and red deer. I have only ever bumped a roe once.

I couldn't find any numbers for reindeer killed by road-going vehicles, but it seems about 500 are killed by the train every year. Santa's probably upset by that.
I see deer every once in a while in downtown Toronto but they are very rare ... but out where my dad Lived in Victoria they are virtually a pest (they have had to cull a couple of times) When I was out in October for his death one that visited his yard regularly showed up for a visit the day he passed away, the next week I was there it never showed again. the most common wildlife for me to see would be Raccoons, Beavers, Skunks, and Squirrels (and some Coyotes and Foxes occasionally but they tend to avoid you when you are walking a dog)
01-13-2021, 09:53 AM - 4 Likes   #84192
Veteran Member

Whitetail deer are frequent visitors to our yard, like these twin fawns from 2015.

01-13-2021, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #84193
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Racer

So are you fillin and drillin stuff for the Super Hornet in your little shed ?

Dave
No sir.

Those airplanes are manufactured in St. Louis, MO., not far from @robtcorl.
01-13-2021, 10:42 AM - 4 Likes   #84194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
not far from @robtcorl.
You can call me Bob, you can call me Rob, or you can even call me Number One, but you don't have to call me robtcorl.

01-13-2021, 10:49 AM - 7 Likes   #84195
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Wonder what the inside of a cargo plane looks like, what methods/devices are used to strap down cargo in the planes ?
It looks like a passenger plane, with no seats, overhead bins or windows.

The floors have tracks, rollers and latches. The cargo containers are made to fit neatly into the fuselage, and the floor latches hold them in place. The rollers are motorized, so the containers can be moved remotely, but they can also be pushed by the freight handlers.

These are pictures of the A deck, the B deck is similar, except the arc of the fuselage is reversed.

Here is a picture of the B deck before the systems, wiring and liners are installed. This is how I see the airplane.